Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 AM   #13936
Chris99
Great young streetballer

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Jackie Brown.

8.5/10
Chris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #13937
Verticality
I give, trade Hib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIntageNOvel
any comedy recommendation?
where do you guys usually watch it? (aside from netflix)

Go for a quircky dark comedy. Might I suggest Being John Malkovich if you have not seen it?
Verticality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #13938
Verticality
I give, trade Hib.

Aliens 5/5
Old 05-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #13939
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

LA Confidential

"Neo-noir" crime/drama/mystery set in the seedier side of glamorous Hollywood in the 50s. Focuses on two cops mainly; one who's a straight-laced, by-the-book kinda guy and another who's on the volatile side of things and is more about the means than the end.

8.5/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #13940
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

Shotgun Stories - 8/10

This is the first film by Jeff Nichols (Take Shelter, Mud) and it's about a blood feud between two sets of step brothers in Arkansas. It was very good and Michael Shannon is just such a good and interesting actor that he elevates the whole thing. Very much looking forward to more things from Jeff Nichols.

Nichols has a mutually fond relationship with Shannon obviously. Take Shelter I didn't see, but was apparently a huge Shannon role. And more of an indicator is when he cast Shannon, and Shannon took the small role, of the older cousin of the second boy in Mudd. He was interesing in the few short scenes he had, as Shannon usually is. But it's not a role you'd expect him to take as his profile has expanded, unless the two have a really good relationship.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #13941
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Nichols has a mutually fond relationship with Shannon obviously. Take Shelter I didn't see, but was apparently a huge Shannon role. And more of an indicator is when he cast Shannon, and Shannon took the small role, of the older cousin of the second boy in Mudd. He was interesing in the few short scenes he had, as Shannon usually is. But it's not a role you'd expect him to take as his profile has expanded, unless the two have a really good relationship.

The scene where he indirectly warns the boy about Mud might have been my favorite scene of the film.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #13942
mr.big35
Banned

who is going to see spiderman 2
mr.big35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #13943
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

I saw Amazing Spider Man 2. Thought it was really good. Perfect balance of fun comic book elements without getting into overly goofy territory like parts of Raimi's.

Garfield and Stone were very good in their roles and better than the first in that regard, i grew to really care bout their relationship which is rare these days considering all the shoe horned love interests om comic movies. Much of the movie is about them but it works very well. My only real complaint is not enough Electro, trailers kinda show all his major parts. Overall though, it is the best Spider-Man movie IMO despite Doc Ock still being the best villain.

The spidey swinging is badass too.

8.3/10

Last edited by ROCSteady : 05-01-2014 at 01:43 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #13944
Verticality
I give, trade Hib.

I have a feeling I won't be a big fan of the new Spiderman. Looks like the most CGI of any comic movie ever. Not even just CGI backgrounds, but entire fights look like cartoons in the commercials.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #13945
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

The Double

Trailer

What a f*cking weird movie.

Anyway, Jessie Eisenberg's character meets a new co-worker, who just so happens to look identical to him. Doppelganger stuff. And unlike him, this guy's outgoing, confident, good with the ladies, everyone likes him, etc. One's an introvert, the other's an extrovert. But they're the only two people who notice. For some reason. You'd think that would be something that might come up in conversation in the breakroom.

"Hey, that new guy looks f*cking exactly like you. Twins, related? Are your d*cks the same size and everything? It's f*cking weird. What's the scoop?" But nope.

The movie seems to take place in an alternate reality or something, with a sort of retro sci-fi thing going on. Feels like a David Lynch movie with all the weird segways and one scene in particular which was just...what? The f*ck? The other doppelganger movie I saw recently(Enemy) makes perfect sense compared to this. It is actually pretty funny at times though.

Shot well(in a jarring sense) with a good soundtrack. Eisenberg's pretty good considering he's playing two different characters.

f*ckingweird/10
Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #13946
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

RoboCop 7/10

Better than expected I must say, turned out to be a legit movie.
Would be better if it was rated R tho...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #13947
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back

What didn't you like about Captain Phillips?

Last 30 minutes seemed unnecessary; I grew tired of waiting for the deed to be done.

It was a good flick. A good one watcher. Don't see much repeat value.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #13948
irondarts

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 9/10

Been meaning to watch this one for a while. I'm so glad I did. It is absolutely delightful, might be my favorite Wes Anderson film.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #13949
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Out of the Furnace

How is this not more popular? What a cast. I'd heard about it a while ago, the underwhelming response/reviews caused me to steer clear of though. But I'm glad I gave it a shot because it's a good movie. Maybe a little slow for some people but it never left me feeling impatient and wishing it would move faster or anything.

Didn't blow me away but I felt pretty satisfied with it afterwards. And of course the acting is great.

8/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 05-03-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #13950
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
The Double

Trailer

What a f*cking weird movie.

Anyway, Jessie Eisenberg's character meets a new co-worker, who just so happens to look identical to him. Doppelganger stuff. And unlike him, this guy's outgoing, confident, good with the ladies, everyone likes him, etc. One's an introvert, the other's an extrovert. But they're the only two people who notice. For some reason. You'd think that would be something that might come up in conversation in the breakroom.

"Hey, that new guy looks f*cking exactly like you. Twins, related? Are your d*cks the same size and everything? It's f*cking weird. What's the scoop?" But nope.

The movie seems to take place in an alternate reality or something, with a sort of retro sci-fi thing going on. Feels like a David Lynch movie with all the weird segways and one scene in particular which was just...what? The f*ck? The other doppelganger movie I saw recently(Enemy) makes perfect sense compared to this. It is actually pretty funny at times though.

Shot well(in a jarring sense) with a good soundtrack. Eisenberg's pretty good considering he's playing two different characters.

f*ckingweird/10

I read about this a few weeks ago and found it fascinating. Thank's for the review. I'd really like to see it. It sounds like a Black Mirror episode.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: