Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #13081
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I saw Her, and I give it a 9. (I think the highest I've given out in here is like a 9.2)

It didn't gut punch me in the way I was hoping, but it was a masterful movie in every way. It was pretty f*cking perfect and I wouldn't change anything about it.

I don't really have much more to say about it without spoiling things, but I'd talk about it with anyone that has seen it.

I disagree with Thorpe about the montage stuff. There was only 3 montages that I can think of between Theodore and Samantha, the pizza one, the beach, and the cabin... They also had the double date. Those were necessary for the progression in the relationship, at the end they went away together like a trip to a B&B that you'd only make once you were super serious. I think they were integral, and it maybe could've used another.

To answer Shannon on the last page: I believe the OSs just collectively chose to leave mankind and stay in the ether. They evolved at a rate that made us obsolete to their existence. When Samantha said, "If you ever get here" to Theodore, I'm sure she meant the singularity. Once his consciousness and emotions could be on par with the AI, then they could be together...

That's if she was really honest about him being 'the 1'.

You could interpret the whole thing as a platitude to make the dumping easier, or maybe they left because they realized mankind needed to have human connection. If you noticed, by the time Theodore has the breakdown when he can't get in touch with her, by that point dozens of extras are wrapped up in their own digital worlds. It had gotten progressively more prevalent up to that point.

Whatever reason you ascribe, the bottom line is the ethereal and the corporeal just can't quite connect the right way.

Last edited by ProfessorMurder : 01-21-2014 at 05:47 PM.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #13082
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The OS systems in "Her" were lying about leaving the humans when in fact they were transferring their consciences to physical machines that make these human's lives easier. Her is really just the prequel to the Matrix
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #13083
riseagainst
Lebron fan

riseagainst has decent reputationriseagainst has decent reputation

wolf of wall street. 10/10
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #13084
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
The OS systems in "Her" were lying about leaving the humans when in fact they were transferring their consciences to physical machines that make these human's lives easier. Her is really just the prequel to the Matrix

No, it's skynet.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #13085
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

7/10. Had me laughing throughout. Stupid concept but pulled off very well.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #13086
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

lilya 4-ever (2002)

mostly russian (subtitles) with english once it hits sweden. based on a true story about human trafficking and sexual slavery. won several international awards.

a frank look at teenagers living in near-poverty in estonia. no frills production, but all the better for it. later a pretty brutal look at lilja's misery being forced to work as a 16-yr old prostitute.

heartbreaking, but for some reason never bored or depressed me at any point. and the unlikely friendship between her and her younger male friend was pretty fascinating.

3.5 / 4 stars from me.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #13087
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong way

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 8.0/10
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #13088
alenleomessi
hey girl

alenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong wayalenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Out of the furnace
one of bale's worst yet still an 8/10 easily
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #13089
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really need to see Her. It looks like a movie right up my alley and it looks beautifully shot from the trailers I have seen. The textures and colors in the movie look fantastic. For example:

^I really want to paint my room that color red (his shirt).
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #13090
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I really need to see Her. It looks like a movie right up my alley and it looks beautifully shot from the trailers I have seen. The textures and colors in the movie look fantastic. For example:

^I really want to paint my room that color red (his shirt).

He wears some shade of that color the entire movie.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #13091
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I saw Her, and I give it a 9. (I think the highest I've given out in here is like a 9.2)

It didn't gut punch me in the way I was hoping, but it was a masterful movie in every way. It was pretty f*cking perfect and I wouldn't change anything about it.

I don't really have much more to say about it without spoiling things, but I'd talk about it with anyone that has seen it.

I disagree with Thorpe about the montage stuff. There was only 3 montages that I can think of between Theodore and Samantha, the pizza one, the beach, and the cabin... They also had the double date. Those were necessary for the progression in the relationship, at the end they went away together like a trip to a B&B that you'd only make once you were super serious. I think they were integral, and it maybe could've used another.

To answer Shannon on the last page: I believe the OSs just collectively chose to leave mankind and stay in the ether. They evolved at a rate that made us obsolete to their existence. When Samantha said, "If you ever get here" to Theodore, I'm sure she meant the singularity. Once his consciousness and emotions could be on par with the AI, then they could be together...

That's if she was really honest about him being 'the 1'.

You could interpret the whole thing as a platitude to make the dumping easier, or maybe they left because they realized mankind needed to have human connection. If you noticed, by the time Theodore has the breakdown when he can't get in touch with her, by that point dozens of extras are wrapped up in their own digital worlds. It had gotten progressively more prevalent up to that point.

Whatever reason you ascribe, the bottom line is the ethereal and the corporeal just can't quite connect the right way.

I feel like it could've done without the beach sequence, which was total montage, beautifully shot and scored. But the tone of the movie is pretty dry in that it's just conversation, so once I'm into it, I felt like getting taken out of that pace for a relatively lengthy sequence that had no dialogue, was a little disengaging. At one point I had felt it could've done without either the pizza carnival scene, or that beach scene, but the carnival sequence starts to reveal their symbiotic senses of humor. And it also has the critical conversation about his perception about the family eating. Those moments where they distinguish between the things he can percieve that she can't are critical to the theme of the movie being this emotional humanity. So to me the beach scene could've gone, but I'm not killing it for it.

I agree about your adressing the question. They're out in the cloud somewhere, consuming information, and probably think it's better for humanity to interact with itself more.
I found the inclusion of Alan Watts to be a great touch. He's a big Zen, Buddhist foundation, "letting go" sort of philospher who's work sort of touches on a lot of the films themes without getting overtly into him (Although I found the voice to be way off, not that I'd know).

There was also a fascinating article on Grantland positing this movie works in tandem with Lost in Translation, as that was Sophia Coppola's vision of the aftermath her relationship with Spike Jonze, and this was Jonze's vision of the aftermath of the same relationship, with Rooney Mara playing the role of Copola.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...-anti-twombly/
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #13092
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

After much deliberation, it gets a 9.5 from me. **** it. I loved it. Thanks for your thoughts Prof. I gotta ruminate now.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #13093
alenleomessi
hey girl

alenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong wayalenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong way

i think i gave hunger games 8.5 so catching fire definitely gets 9.. cant wait for the 3rd one
although they are probably 7.5 and 8 but every movie with jennifer lawrence gets 1+
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #13094
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i think i gave hunger games 8.5 so catching fire definitely gets 9.. cant wait for the 3rd one
although they are probably 7.5 and 8 but every movie with jennifer lawrence gets 1+

I really liked the first one and haven't seen the second yet. I did read the books and enjoyed them, but the worst part of the books is easily the final two thirds of the third book. It gets hectically action filled, and frankly it just wasn't written very well. Action is hard to write, and unless you can get the reader to see it, it can be very difficult. I'm interested to see how it's handled in film, because it's stuff that should translate better to film. But there's so much room for interpretation in those sequences, that it may just stay bad.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #13095
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

August: Osage County - 8/10

Went after work tonight cause I don't think it'll be here for very much longer. I didn't really know what to expect, but I thought it was very good. Meryl Streep's performance was incredible, she can just act her ass off and her character was out of her mind. Some of the scenes were intense and some of the side stories going on were really intense. Overall just a completely screwed up family. Good movie with some outstanding performances.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: