Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #13576
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

gravity - 7/10

was entertaining and I enjoyed it but it was no where near as good as the hype had me prepared for. The effects and cinematography were pretty amazing but the actual movie lacked substance or pacing and just felt like a check list of problems she faced at every location. Still a good movie and worth watching though.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #13577
Shabba Ranks
Banned

Shabba Ranks has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Didn't watch this one at first because I heard some bad stuff about it, but now I'm glad I did.

The transitions from real life to his daydreaming fantasies were handled remarkably well, and the cinematography was beautiful. There were plenty of examples of needing to suspend your disbelief(his phone gets service everywhere, apparently), but so what, it was fun and funny.

I feel like a lot of us can relate to wanting to tell your boss what's really on your mind when you can't, stuff like that. Shame it flopped.

8.5/10

Holy dogfeces, i turned it off after 30 min of his repetitive daydreaming, was the whole movie about daydreaming ?
Shabba Ranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #13578
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba Ranks
Holy dogfeces, i turned it off after 30 min of his repetitive daydreaming, was the whole movie about daydreaming ?

Nah, like halfway through the daydreaming stops and he goes on a real adventure to track down the photographer.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #13579
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

Super 8 - 7.5/10
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #13580
Shabba Ranks
Banned

Shabba Ranks has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Nah, like halfway through the daydreaming stops and he goes on a real adventure to track down the photographer.

I took it off at the barscene where he flew to iceland or something, i still thought he was daydreaming in that scene, i was just like fook this. I might have to give it a second thought and watch it again
Shabba Ranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #13581
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba Ranks
I took it off at the barscene where he flew to iceland or something, i still thought he was daydreaming in that scene, i was just like fook this. I might have to give it a second thought and watch it again

That was the last real daydream. Her singing to him(which is what got him on tha choppa). After that there were just a couple minor hallucinations.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #13582
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here

American Hustle - 8.5/10

Not alot of action, but the dialogue was clever, & the performances were top notch. Every single cast member did in amazing job, I also noticed how the women in that movie were smarter than the men.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #13583
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Snatch has better and more memorable characters.
it's got a bigger budget and more splash but lock stock is the more pure of the two imo, i enjoy its story structure better. Feels more tightly written
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #13584
JohnFreeman
#RunThroughtheTape

JohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
American Hustle - 8.5/10

Not alot of action, but the dialogue was clever, & the performances were top notch. Every single cast member did in amazing job, I also noticed how the women in that movie were smarter than the men.
That's fiction for you
JohnFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #13585
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the hobbit - unexpected journey [DVD version]

for me, this kind of worked better as a film than peter jackson's earlier efforts for the simple reason that it's much more of a straight-ahead story. also, i thought the material they worked in from the LOTR appendices worked perfectly, i.e. the backstory of azog and the dwarf - orc feud.

the inevitable rash of changes and manipulations to the story were expected and didn't bother me too much until the end, when jackson has bilbo single-handedly saving thorin from beheading. please... bad jackson, bad!

probably the biggest critique i have of the film is that it pretty much just followed the previous LOTR template of storytelling, cinematography and melodrama instead of going for more of the real spirit of the hobbit... which was a mostly a light-hearted and charming story. no, this thing is more about selling blockbuster tickets and drawing out the big film moments with the added speeches, surplus cameos and misty-eyed moments. still, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, so i will therefore STFU about it.

moving on, i thought the cast worked well... martin freeman in particular. he was pretty much doctor watson wearing a wig, but it worked just fine. whoever played the old orc lord had the scene-stealing role of the movie... and the humor was very much needed. (could we get more of that, please?) ian mckellan was of course a locked choice for gandalf, but his world-weariness and seriousness didn't fit this film as well as it did the other ones. i think someone in the style of john huston (who you can hear below) would have been somewhat better.

also, it's too bad they decided not to license some of the song gems from the 1977 hobbit film, which as a film was indeed pretty weak. still, the songs themselves were whimsical and excellent and fit the material really well instead of just sounding like encores from howard shore's LOTR score. examples--

misty mountains cold / gandalf's reflection. this is the song the dwarves sing the first night at bilbo's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXP8VEXWMs

roads. this also got used in the beginning of LOTR as gandalf's walking song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdQ1E3t3Qq0

15 birds. this follows the true book version of what happened when the goblins and wargs cornered the group, high in the trees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oBvkWgzzOI

RATING: 3/4 stars. if you're a tolkien and/or film purist you're probably going to have even more quibbles than with jackson's LOTR movies. if you're more casual about all that, which most people will be... then this should be a perfectly good, long movie experience... just about the same quality and style as the others.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #13586
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

6.5/10

pretty good story.

fwiw, never really saw the appeal of olive wilde.

thought she was attractive, no doubt. but, thought she was too skinny & her face wasn't all that.

but...she nailed it as a stripper in this movie

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 AM   #13587
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

8/10
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #13588
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Snowpiercer

Trailer

Starring Captain America, this is a post-apocalyptic flick(we inadvertently froze Earth) where the last of humanity resides on a perpetual-motion, self-sustaining train which has been circling the globe for nearly two decades like one of those kids' train sets. Class systems arise on the train. Think along the lines of the divide between the rich and poor in Hunger Games.

Anyway, Captain America decides they ain't gonna live in squalor and take the violent oppression anymore, and launches a revolution. But he and his peeps have to fight starting at the rear train car, all the way to the engine if their revolt will succeed.

It was ****ing awesome. You have to suspend your disbelief at times(I'm thinking of a particular gun fight) but that never detracted from my enjoyment. Shades of Hunger Games and Matrix, even the first Bioshock game. Comes out in the US this summer.

9.3/10
Old 03-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #13589
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Anyone see Grand Budapest yet?
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #13590
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Divergent:

It actually started off somewhat enjoyable and I had a decent time watching it and suspending my disbelief, until the final third where it just got completely retarded.

5/10
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: