Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #13921
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I saw Jodorowsky's Dune last night. I'd give it an 8.8

The theater was packed with me, my friend who wouldn't have gone unless I brought it up, and one random guy.

As a documentary was pretty flawless. It actually sort of played with the form a bit. Usually with a story like this they show the rise and fall, but this was more of a rise followed by a dispersion of talent. While the movie was never made, the ideas and people Jodorowsky brought into the movie industry changed the game. So it won and became legendary even if it doesn't exist. So many classic shots in films came from his storyboards.

Jodorowsky is a hell of an interesting guy, and there were quite a few laugh out loud moments.

It was a very cool story about a guy who was doing things the world just wasn't ready for. His struggle and luck to get it as far as he did. His passion and genius is palpable.

I recommend it if you're into sci-fi, and art in general.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #13922
Lonely_Sandberg
Serious playground baller

3/5
Lonely_Sandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #13923
FatComputerNerd
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely_Sandberg

As I recall, it was a horror film.

The Purge 3/5

rep for the lulz, but I thought The Purge was decent. Nothing super-special but I'd give it at least a 5 I think.

There's a sequel coming out later this year that I'm actually looking forward to!
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #13924
Lonely_Sandberg
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
rep for the lulz, but I thought The Purge was decent. Nothing super-special but I'd give it at least a 5 I think.

There's a sequel coming out later this year that I'm actually looking forward to!

3/5 means watchable to me. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Sequel looks better.

Last edited by Lonely_Sandberg : 05-04-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Lonely_Sandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #13925
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Rogue

Trailer

Best killer croc movie ever IMO. Not a whole lot in the way of competition but still. A few recognizable faces including Sam Worthington. Kinda strange, but three out of the last four movies I've watched have had Mia Wasikowska in them.

7.5/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #13926
ArbitraryWater
Kobe Polanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Rogue

Trailer

Best killer croc movie ever IMO. Not a whole lot in the way of competition but still. A few recognizable faces including Sam Worthington. Kinda strange, but three out of the last four movies I've watched have had Mia Wasikowska in them.

7.5/10

super strange
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #13927
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Maniac

Frodo Baggins plays a serial killer with a propensity for scalping his victims and fixing said scalps to the heads of mannequins he owns at his mannequin restoration shop. He then proceeds to pretend they're real people. The bulk of the story kicks off when he meets a chick who wants to photograph his mannequins for some exhibition she's doing. She's hot as f*ck and appreciates his craft, which leads to him becoming enamored with her.

Probably the most important thing to mention is this is shot almost entirely in the first-person, killer's point-of-view. In that regard it's very effective at making the killings more personal feeling; this one pushed my "must look away" button far more often than usual. It also serves to convey his disorientation when he's having migrains, and crazy person delusions.

The soundtrack is pretty interesting in that it's very 80s synthish.

6.7/10
Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #13928
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Rogue

Trailer

7.5/10

Saw that a couple years ago. Essentially an modern, isolated Tremors with a croc and Australian actors. I enjoyed it.

Watched Hang'em High. 8/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #13929
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Afflicted

Trailer

You know how during these hand-held/found-footage movies you tend to wonder why the character doesn't put the camera down as to better defend themselves against demons and shit? Well this one gets around that by way of one of the characters being a documentary film-maker who's intent is to film the entire world-wide, year-long trip he and a buddy are going on and turn it into a movie, and also having body-mounted cameras and shit.

So anyway, early on in the trip, one of the friends hooks up with this chick in Paris. He's found in her hotel room a while later beaten and bloodied with no recollection of what happened. Then over the course of the following days, he exhibits physiological characteristics similar to...

Really convincing effects. Not terribly scary but it has it's moments. One of the best movies of its kind I've seen in quite a while.

7.7/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 05-06-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #13930
Chris99
Great young streetballer

Amazing Spider-Man 2. 7.5/10

Electro had some serious DBZ moments in there.
Chris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #13931
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Oldboy (Spike Lee) - 6.5/10

Completely and utterly pointless remake. I watched the whole time hoping for something new, but it wasn't there. They remade the famous scenes from the original, but they were worse. It was watchable and likely worth showing to people if they refuse to watch movies with subtitles, but otherwise, watch the original and avoid this one.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #13932
Doranku
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
I wasn't gonna watch this in theaters regardless. But this movie is split, some love it, and some hate it. Some even comparing it to Batman & Robin...

The first 3/4 of the movie was terrible. Super cheesy/corny, cringeworthy at times. It got better towards the end, but it was a lot worse than the first one imo.

I'd give it like a 5/10. Pretty disappointing.
Doranku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #13933
sick_brah07
National High School Star

Twilight with the gf

Absolute shit won't even rate it cause I hate it
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #13934
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Spiderman 2 - 8/10

Cheesy in some sports but it pulls it off well. Felt like twilight in some spots with the romance... overdid that a bit but yea they have good chemistry (as one would figure). The effects were awesome and I had a good time. I was also drunk but that doesn't skew my opinion... just made it a more enjoyable 8/10.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #13935
SamuraiSWISH
Very good NBA starter

Captain America: Winter Soldier

3.5 / 4

Great political, spy, conspiracy theory stuff going on here ... with a confused Steve Rodgers finding his place in modern America with our ideologies having been dragged through mud. Sam Jackson finally gets to shine as Nick Fury, Black Widow finally makes sense in a Marvel Studio film. I enjoyed quite a bit more than the original, but it's an organic progression. The best Marvel Studio direct sequel to date, and the 2nd best movie in their continuity entirely. Yes, better than the Avengers by far. Sidenote, Poppa Doc who plays the Falcone near steals the entire movie. A lovable, funny, convincing right hand man to Captain America.

Amazing Spider-Man 2:

3 / 4

A mess of a film in terms of tone clashes, narrative structure, and corny villain sub plots. The material feels redundant being the 5th Spider-Man film in just over a decade, covering much of the same ground.

But it had an incredible re-defined score thanks to Hans Zimmer. Andrew Garfield is the best Peter Parker / Spider-Man BY FAR. So entertaining, such a smart ass in the costume. His on screen chemistry with Stone's Gwen Stacy is cute. Sally Fields brings her A game ... the death of Gwen Stacy, and the ending elevate this film's material substantially.

One of the best comic book movie endings right there with: Batman Begins, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Man of Steel. It really gets you pumped up for the next film. And this is essentially a place holder of a sequel until we get the Sinister Six film, where Spidey clashes with ALL of his memorable villains at once.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: