Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #13816
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
There Will Be Blood is one of the best movies ever, IMO. It's certainly one of my favorites.

Can't wait for PTA's new film Inherent Vice.

Speaking of upcoming movies, what are some that you guys are looking forward to? I'm really looking forward to The Immigrant with Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner (May 14th) and am also intrigued by The Drop with Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini. Gia Coppola's Palo Alto with James Franco and Emma Roberts looks like a really good indie. There's lots of good films that are set to come out this year, Terrance Malick has a few new ones coming up.

I just saw the trailer for The Immigrant last week online and think it looks really awesome. Just gorgeous looking sets, costumes, just everything.

And I saw The Drop trailer before Grand Budapest and thought that looked pretty good.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #13817
sketchy
6th pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
No white text? I never saw it, but I never saw anybody who thought it was good, not even online.
I watched it and tried to like it. It was terrible. People aren't exaggerating when they say Movie 43 was one of the worst of all time and a huge failure considering the hype and cast.
sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #13818
sketchy
6th pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
PG-13 had only been around 1 year. I think they were still trying to figure things out. That said, I'm trying to remember anything that would bump it up to PG-13 even today. What curse words are used and how much?
Oh really? I had no idea PG-13 was a new thing, haha. Thanks for the heads up man. I think it would definitely be PG-13 today though considering how soft our society is now. They say bullshit, asshole, bastard, and damn quite a few times, which I realize aren't the worst words but still. Plus Doc Brown gets shot and assumed killed within the first 20 minutes, Marty's mom is an alcoholic, and there's an implied rape attempt towards the end of the movie.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #13819
sketchy
6th pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
I always love going back and seeing those old 80s PG films. So much cursing and I think a few have some titty. PG today is candy fluff.
Haha, right?! Like why is Harry Potter PG-13? Cause of magic and scary moments? Wtf.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #13820
JohnFreeman
Lovely stuff.

I remember Animal house having some prime tittage
JohnFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #13821
sketchy
6th pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Thor: The Dark World

First time I saw this I was smashed so watching it for the second time was like the first time all over again. Unlike the first movie this one takes place mostly on Asgard and the Dark World, giving a pretty great mix of a sci-fi/fantasy setting. Think something along the lines of that fancy Elf city in Lord of the Rings meets Star Trek.

I do wish they hadn't nerfed Thor so hard in these movies; I still dug it though.

7.5/10
Thanks for the heads up. Just rented this, watching it in a few.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #13822
step_back
College superstar

6.5/10

It was alright, nothing special and definitely over rated seeing as it has 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. A Catholic Priest is given a death threat and has a week to make amends with his estranged daughter and find out the identity of the man who threatened him, hilarity ensues.

I'll be seeing the latest Tom Hardy film "Locke" tonight. I'll post a review tomorrow.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #13823
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
There Will Be Blood is one of the best movies ever, IMO. It's certainly one of my favorites.

Can't wait for PTA's new film Inherent Vice.

Speaking of upcoming movies, what are some that you guys are looking forward to? I'm really looking forward to The Immigrant with Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner (May 14th) and am also intrigued by The Drop with Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini. Gia Coppola's Palo Alto with James Franco and Emma Roberts looks like a really good indie. There's lots of good films that are set to come out this year, Terrance Malick has a few new ones coming up.

Can't wait to see with what Malick comes up with. Tree of Life was probably my favorite movie of the past 5 years so his new releases will be an automatic watch for me.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #13824
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy
Oh really? I had no idea PG-13 was a new thing, haha. Thanks for the heads up man. I think it would definitely be PG-13 today though considering how soft our society is now. They say bullshit, asshole, bastard, and damn quite a few times, which I realize aren't the worst words but still. Plus Doc Brown gets shot and assumed killed within the first 20 minutes, Marty's mom is an alcoholic, and there's an implied rape attempt towards the end of the movie.

I do remember Marty saying all of those words. I can see it being PG-13, but is a soft PG-13. Yeah, PG-13 came out in 1984. I think the first movie to receive the rating was the original Red Dawn.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #13825
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Can't wait to see with what Malick comes up with. Tree of Life was probably my favorite movie of the past 5 years so his new releases will be an automatic watch for me.
Did you see his newest film To The Wonder? It came out last year and is shot in the same maneer as Tree. It got pretty bad reviews but I really loved it because I love Malick.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #13826
EwingMan
I hit open layups

on malick: loved to the wonder, but underwhelmed by tree; i thought the metaphysical bookends were tedious and less-than-inspiring at the time, but its probably worth a re-watch.

been mulling over under the skin for a couple days. its certainly more akin to birth (which i enjoyed) than to sexy beast, but it's more cinematic(?)/lyrical than either.
its certainly elliptical, interested more in textures than explicit narrative. some beautiful and haunting visual and aural compositions. it certainly doesn't strive to be emotionally engaging, and its rhythms might teeter on monotony.

FWIW: disagreed philosophically with the framing of what may have been the penultimate scene. also, scarjo was pretty ****ing hot, considering the circumstances.

probably the antithesis to species, would cautiously recommend.

7.5-8
EwingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #13827
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

The Hunt

This movie pissed me off.

Not because it was bad or anything; actually it was excellent. Bitches though. Bitches.

You might assume the movie has something to do with hunting, and it does, but not in the way you'd think. Think more along the lines of a witch hunt.

9/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 04-24-2014 at 06:52 AM.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #13828
step_back
College superstar

Locke 7/10

Interesting Drama from Steven Knight. The film stars Tom Hardy and takes place in his car. The dialogue is between him and whoever he might be on the phone to. The film is essentially about a mans life unraveling in his journey down to London. It's an Independent film and leans towards a Theatre piece than a typical film. Definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of indie films.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #13829
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwingMan
on malick: loved to the wonder, but underwhelmed by tree; i thought the metaphysical bookends were tedious and less-than-inspiring at the time, but its probably worth a re-watch.

been mulling over under the skin for a couple days. its certainly more akin to birth (which i enjoyed) than to sexy beast, but it's more cinematic(?)/lyrical than either.
its certainly elliptical, interested more in textures than explicit narrative. some beautiful and haunting visual and aural compositions. it certainly doesn't strive to be emotionally engaging, and its rhythms might teeter on monotony.

FWIW: disagreed philosophically with the framing of what may have been the penultimate scene. also, scarjo was pretty ****ing hot, considering the circumstances.

probably the antithesis to species, would cautiously recommend.

7.5-8

I had a similar feeling toward Tree.

Under the Skin I was just writing about in the thread about naked Scarlett Johansen. Hopefully it's still playing at the little arthouse theatre near me. I mentioned Species in there too. What little I know it struck me as a tonal horror flick falling somewhere between Species explicit gore and Starman's hackney'd 80s formula, but falling somewhere on a similar spectrum. Maybe some bodysnatchers in there too.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #13830
dazzer87
College superstar

City of Men
Saw this on netflix. 7/10. Not as good as City of God......
dazzer87 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: