Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #14026
D-Rose
Da Mavs

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrobeShaw
Why even watch it? From pure curiosity or dragged?
Dragged. Family members wanted to see it...I want to see like 4 or so other movies in theaters right now lol
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #14027
Duggrr
2-12-21

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 9/10

With emotional intelligence and impressive cinematography to match, this movie drags you into the story line effectively, learning and interpreting this new world that the film gives you. Caesar was a very impressive, multi layered character who you can easily empathize with during the movie. Other ape characters like Koba and Maurice do their respective parts well too.

I thought the main flaw were the human characters. There was a noticeable lack of depth with almost all of them. But overall, i'd say this was a powerful and very memorable movie.
Duggrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #14028
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

Epic movie - that movie was so bad I can't even rate it. 0 / 10 I guess.

Didin't even watch it till the end, one of the friends recommended this movie and he was the only one laughing the whole time. Then he saw 3 of the friends were sleeping and he said he has to go and he shut down the tv lol.
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #14029
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

9.5/10

Up there with one of the greatest movies i've ever seen

I hated the old old ones...

thought the first one was decent but overhyped....

But this....from the first few minutes it sucked you in. The whole setting IMO is so much better than the first. Its that transitional period of Ape society which to me set it apart from the first on a completely different level...even if there were a sequel i don't know if the setting and plot could be as good as this one since it would probably just be more a straight up war, but not the societal build up...

my only slight complaint is the movie felt long. I respect long but it gets to that point where you're thinking is this going to end?....but in its defense it kept you in it with a climactic ending so it made up for the elongated feeling i felt.

one other slight complaint is some people act dumb, and that annoys me....but really what movie doesn't have some idiots who generally help make some plot go?

I didn't expect it to be this good. I wish i could say more but i'd be spoiling.

MUST SEE MOVIE!!!1
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #14030
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrobeShaw

Just watch this shit. If you didn't care for the first or never saw it, if you have time, watch that shit and get right on this. That's all I can say.

first one is on FX RIGHT NOW...

altho world cup is on too
Old 07-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #14031
Draz
The People's Choice

I figured the new apes movie would be great can't wait
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #14032
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

One part of the new Planet of the Apes that was really stupid (spoiler in white):

When Gary Oldman triggered the C4, that didn't do anything really. They made it seem like it would make the tower collapse and kill them, but most of the apes seemed unfazed with the exception of it simply adding another element to the fight. Essentially, it made the C4 scene completely pointless and stupid.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #14033
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
One part of the new Planet of the Apes that was really stupid (spoiler in white):

gsdsgdshfsh.

that was the 2nd time of people stupidity i mentioned but it is so minor i don't really get why you'd point it out like its some big deal.

it at least affected their fight. i had more a issue with Oldman even pushing that trigger all of a sudden like he was crazy now when he was a voice of reason prior. again so minor it would be ridiculous to pretend that hurts the movie at alll
Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #14034
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I give it a 9 out of 10 Caesar is like the Godfather of apes

Much respect to him and his leadership qualities
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #14035
Myth

^ I liked the movie, I just thought that part was stupid and pointless. (More in white): If a movie is going to act like detonating a bomb is going to do something bad like kill characters, then make it so there are actual consequences when the bomb is triggered.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #14036
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
^ I liked the movie, I just thought that part was stupid and pointless. (More in white):

actually i was surprised too it didn't all fall down, but like i said i was more annoyed he detonated it. to me that seemed out of character.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #14037
irondarts

Nymphomaniac Vol. II - 7/10

Meh. I liked Vol. 1 slightly more. It's typical Von Trier stuff, pretentious and heavy handed. This one was a little over the top and the ending was revolting and I hated it. But it did have some interesting things in it. Overall I just don't care for Von Trier much and this did nothing to change my opinion.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #14038
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki

I felt it was in character. He was ready to go to war earlier in the movie and was talked out of it by the main human character. He also had no connection to any of the apes the way the main human did. All Oldman saw was the apes show up once and threaten the humans, and then show up later and start a war.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #14039
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
swhhdghf

hmmm maybe.....that whole scene was frenetic. I just know he was a voice of reason leader most of the movie along with the main character. they were the 2 most reasonable humans up to that point. I suppose his contempt for them grew after seeing the apes overrun them where he was willing to do something like that. don't forget they also had the military coming....which is going to be the start of the sequel i figure
Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #14040
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I saw Planet of the Apes Saturday night. As is being discussed up here, there are some story flaws. But also as has been discussed, there's some really cool stuff. Visually it's just a really good looking movie. I'm not the world's biggest CG guy, but this is some of the best stuff I can recall. I did see it in 3D, and I really appreciated that the 3D was just a layer on top of the film, and didn't alter the way the movie was presented (That was a problem I had with the last Hobbit movie).

I would rate it a little below where most people seem to have it. Something like a mid 80s. But it's absolutely worth seeing. And definitely a touch better than most stuff of it's ilk.

My issues:

I sort of agree with both Myth and Godzuki up there. I didn't read Gary Oldman as being suicidally unreasonable up to that point. Perhaps combatitively committed to survival, but that survivalist sort of mentallity I agree sort of conflicted with this guy blowing himself up. The whole character actually felt like it was edited down to being sort of weird.

My only other sort of story gripe, which sort of happens all the time, was the incredibly convenient moment when Dan from Zero Dark Thirty is spotted hiding, but it just happens to be Ceasar's son who finds him. But again, that's typical movie trickeration.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: