Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-03-2014, 04:35 AM   #13576
outbreak

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
At least we are on the same page that it isn't good. Never saw WWZ, and I don't know if I will.
It's the same case of taking a great source material and making a totally different movie but keeping the name. Should have been Generic Zombie Movie Number 24542 instead of World War Z, I am Legend should have been Generic Zombie Movie Number 24541
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #13577
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
It's the same case of taking a great source material and making a totally different movie but keeping the name. Should have been Generic Zombie Movie Number 24542 instead of World War Z, I am Legend should have been Generic Zombie Movie Number 24541

Nah, there were several Generic Zombie Movies that came between the 2
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:43 AM   #13578
outbreak

Quote:
Nah, there were several Generic Zombie Movies that came between the 2
Too true but at least some of them had the guts to be "original" franchises and not sully the names of established franchises.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #13579
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
I wasn't born in 94 and even if I was, I'd be 20 so your point makes no sense, either way.

Avengers characters were boring as fvck and had no depth whatsoever. The entire film had zero depth. What even happened again? They come together for no reason and fight a bunch of robotic whales. The end.

people here are extremely bias towards super hero movies here from what i noticed.

i've seen just about all of them and even Winter Soldier in 3D, and the scores they get are extremely high imo, consistently so, even when they don't really deserve it. i'd say at least 1-2~ points higher consistently than they should be.

can't argue subjective opinion, right? altho i'd swear i could lol...especially when/if those movies were fresh in my head.

i am surprised by low GoTG scores(<8.0) too but when i read RT its always surprising to me how there are always a few 'professional reviewers' with bad reviews where 95% have very high regarded ones. its never across the board good

Last edited by Godzuki : 08-03-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #13580
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
I also don't like that movie. I've only given a 1/10 1-3 times though, and I Am Legend didn't get that for me.
The best actor in I Am Legend is the dog.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #13581
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
I have this on order. Haven't seen it yet, but I keep hearing that the best scenes are the Asgard scenes.
Didn't like this that much. Loki was awesome though. Every scene he was in was great.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #13582
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Kickass 2

5/10
Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #13583
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

Quote:

If a movie is bad, its bad, but the goal in adapting a source is not necessarily to put an exact replica up on the screen. It is to put the director's vision of the source material on the screen, in a way that works the best for film.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #13584
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
people here are extremely bias towards super hero movies here from what i noticed.

i've seen just about all of them and even Winter Soldier in 3D, and the scores they get are extremely high imo, consistently so, even when they don't really deserve it. i'd say at least 1-2~ points higher consistently than they should be.

can't argue subjective opinion, right? altho i'd swear i could lol...especially when/if those movies were fresh in my head.

i am surprised by low GoTG scores(<8.0) too but when i read RT its always surprising to me how there are always a few 'professional reviewers' with bad reviews where 95% have very high regarded ones. its never across the board good

I'll tell you the problem with superhero movie ratings...

They are great for the theater. You get a big crowd, some fancy explosions, throw in some laughs (Avengers), or lots of laughs (Guardians), and you leave the theater satisfied with your ticket purchase.

Only problem is (for me) these movies just don't have the re-viewing power to warrant a 9+ score. They are theater movies only. I LOVED Avengers at the theater and felt like it was amazing, but I've never watched it in it's entirety since. (DKR is a diff story)

I gave Guardians a 7.5, which is pretty good in my book, though I did feel like I was watching the Avengers again. Last movie I saw before this at theater was Wolf of Wall Street which I gave 8.0. And lets make no mistake Wolf > Guardians.

Can you really give Guardians a 9.8? More power to ya if it ranks that high on your list. I just can't put it up there in my top 10. I can think of 100 movies I liked more. /walloftext.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #13585
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Watched Winter Soldier Blu Ray last night and thought it was a solid 8. My lady is into SHIELD on ABC so she liked it even more.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #13586
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
I'll tell you the problem with superhero movie ratings...

They are great for the theater. You get a big crowd, some fancy explosions, throw in some laughs (Avengers), or lots of laughs (Guardians), and you leave the theater satisfied with your ticket purchase.

Only problem is (for me) these movies just don't have the re-viewing power to warrant a 9+ score. They are theater movies only. I LOVED Avengers at the theater and felt like it was amazing, but I've never watched it in it's entirety since. (DKR is a diff story)

I gave Guardians a 7.5, which is pretty good in my book, though I did feel like I was watching the Avengers again. Last movie I saw before this at theater was Wolf of Wall Street which I gave 8.0. And lets make no mistake Wolf > Guardians.

Can you really give Guardians a 9.8? More power to ya if it ranks that high on your list. I just can't put it up there in my top 10. I can think of 100 movies I liked more. /walloftext.

i agree with what Moe said about avengers. I thought it was very shallow but i feel many super hero movies are that way. Its not so much their fault, the characters are already built. the audiience tends to know everything about them already so there is little in the way of depth more than them using their powers in action throughout the movie. I mean i thought FF4 was absolutely awful(despite silver surfer and galactus somewhat appearance), so basic of a movie but to me that was one of the worst super hero movies made.

I even feel the Batman's were a bit overrated, even Nolan's, and it got more hype because of the goth, dark nature but the movie itself i just didn't think was very enjoyable...even Dark Knight despite its fanfare. It was alright and probalby the best Batman but again people tend to think its the greatest superhero movie made which i strongly disagree with, and i feel those peopel are bias by dark nature/goth styles.

And thats where i give GoTG ALL of the credit in the world. It was IMO a extremely fun ride from start to finish. It was a breath of fresh air, not the typical men in tights flying around fighthing regular bad guys generally which is another issue i have with alot of super hero movies. like i hated the Hulk because all he does is fight the military or things that can't even hurt him even if its tanks and rockets, etc. shooting at him all over the place. Always hated Hulk, even in the comics, for that aspect as his main enemies...i always preferred the comics where it was super hero vs super hero, like Secret Wars type of shit. just hated when they fought regular criminals...which Hulk does have comics/anime's with but his main enemy was the army. hate that shit.

as for the theater vs movie in general...to me its very similar to what i said about Apes vs GOTG. Apes was a lot more serious, imo it was a great movie, but it wasn't a fun adventure ride and i put a fun adventure ride above a more serious great movie. GOTG to me is a great movie, the script was excellent, the acting was excellent, the locales and variety of places and gadgets, etc. all felt differnet enough where you weren't beat down with the same...which in the end created a amazing experience where i left the movie extremely satisfied, if not wanting more. When is the last time we've had a good space adventure? I think its been decades...its hard to pull off these movies and last one i can think of are the first 3 Star Wars in the 80's that were this good...and those first 3 Star Wars were all time classics, and i easily put GoTG right there with them. the Independence Day, War of the Worlds, etc. etc(these are even bad examples since i can't think of anything action space adventure other than buckaroo banzai and buck rogers to some degree right now). have all been way below in the sci fi genre imo...almost everythibng like that has been way below for a long ass time.

also i think we have very different preferences. Even though i have not seen Wolf of Wall Street, those real to today movies or shows i don't really go out of my way to see. like i would never go see 22Jumpstreet in the theater either. To me that genre or stuff is all over TV, all kinds of real to today shows on TV...some tv/hbo series just as good as those movies if not better, just like all kinds of cop show varieities where they just don't feel special where i can just wait for them to go on pay channels to watch....and again the norm if anything where i know after i watched it they'd just fall back in the memory of typical cop show or whatever lost in my head of the dozens i've already watched. I get there are many people who prefer more real to today stuff, like someone earlier mentioned they didn't like Apes because they couldn't get over talking Apes....and i bet he is similar to your tastes where you're not so much big fans of fiction more than realistic shows of today.

Even all of the Bournes, Harrison Ford conspiracy movies, etc. i would not go see in the theater ever again. i also hate natural disaster movies, i'd never pay to watch that stuff, and it would take a lot for me to force myself to watch them on HBO even if for free. So in the end the way i see it is just differences in tastes mostly, especially when it comes to some of you who can't suspend disbelieff much or don't like fictitious stuff as much as others, and prefer the more today realistic stuff. i'm more a fiction fan of movies, shows, etc. its really what i grew up watching/reading....but again super hero ones are really beat down to me. After Winter Soldier i was thinking i'm done watching them for awhile at least. just really felt the same as the rest in a lot of ways even if its unique to its own heroes/enemies/etc. GOTG is action space adventure....very different with characters i've never seen before, and again extremely well done iMO.

Last edited by Godzuki : 08-03-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #13587
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Fair enough. Glad you enjoyed it so much. I liked it a lot too.

Our theater was LOLing for most of it. I have to admit, it had to be a good movie because my girlfriend is far from a sci-fi fan like I am, and she enjoyed it.

The opening scene of Star Lord was probably my favorite. Dancing and kicking space rodents.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #13588
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:

You must not have seen alot of zombie movies World War Z had a 200m budget or something like that. It's just an epic zombie flick. I Am Legend wasn't even a zombie movie. Not a generic zombie movie at all.

Survival/Zombie/Apocalypse movies are my favorite but there one downfall is obviously how similar they can be.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #13589
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Watched Zombieland/Super Troopers the past 2 days. Both 8/10's for me and some of my favorite movies. Good to rewatch, funny, entertaining.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #13590
outbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
You must not have seen alot of zombie movies World War Z had a 200m budget or something like that. It's just an epic zombie flick. I Am Legend wasn't even a zombie movie. Not a generic zombie movie at all.

Survival/Zombie/Apocalypse movies are my favorite but there one downfall is obviously how similar they can be.
I've seen most that come out, your missing the point though. Why bother calling it world war z when it isn't based on the source material. I disagree that they couldn't adapt it well, it could have made for a unique take on the genre and shown that a block buster can be more than just action sequences. The UN going around collecting stories about the zombies would have made for a good movie full of flashbacks and a different kind of horror. Could have gone into the psychological effects and the after of everything.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: