Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #13111
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Wolf has sat with me better than I expected it to. I gave it a so so score when I reviewed it in here, I think a low 80s. But it's kind of stuck in my craw, moreso than American Hustle, which in the moment I definitely liked more.

What Lonestar is saying up there makes more sense even than this is just a good drug movie. In retrospect, and I got this with some research, the movie is really shown from the perspective of Leo's character, so it is in fact disjointed and out of place and focused on some things more than it should be, because that's how the character is seeing things. It's given away in his to camera monologues. And it's flat out said in the scene where he talks about the technical end of what they're doing, and then says to the audience that we're not interested in that stuff (which is really sort of him talking to himself I think).

It looks great. It's certainly funny even just in a vaccuum. But I do still, even after mulling it more, believe that it suffers from some missteps in pacing, even if some of it was on purpose, it's too much. But I do like in looking back the sort of quilted quality of it. Like they just shot all this debauchery as tonal stuff, then sort of sewed it together, patchwork like, like an addict looking back and telling this story, but the recollection is spotty and uneven.

It absolutely warrants a second viewing. And I don't think it's Scorcese's best work or even close, nor do I think it's really in the best stuff this year, although with the expanded field it fine as a nominee as I think it's close.

I agree with you on pretty much everything, especially the misstep in pacing. I think it makes a ton of sense from Scorsese's perspective that the recollection from Jordan's point of view would dwell too long on the highlight reel of his wild times and funny stories but it made the movie difficult to tolerate at some points. And as someone who is interested in the technical side, it made things a little less interesting to me when they overtly dismiss it (but I get why it was done).

It was definitely funny but the pacing sapped the intensity out of the movie for me and killed some of the emotion I might have felt at the end. His rock bottom moment after his wife asked for the divorce was the only real moment where I felt like there was any substance to things.

I'd probably give the movie a 7/10. Definitely solid but really nothing that memorable other than some of the humor. I think I'd enjoy it more if I went high but that's a sign of a weaker movie imo if that is required to make it a great experience.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #13112
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Gravity
6/10

*spoilers (obviously)*

First, my gripes...

I really liked the idea for this movie and felt, if it had been executed better, all of the potential in the world was there. However, their first mistake was in casting. I've never liked Sandra Bullock and, as usual, I pretty much hated her performance. I wanted her to die the whole movie which I'm assuming wasn't the filmmaker's intent. She just really bothers me... from the plastic face to the annoying voice to the robotic acting.

The thing that separates actors is whether or not you can forget -- regardless of how famous they may be -- who they are in real life and really see them as the character. I just see Bullock as Sandra Bullock in every role. This was Bullock in space.

Clooney has the same problem for me, but he's likeable enough for it not to ruin a movie. But, to have Bullock and Clooney as basically the only two actors in the entire movie? I just watched it as Bullock and Clooney floating around in space. I don't even remember what their characters' names were and I just watched it last night.

The second problem for me was the story.

It is enough drama that these people are trapped in space when the Kessler effect becomes a reality. That is pretty much the scariest thing that could actually happen to a person... and it's a serious, real threat.

Shoehorning in the whole thing about Bullock's dead daughter seemed contrived to me. Then, the movie became almost more about that than the horrific things going on around the characters.

On the good side of things, the audio and visuals were incredible, as was the cinematography. I really liked how the camera seemed to be floating around with the characters and there were very few cuts. Visually, it was a pretty stunning accomplishment.

The audio was also really cool, the way they reproduced the contrast of the silence out in space with the noise in the space station's interior. Very cool stuff. Watching that station destroy itself in total silence was pretty awesome.

And, like I said above, I thought making a movie about the Kessler effect was great subject matter. I just wish they would have done better in casting and cut out a lot of the additional drama... it was unnecessary.

It is worth watching just for the audio/visuals alone. I'd recommend doing so with headphones on, too. That added to the sound bouncing around in my head.

But, do I think this was worthy of a Best Picture nomination? No way. And, I thought -- as usual for Bullock -- the acting was subpar.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 01-27-2014 at 08:05 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #13113
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

Justice League: War - 8.5/10

The Avengers - 7/10

Silver Linings Playbook - 9/10
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #13114
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Re-watch zero dark thirty 3/10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #13115
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Rob Schneider has always been one of those enigma actors to me. Meaning, to some degree, there's a cult following of sorts, and IMO it's unwarranted. His filmography is primarily them baby-do-do-squirts, but every so often he pulls off a hilarious role/character. I watched two of his flicks recently and felt they were two of his better performances.

and ...

Both were an entertaining pleasant surprise. I'm probably grossly mistaken here, but was it the Patriots Tom Brady who wrote and directed The Hot Chick? It was released 2002, so it doesn't exactly make sense? I'm learning more towards the Tom Brady simply being someone who consequently shares the same name.

Anyone know any other decent Rob Schneider flicks I might be missing out on?

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #13116
Clyde
Local High School Star

Justice League:War - 9/10

Great show.
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #13117
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Rob Schneider has always been one of those enigma actors to me. Meaning, to some degree, there's a cult following of sorts, and IMO it's unwarranted. His filmography is primarily them baby-do-do-squirts, but every so often he pulls off a hilarious role/character. I watched two of his flicks recently and felt they were two of his better performances.

and ...

Both were an entertaining pleasant surprise. I'm probably grossly mistaken here, but was it the Patriots Tom Brady who wrote and directed The Hot Chick? It was released 2002, so it doesn't exactly make sense? I'm learning more towards the Tom Brady simply being someone who consequently shares the same name.

Anyone know any other decent Rob Schneider flicks I might be missing out on?

deuce bigalow and the animal
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #13118
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Tangled- the Disney movie about Rapunzel

7.5/10

I must be on a Disney binge, just watched Frozen last week too. Quite nice, it's kind of good to watch something that isn't a full on action, drama, or comedy for a bit, just to think back to kids stuff. It was the usual Disney stuff, but there are hints here and there of Dreamwork's 'modern jokes' and sitcom gags like stuff.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #13119
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Tangled- the Disney movie about Rapunzel

7.5/10

I must be on a Disney binge, just watched Frozen last week too. Quite nice, it's kind of good to watch something that isn't a full on action, drama, or comedy for a bit, just to think back to kids stuff. It was the usual Disney stuff, but there are hints here and there of Dreamwork's 'modern jokes' and sitcom gags like stuff.
Did you know Rapunzel is in Frozen?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #13120
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Gravity
6/10

*spoilers (obviously)*

First, my gripes...

I really liked the idea for this movie and felt, if it had been executed better, all of the potential in the world was there. However, their first mistake was in casting. I've never liked Sandra Bullock and, as usual, I pretty much hated her performance. I wanted her to die the whole movie which I'm assuming wasn't the filmmaker's intent. She just really bothers me... from the plastic face to the annoying voice to the robotic acting.

The thing that separates actors is whether or not you can forget -- regardless of how famous they may be -- who they are in real life and really see them as the character. I just see Bullock as Sandra Bullock in every role. This was Bullock in space.

Clooney has the same problem for me, but he's likeable enough for it not to ruin a movie. But, to have Bullock and Clooney as basically the only two actors in the entire movie? I just watched it as Bullock and Clooney floating around in space. I don't even remember what their characters' names were and I just watched it last night.

The second problem for me was the story.

It is enough drama that these people are trapped in space when the Kessler effect becomes a reality. That is pretty much the scariest thing that could actually happen to a person... and it's a serious, real threat.

Shoehorning in the whole thing about Bullock's dead son seemed contrived to me. Then, the movie became almost more about that than the horrific things going on around the characters.

On the good side of things, the audio and visuals were incredible, as was the cinematography. I really liked how the camera seemed to be floating around with the characters and there were very few cuts. Visually, it was a pretty stunning accomplishment.

The audio was also really cool, the way they reproduced the contrast of the silence out in space with the noise in the space station's interior. Very cool stuff. Watching that station destroy itself in total silence was pretty awesome.

And, like I said above, I thought making a movie about the Kessler effect was great subject matter. I just wish they would have done better in casting and cut out a lot of the additional drama... it was unnecessary.

It is worth watching just for the audio/visuals alone. I'd recommend doing so with headphones on, too. That added to the sound bouncing around in my head.

But, do I think this was worthy of a Best Picture nomination? No way. And, I thought -- as usual for Bullock -- the acting was subpar.

did you see it in 3D?

i loved it, but i wouldnt bother watching it again, unless it was in 3D
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #13121
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
deuce bigalow and the animal

Yeah, I can't believe I forgot about those - especially Deuce Bigalow. I've only seen Animal once, but I recall it was pretty good. Deuce Bigalow was a success as the franchise expanded - how many did they have BTW? I can't remember exactly.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #13122
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
did you see it in 3D?

i loved it, but i wouldnt bother watching it again, unless it was in 3D
Nah. Watched it in 720p on my computer. I actually commented to a buddy that I'm sure it was amazing in 3D.

I mean, I get it... this movie was made more for the crazy special effects than the subject matter. I just don't know why Hollywood puts a cap on what a movie can be. Why can't they have the amazing visuals and not take shortcuts in the drama department?

And, you're right... despite the amazing visuals, I have no desire to ever see it again.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #13123
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Nah. Watched it in 720p on my computer. I actually commented to a buddy that I'm sure it was amazing in 3D.

I mean, I get it... this movie was made more for the crazy special effects than the subject matter. I just don't know why Hollywood puts a cap on what a movie can be. Why can't they have the amazing visuals and not take shortcuts in the drama department?

And, you're right... despite the amazing visuals, I have no desire to ever see it again.

I saw it in 3-D and was completely blown away. Don't know if I would feel the same watching it on a computer screen. Definitely one of those films that has to be seen on the big screen in 3-D to be truly appreciated. It was made solely for that IMO.

Nebraska 7.8/10

Great performances from Bruce Dern and June Squibb. Black and White was the perfect choice, may not have worked as well in color. Moved at a crawl and had moments that weren't that engaging but it came together beautifully by the end. Great father-son bonding fare.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 01-27-2014 at 08:25 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #13124
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Prisoners - 9/10

should have been a 10/10 except the for last 10 minutes.

Jake Gylynthal (however you say his name) was absolutely amazing .

He played his character perfect and Loki seemed like a real person to me. Hopefully we have other Movies about Loki and the crimes he works on.

Terrance Howard was Solid and Hugh Jackman was intense.

I love the "crime thriller" genre....If you liked Prisoners also check out Zodiak another great Movie.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #13125
Angel Face

Red Dawn 2012

2/10 - Shitty plot, North Korea invading US? far from reality. Action's good tho.
Angel Face is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: