Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #13906
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 20,100
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Gone Girl 8.5/10

Good movie. Terrible acting in the beginning, but it improves. Didn't love the ending. Minus a few issues, overall an interesting story and pretty engaging.



Gone Girl: 8/10

Saw this yesterday and I thought the same exact thing. It was jarring too because Fincher directed movies are always on point in terms of actors' performances. But then once I saw the whole thing (and trying not to spoil anything) I think it was due to the fact that they were supposed to come off as bad actors- people living a lie. Part of the overall theme was that they were people pretending to be something they're not, which is why as the movie goes on and they start to reveal their true selves, the acting improved exponentially.

Just my take anyway, but definitely noticed the shit acting at the beginning and was like why has this piece of shit been getting such rave reviews. Did not expect it to play out the way it did since I hadn't read the book or any synopses. Definitely well put together as a thriller and even though it's almost 3 hours long, it holds your attention the whole way through. A little far-fetched, but great storytelling.




The Equalizer: 7/10

Saw this right before Gone Girl. It's your average old ex special forces/CIA operative reluctantly kicks ass and takes names in a violent murder spree flick. Some decent action. Denzel is solid as always, but not really asked to do much in terms of acting. Good popcorn flick.



Zodiac: 8.2/10

Another great one from Fincher. Caught this a while ago on Netflix. I like how they focused on the investigation as opposed to the killer/killings. Really showed the frustration that went into chasing a ghost for decades while being taunted.

Arthur Leigh Allen did that shit btw.



Blue Ruin: 7.5/10

Reminded me a lot of Drive in that for long sections of the film, it was almost like a silent movie. The lead actor had to convey things the old fashioned way, without any words. That's a really hard thing to do convincingly and he hit it out of the park. Really solid performance, especially from a guy who doesn't seem too interested in being in front of the camera.

The only thing that really prevented it from being rated higher in my book was the ending. Didn't care for it.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 10-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #13907
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Saw this yesterday and I thought the same exact thing. It was jarring too because Fincher directed movies are always on point in terms of actors' performances. But then once I saw the whole thing (and trying not to spoil anything) I think it was due to the fact that they were supposed to come off as bad actors- people living a lie. Part of the overall theme was that they were people pretending to be something they're not, which is why as the movie goes on and they start to reveal their true selves, the acting improved exponentially.

Just my take anyway, but definitely noticed the shit acting at the beginning and was like why has this piece of shit been getting such rave reviews. Did not expect it to play out the way it did since I hadn't read the book or any synopses. Definitely well put together as a thriller and even though it's almost 3 hours long, it holds your attention the whole way through. A little far-fetched, but great storytelling.

I considered that as well, but I don't think they would intentionally act poorly. That seems like too big of a risk for a pretty serious movie. Plus, Affleck's acting was good anyway even when he was faking things on the TV interview, so if they were intentionally making his acting bad earlier, they would have made it bad at that time too. My theory was that Affleck doesn't know how to have romantic chemistry (think to his worst movies ever, and they all involved bad romantic chemistry). The female actor was also bad. The only time she her acting didn't seem bad was when she was spending time with the white trash people.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #13908
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 20,100
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I considered that as well, but I don't think they would intentionally act poorly. That seems like too big of a risk for a pretty serious movie. Plus, Affleck's acting was good anyway even when he was faking things on the TV interview, so if they were intentionally making his acting bad earlier, they would have made it bad at that time too. My theory was that Affleck doesn't know how to have romantic chemistry (think to his worst movies ever, and they all involved bad romantic chemistry). The female actor was also bad. The only time she her acting didn't seem bad was when she was spending time with the white trash people.

*Minor Spoilers* I don't know, I thought their chemistry was great in the end scenes, even if it wasn't 'romantic'. The acting was like soap opera level in the beginning. Seemed REALLY out of place for a Fincher film, a director known for being extremely meticulous and demanding of actors. Having seen the whole thing play out, I really think he had them intentionally ham it up in the beginning. They were supposed to be a completely fake, annoyingly perfect couple. Basically Ken and Barbie in real life, completely plastic.

You know who really surprised me though- Tyler Perry. I hate that cross-dressing bastard with a passion, but he was perfect in that role. He stole the show in many scenes, and not because he was doing his blackface/Aunt Jemima bit. The casting director has a great eye.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #13909
BRabbiT
....
 
BRabbiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .....
Posts: 5,451
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal


good movie.

emily blunt nailed that.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #13910
FatComputerNerd
College star
 
FatComputerNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Believeland
Posts: 3,807
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 4/10

Really? I recall enjoying it. Nothing super-memorable perhaps, but certainly deserving higher than a 4.

I may need to re-watch it; I saw it when it first came out and have forgotten quite a bit...just remember liking it.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #13911
FatComputerNerd
College star
 
FatComputerNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Believeland
Posts: 3,807
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94


9/10


+1

Watched this the other night after seeing it posted here and thoroughly enjoyed it.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #13912
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
You know who really surprised me though- Tyler Perry. I hate that cross-dressing bastard with a passion, but he was perfect in that role. He stole the show in many scenes, and not because he was doing his blackface/Aunt Jemima bit. The casting director has a great eye.

Completely agree about Tyler Perry. Movie was filled with people not known to be great/serious actors.

Ben Affleck (his share of criticism throughout)
The wife (not actually sure of her reputation, but I her acting bothered me the most throughout the film)
Girl from Blurred Lines
Tyler Perry
Neil Patrick Harris (undeniably talented, but not known for serious roles)
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #13913
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,629
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59


Gone Girl: 8/10

Saw this yesterday and I thought the same exact thing. It was jarring too because Fincher directed movies are always on point in terms of actors' performances. But then once I saw the whole thing (and trying not to spoil anything) I think it was due to the fact that they were supposed to come off as bad actors- people living a lie. Part of the overall theme was that they were people pretending to be something they're not, which is why as the movie goes on and they start to reveal their true selves, the acting improved exponentially.

Just my take anyway, but definitely noticed the shit acting at the beginning and was like why has this piece of shit been getting such rave reviews. Did not expect it to play out the way it did since I hadn't read the book or any synopses. Definitely well put together as a thriller and even though it's almost 3 hours long, it holds your attention the whole way through. A little far-fetched, but great storytelling.




The Equalizer: 7/10

Saw this right before Gone Girl. It's your average old ex special forces/CIA operative reluctantly kicks ass and takes names in a violent murder spree flick. Some decent action. Denzel is solid as always, but not really asked to do much in terms of acting. Good popcorn flick.



Zodiac: 8.2/10

Another great one from Fincher. Caught this a while ago on Netflix. I like how they focused on the investigation as opposed to the killer/killings. Really showed the frustration that went into chasing a ghost for decades while being taunted.

Arthur Leigh Allen did that shit btw.



Blue Ruin: 7.5/10

Reminded me a lot of Drive in that for long sections of the film, it was almost like a silent movie. The lead actor had to convey things the old fashioned way, without any words. That's a really hard thing to do convincingly and he hit it out of the park. Really solid performance, especially from a guy who doesn't seem too interested in being in front of the camera.

The only thing that really prevented it from being rated higher in my book was the ending. Didn't care for it.

I think you've been following me.

I watched Blue Ruin on Netflix Friday, then caught Gone Girl and The Equalizer yesterday afternoon after work. My opinions are similar to yours. I'll probably write out my thoughts tomorrow back at work. I had some structural problems with Gone Girl's story, but I still enjoyed it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #13914
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,629
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
*Minor Spoilers* I don't know, I thought their chemistry was great in the end scenes, even if it wasn't 'romantic'. The acting was like soap opera level in the beginning. Seemed REALLY out of place for a Fincher film, a director known for being extremely meticulous and demanding of actors. Having seen the whole thing play out, I really think he had them intentionally ham it up in the beginning. They were supposed to be a completely fake, annoyingly perfect couple. Basically Ken and Barbie in real life, completely plastic.

You know who really surprised me though- Tyler Perry. I hate that cross-dressing bastard with a passion, but he was perfect in that role. He stole the show in many scenes, and not because he was doing his blackface/Aunt Jemima bit. The casting director has a great eye.


I read it as not really fake feeling acting, but more of a surreal effect, and I thought it was on purpose because it was coming out of diary, so it was sort of idealized. Everything was a little too cheesey perfect.

Totally agree about the casting. Tyler Perry basically giving the "psshh ... crazy ass white folks" line killed me.

A lot of bit parts from people I recognized and like. Go was that Carrie Coon chick from The Leftovers who was great. I thought Ratkowski was better than could be expected for being basically just a great rack. Kim Dickens I thought was good from SoA and Deadwood. Nice to see her as something other than a lady pimp. The girl from Episodes was the photo chick. I thought the hammy news chick was good.

I wasn't crazy about the vacant thing the wife had going. And the other sequences that seemed like bad acting almost always came from the wife's pov and narration.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #13915
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas
 
NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Am I here to amuse you?
Posts: 4,504
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Watched bits and pieces of Philadelphia last night (I've seen the whole thing years ago, couldn't sleep and watched 3-4 3 minute clips). Easily a solid 8.5/10.

I always was fond of this movie, Tom Hanks did a fantastic job and the library scene when Denzel comes to Tom's rescue was deep. I won't give anything away more than that.

Will probably rewatch the whole film sometime this week maybe before bed tonight.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #13916
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,629
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I saw Gone Girl, but I wrote about that in it's own thread, but I figured I'd talk about The Equalizer, which I also saw this weekend.


It's scoring in the low 60s on RT, and it's a pretty straight action flick, so honestly it's not the type of thing I'd usually go see. But I liked the trailers. It felt like an old school type action thing. Not some special effects blockbuster. Just a straight man vs. the world sort of badass thing like Death Wish, Rambo, or any other number o revenge porn type movies that I was fond of as a kid. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised. And I'm not a huge Denzel guy. I like him plenty, and have liked some of his movies more than the concensus I'd say (like Book of Eli), but I'm also not someone who's all in the movie star type character who's just playing himself.

This is totally hokey schlock. But if you know that going in, and just ride with it, it serves up what you're looking for. It gives you comedically bad bad guys. The main guy I joked was practically twisting an imaginary mustache, then a henchman shows up with an actual twisted mustache. They're cardboard cut outs with zero redeemable qualities. They're russian mobsters with bad tattoos, who run drugs, girls, gasoline, and whatever other social ills you want to throw at them. And they beat their women. And then laugh about it.

Denzel is perhaps the nicest guy in the entire world. A widower who just has a hard time sleeping, and likes to read quietly with a nice cup of tea late at night at the local corner diner, where he befriends ... but never judges ... a young russian prostitute. In the daytime hours he's the most awesomest manager at a big box hardward supply store anyone could ever ask for. He jokes with the youngsters. Is still sexually attractive to the ladies. And is even helping the fat guy lose weight for his big shot at a security job. All this while still being the stores preeminent softball player at games the whole store attends.

I mean ... pro wrestling doesn't offer up a more kabooki style set up of black and white to pay it's audience off with.

Anyway the plot from there is pretty obvious. The girl ... Denzel is pissed ... Russian mob. It gets crazy wildly out of control throwing twists about Denzel's character and goes comedically off the tracks of just good old fashioned common sense within the plot. But they've so overdone the characters, that the payoff is fine for me to be ok with it.

The violence is hyper stylized with these crazy sequences where they shoot from Denzel's POV while he spots everything he's going to do to wipe out an entire room of bad guys. It's a nice little gimmick. And really the whole movie is just an excuse to bounce from set piece to set piece. Some of which were excellent. I particularly liked the closing one. And I also thought the comically evil main villain did his job in being comically evil.

It's by no means a great movie. But it's worth a low to mid 70s, and will probably be a great cable movie as it ages. It may be too violent to work on some the basic cable networks though that it may otherwise have thrived on.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #13917
kurple
5-time NBA All-Star
 
kurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,940
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

i often hear people say that about denzel, but i dont see it

great, not amazing actor, and i have enjoyed most if not all of his films. Training Day might be my favorite movie
kurple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #13918
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Denzel seems to be following Liam Neeson's path recently. I used to get excited for movies both of those guys were in, but now they seem to just go for generic action thrillers for a paycheck.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #13919
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,629
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Denzel seems to be following Liam Neeson's path recently. I used to get excited for movies both of those guys were in, but now they seem to just go for generic action thrillers for a paycheck.


You still see Denzel try sometimes. Like with Flight last year which was total Oscar bait, but while I liked it it was a tick below some of the other stuff.

But yeah, there's a lot of leading actor in an action money reach type thing. Like that train movie a couple years ago. Some of them are ok though.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #13920
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas
 
NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Am I here to amuse you?
Posts: 4,504
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
You still see Denzel try sometimes. Like with Flight last year which was total Oscar bait, but while I liked it it was a tick below some of the other stuff.

But yeah, there's a lot of leading actor in an action money reach type thing. Like that train movie a couple years ago. Some of them are ok though.

Flight was legit.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy