Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-22-2014, 02:36 AM   #13321
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

127 Hours - 8.5/10

Wow. Just an absolutely insane story. Franco was marvelous.

Last edited by irondarts : 02-22-2014 at 01:15 PM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #13322
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Funny movie, some of Jason Sudeikis lines had me crackin up. Now I'm crushin on Emma Roberts.

BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #13323
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

I think I'm the only one out of the people I know, that like this movie.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - 10/10

Wonder Woman was fvcking ruthless in this shit.

Last edited by The-Legend-24 : 02-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #13324
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^ Flashpoint Paradox was one of my fav DC animated movies they've put out so far. The Flash was pretty badass, hope they make more movies with him as the lead
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #13325
JohnFreeman
#RunThroughtheTape

JohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

8/10
Denzel Washington, what is more to say?
JohnFreeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #13326
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Side-Effects 8.5/10

Awesome movie that I knew very little about going into it.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #13327
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

The Dark Knight Rises - 8.5/10

Only nitpick I have with it is, there wasn't enough Batman, still great doe.

Last edited by The-Legend-24 : 03-08-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #13328
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Place Beyond the Pines

The plot was really well done because it helped to build the characters so well. A lot of times these kind of movies fall flat because the characters are really given enough room to breath within the plot but this one was much different. A lot of quiet moments with close-up shots that gave the movie a moral weight that took the movie from decent to very good. Avery (Bradley Cooper) was the character that made the movie for me. At its core the movie was about the relationship between fathers and sons. Between of that combined with the excellent score/soundtrack and direction, this move had a pretty large impact on me as the credits rolled.

I'd give it a really solid 8/10.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #13329
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Place Beyond the Pines

The plot was really well done because it helped to build the characters so well. A lot of times these kind of movies fall flat because the characters are really given enough room to breath within the plot but this one was much different. A lot of quiet moments with close-up shots that gave the movie a moral weight that took the movie from decent to very good. Avery (Bradley Cooper) was the character that made the movie for me. At its core the movie was about the relationship between fathers and sons. Between of that combined with the excellent score/soundtrack and direction, this move had a pretty large impact on me as the credits rolled.

I'd give it a really solid 8/10.

PBTP is definitely a flick worth watching.

I watched "Nebraska" the other night

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821549/

Sort of depressing, but very very good. Emotionally gripping, with great acting and an interesting story. Somewhat off-kilter, and almost reminded me of a Cohen brothers movie.

Some reviewers say it's boring but I could not disagree more, and I think it deserves higher than the 7.9 it's currently rated at.

I actually enjoyed it more than Place Beyond the Pines, which while I liked, I thought the second half was somewhat "slow".

Speaking of the Cohen bro's, I also recently watched "Inside Llewyn Davis"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2042568/

Great flick, deserving of an 8/10 IMO. Some fantastic music in the soundtrack too which somewhat makes the movie.

Last edited by FatComputerNerd : 02-23-2014 at 06:05 PM.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 AM   #13330
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I watched Her. I can't believe this movie ever got the go ahead and managed to get such a strong cast. That's a credit to Spike Jonze and his script and skill in creating the overall tone. I feel like the central concept of this movie is so abstract for today's general audience and a lot of people might not like the movie due to it. Because if you don't buy into the main idea, this movie will never work. I didn't at first. It was a great looking movie but like the moment when Theodore starts talking to Samantha, I was immediately skeptical. Then it just starts working and you accept it because the world created in this movie accepts it and so much of the Theodore/Samantha relationship rings of truth. The look of it all is fantastic as well. This near-future with a sterile and ordered look to it all. But also being completely plausible. My mind is swimming with thoughts of AI sentience, the singularity, human mortality, modern-day communication, and so many other things that Her evokes. This is what great science fiction should do.

I've made my way through most of the big 2013 movies and what a great year it was. I can't remember the last year where I found 3 movies to be totally brilliant (Gravity, Before Midnight, and Her). Hoping to get through Rush, Inside Llewyn Davis, Enough Said and The Place Beyond the Pines this week.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #13331
T_L_P
Tim Duncan's Dunking

T_L_P posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryT_L_P posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I watched Her. I can't believe this movie ever got the go ahead and managed to get such a strong cast. That's a credit to Spike Jonze and his script and skill in creating the overall tone. I feel like the central concept of this movie is so abstract for today's general audience and a lot of people might not like the movie due to it. Because if you don't buy into the main idea, this movie will never work. I didn't at first. It was a great looking movie but like the moment when Theodore starts talking to Samantha, I was immediately skeptical. Then it just starts working and you accept it because the world created in this movie accepts it and so much of the Theodore/Samantha relationship rings of truth. The look of it all is fantastic as well. This near-future with a sterile and ordered look to it all. But also being completely plausible. My mind is swimming with thoughts of AI sentience, the singularity, human mortality, modern-day communication, and so many other things that Her evokes. This is what great science fiction should do.

I've made my way through most of the big 2013 movies and what a great year it was. I can't remember the last year where I found 3 movies to be totally brilliant (Gravity, Before Midnight, and Her). Hoping to get through Rush, Inside Llewyn Davis, Enough Said and The Place Beyond the Pines this week.

Gravity was incredibly disappointing for me.

It was just like Avatar. Great advancements in the technology, but I didn't take anything away from it.

Glad you liked Her though
T_L_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 AM   #13332
JohnFreeman
#RunThroughtheTape

JohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

9/10

dat ending though
JohnFreeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #13333
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

Safety Not Guaranteed - 8/10
Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #13334
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Myth mentioned Side Effects. I loved that movie. I couldn't believe that dropped in the dead February time frame last year. It felt like something Hitchcock would've done had he been alive today.

The Place Beyond the Pines I've mentioned a few times. I really loved that too, but as I've admitted before, a friend of mine works in editing and has worked on all of director Derek Cianfrace's flix. And this one was the one he was most involved in, and I admittedly am not totally objective about it. I love the big act breaks and the super distinct three act play layout. I wasn't crazy about either kid, and my only gripe was that it felt like each act got a tad worse in overall quality.
I read last week somewhere that Cianfrace's name has come up as a potential writer / director for the next season of True Detective. Which I think would be a cool way to go given his track record. Could be a completely different feel and still be awesome.

Haven't seen Nebraska yet. Probably the last of the really good movies I haven't seen this year.

I loved Her and Llewyn Davis. Showtime is running a music of Llewyn Davis special that I've really liked.

I know a lot of people were disappointed in Gravity. I was so blown away by it visually that I think I overlooked some story elements. I think once the hype hit the streets a lot of people were expecting more from the narrative. But even in retrospec I wasn't dissappointed in the super simple narrative with the sort of major thematic subtext. I'd say some of it was a little on the nose at times, but then again I've talked to people who didn't pick up on it, so it couldn't have been that on the nose.

I've also reinforced how much I liked Safety Not Guaranteed on here a few times. Not great, but just really interesting. And Aubrey Plaza was great.

And like Qwijibo was saying, 2013 was a great movie year. I don't think there was a true epic all timer. And like the year with both There Will Be Blood and No Country had both of them. This year was super deep though. A ton of really really excellent films that to me just scraped the edge of being real masterpieces.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #13335
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, the 3 act play format was a really great structure. I didn't know about it going in so the end of the 1st act really caught me off guard. I do think the 3rd act was unquestionably the worst because, lets face it, the quality of the actors just wasn't as good. Avery's son played his character a little too hammy for my taste. I really enjoyed the end to the 3rd act but it was relatively weak compared to the first two.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: