Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #13096
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Immortals - 2/10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #13097
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I feel like it could've done without the beach sequence, which was total montage, beautifully shot and scored. But the tone of the movie is pretty dry in that it's just conversation, so once I'm into it, I felt like getting taken out of that pace for a relatively lengthy sequence that had no dialogue, was a little disengaging. At one point I had felt it could've done without either the pizza carnival scene, or that beach scene, but the carnival sequence starts to reveal their symbiotic senses of humor. And it also has the critical conversation about his perception about the family eating. Those moments where they distinguish between the things he can percieve that she can't are critical to the theme of the movie being this emotional humanity. So to me the beach scene could've gone, but I'm not killing it for it.

I agree about your adressing the question. They're out in the cloud somewhere, consuming information, and probably think it's better for humanity to interact with itself more.
I found the inclusion of Alan Watts to be a great touch. He's a big Zen, Buddhist foundation, "letting go" sort of philospher who's work sort of touches on a lot of the films themes without getting overtly into him (Although I found the voice to be way off, not that I'd know).

There was also a fascinating article on Grantland positing this movie works in tandem with Lost in Translation, as that was Sophia Coppola's vision of the aftermath her relationship with Spike Jonze, and this was Jonze's vision of the aftermath of the same relationship, with Rooney Mara playing the role of Copola.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...-anti-twombly/

Actually, I didn't like the eyes closed running around at the carnival while getting directions from Samantha... I liked the dialogue about the man/woman/kids and aftermath more than the action. However, I did like the beach action a lot. Him sleeping and stuff.

Once Watts showed up I knew it was over haha. Not only was he smarter in real life, but a hyper ideal version of his intellect would be even better for something as interested in life as Samantha.

I'll check that article later, but I did think about the Sofia Coppola connection while I was watching the movie. Literally thought, "This might be his take on the end of the relationship." It might be a cool double feature to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
After much deliberation, it gets a 9.5 from me. **** it. I loved it. Thanks for your thoughts Prof. I gotta ruminate now.
My degree is finally coming in handy.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #13098
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

White text about Her:

But WHERE did they go? I know it's intentionally ambiguous and open to interpretation. It reminds me if the Ender's Game books.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #13099
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputation

Reasonable Doubt - 7.5/10
TheReal Kendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #13100
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Place Beyond The Pines- 8.5/10

This is a damn heavy story. Like some shit that you could envision being a crazy story in real life that would be 'stranger than fiction.' It has great acting, minus Bradley Cooper's son and his overdone Long Island 'accent.' Besides that all the characters are multi dimensional and well written, they feel like real people. None are really devoid of flaws or realistic characteristics. It's a great accomplishment. The central themes of father-son connection and generational impact are well done.

It's shot extremely well and I also found the unique 3 act structure to feel fresh and not choppy. It plays out like a sectioned tale of the harsh realities of life and the moral gray that exists which worked in an artistic choice for me. I wasn't too fond of the Bradley Cooper middle act with his police dealings with corruption because that's been done excessively but overall this is a very visceral film that felt more grounded to real life dynamics than most. It packed quite an emotional punch and the score complimented it very well. One of the best films of last year
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #13101
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Her: 8.5/10 - The ending was sort of what killed it for me. I feel if Charlie Kaufman had been working alongside Spike on this film, it could've easily been a 10.

Lone Survivor: 7.5/10 - Some cheesy parts but the action is brutal and gripping. Would've been better if they didn't Hollywood-ize the ending.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #13102
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputation

Lone Survivor - 8/10
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #13103
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady

Place Beyond The Pines- 8.5/10

This is a damn heavy story. Like some shit that you could envision being a crazy story in real life that would be 'stranger than fiction.' It has great acting, minus Bradley Cooper's son and his overdone Long Island 'accent.' Besides that all the characters are multi dimensional and well written, they feel like real people. None are really devoid of flaws or realistic characteristics. It's a great accomplishment. The central themes of father-son connection and generational impact are well done.

It's shot extremely well and I also found the unique 3 act structure to feel fresh and not choppy. It plays out like a sectioned tale of the harsh realities of life and the moral gray that exists which worked in an artistic choice for me. I wasn't too fond of the Bradley Cooper middle act with his police dealings with corruption because that's been done excessively but overall this is a very visceral film that felt more grounded to real life dynamics than most. It packed quite an emotional punch and the score complimented it very well. One of the best films of last year

I really enjoyed this too, and particularly liked the heavy act breaks. It felt almost like a parable. I sort of wish they didn't go with the super movie story ending in the third act, because like you said, the rest of it feels so incredibly gritty and real. I almost wished we'd just kept following both sides of the story without the intersection. But that said, what they did choose to do I felt they did really well.

I don't remember what I rated it at the time, but one of my oldest friends from High School did a ton of the editing on this thing, so I know I'm not especially unbiased when it comes to this, or any of the Cianfrance movies, because he's worked on all of them.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #13104
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Fruitvale Station - 8/10 Pretty sad and fvcked up.

How do mistake your gun for your taser?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #13105
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dallas Buyers Club 8.5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #13106
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Wolf of Wall Street

8.7/10

I thought it was too long.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #13107
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Man Season 4 of the Sopranos has def been the weakest so far.

Btw, Tony can be a real dumb boss sometimes. Dude killed his best earner for such a shitty reason

Last edited by KingBeasley08 : 01-25-2014 at 01:21 AM.
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #13108
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

The secret life of walter mitty

much better than i expected, 8/10
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #13109
KobesFinger
Laker Gang

KobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this board

Donnie Darko, 7/10
KobesFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #13110
treadster
Good High School Starter

treadster has an OK reputation so far

American Hustle 8/10
treadster is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: