Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #14071
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Watched 'Precious' today, not really sure if I can grade it. It had a very powerful effect on me, but some Lee Daniels' techniques were really poor, and I think the two lead performances carried the entire film, because he's such an insipid filmmaker.

One thing: Precious' mother sexually abuses her, too, right? It's never actually stated that she does, but the "come take care of mommy, Precious" line when she's *********ing heavily implies it.

Last edited by T_L_P : 11-10-2014 at 12:23 PM.
T_L_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #14072
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Below is my EXTREMELY SPOILER HEAVY REVIEW OF INTERSTELLAR (which I also posted in the Interstellar thread):

To summarize SPOILER FREE, Visually fantistic, incredibly scored, great cast that killed their performances and created some really remarkably emotional moments.

A little ham fisted thematically in the field of things like "Love transcending time and gravity". Some technical jargon that would've been better suited left unsaid as it led to actors with glazed over eyes saying things they didn't understand and frankly didn't always make sense anyway.

Ending a little too cute for it's own good.

I would give it a mid 80s at this point. It really warrants more viewing. I do worry that there are other movies that the whole world fell for that rely a lot on emotional connection, that over time have fallen apart a bit (Forrest Gump comes to mind, as something that yielded this huge connection that allowed the audience to look past some really flawed stuff, but after two decades of rewatching, the emotional impact wears off and you have a mentally challenged guy running a shrimp boat for forty minutes). I really liked this in the moment, but if you told me you hated it I'd be fine with it, and if you told me this was one of your 10 favorite movies ever I'd be okay with that too. It takes that wide a breath in my opinion
SPOILER IN MY RESPONSE TOO
The movie was entirely too gimmicky and at times just cringeworthy. The basic concept has merit and in fact the opening scenes with the actual interviews from dustbowl survivors are quite poignant. But the entire set up with the ghost was so contrived and transparent. I intuitively knew it would be some sort of time paradox where he's communicating from the future. But the predictability alone does not drain the movie of its power. I was excited to see how they would get to the time paradox. and where the movie fails is in fact in that execution.

I mean seriously they couldn't think of a more subtle way for Cooper to communicate other than pushing books off the shelf like he's patrick swayze in Ghost?

and what the hell was the point of Brand's character? the movie lacked an emotional center. For vast majority it was about how cooper loves his daughter, then at the end he spends like 1 min with her then he's off to find brand.

I'm not even gonna get into how contrived the "qunatum data" aspect was. I mean we can suspend our disbelieves for science fiction element but there is no depth in this storyline.

Movie started off strong and very fast paced, ended incredibly clunky and drawn out
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #14073
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
SPOILER IN MY RESPONSE TOO
The movie was entirely too gimmicky and at times just cringeworthy. The basic concept has merit and in fact the opening scenes with the actual interviews from dustbowl survivors are quite poignant. But the entire set up with the ghost was so contrived and transparent. I intuitively knew it would be some sort of time paradox where he's communicating from the future. But the predictability alone does not drain the movie of its power. I was excited to see how they would get to the time paradox. and where the movie fails is in fact in that execution.

I mean seriously they couldn't think of a more subtle way for Cooper to communicate other than pushing books off the shelf like he's patrick swayze in Ghost?

and what the hell was the point of Brand's character? the movie lacked an emotional center. For vast majority it was about how cooper loves his daughter, then at the end he spends like 1 min with her then he's off to find brand.

I'm not even gonna get into how contrived the "qunatum data" aspect was. I mean we can suspend our disbelieves for science fiction element but there is no depth in this storyline.

Movie started off strong and very fast paced, ended incredibly clunky and drawn out

Sounds like we're on pretty much exactly the same page. And I think most people will be in a similar boat. The question really will be weather the clunky stuff ruins some of the really high end emotionally touching performances. And I believe it will be really an individual case for everyone.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #14074
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Sounds like we're on pretty much exactly the same page. And I think most people will be in a similar boat. The question really will be weather the clunky stuff ruins some of the really high end emotionally touching performances. And I believe it will be really an individual case for everyone.

I'm upset cause I think the movie had an excellent premise and great potential but poor directorial control. Nolan could have edited it more

in fact I'm not sure if Nolan is the ideal director for a movie like this. Nolans movies are too rule bound and cookbook like for a movie that tangents on visceral emotions like love and unknown quantities like space.

Dialogue and action in Nolan's movies always have clear intentions, directions, and consequences. You do A so you get to B, the characters even talk about how they have to do A so they get to B

in essence the movie is too sterile for an intuitive topic. A more impressionistic director like Kubrick could have elevated the material, in fact he did in 2001 space odyssey

Casey affleck was excellent as always tho, little screen time but great subdued performance

Last edited by STATUTORY : 11-10-2014 at 12:43 PM.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #14075
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

The Green Mile on FX or one of those channels. The meat of that delacroix exection was stripped down to reaction shots. 4/10 for the tv verison. Not worth the time. i missed what i temeber from the first time i saw this. It worked on my emotions...so what if it was heavy handed with cheesy graphic violence that I'm missing. Tells a better story.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #14076
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
I'm upset cause I think the movie had an excellent premise and great potential but poor directorial control. Nolan could have edited it more

in fact I'm not sure if Nolan is the ideal director for a movie like this. Nolans movies are too rule bound and cookbook like for a movie that tangents on visceral emotions like love and unknown quantities like space.

Dialogue and action in Nolan's movies always have clear intentions, directions, and consequences. You do A so you get to B, the characters even talk about how they have to do A so they get to B

in essence the movie is too sterile for an intuitive topic. A more impressionistic director like Kubrick could have elevated the material, in fact he did in 2001 space odyssey

Casey affleck was excellent as always tho, little screen time but great subdued performance

Totally agree. I think that's why it's going to be so polarizing. Because there is definitely a good movie in there.

And I do agree about Kubrick and 2001. Kubrick sort of hid his larger thematic stuff beneath a much more specific horror genre movie. I think not having that stuff a layer down is what made this feel clunky.

And you're right about Affleck, and I felt that way about most of the other performers. In a lot of ways I felt like those performers saved a lot the really good stuff in here.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #14077
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

I have Memento on blu ray and have never seen it.

I just had a somewhat stressful family situation so I'm gunna smoke a little cheeb and watch a flick.

Is it not worth it to watch this movie if I'm ripped?
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #14078
Smoke117
Calmer Than You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Mean Streets (1973)

By Martin Scorsese

8/10

Bit of a wild ending though.. But damn, Johnnie messed it up himself.

Great movie. A young De Niro just spewing charisma and talent. Stole the show from poor Harvey Keitel...
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #14079
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

Mean Streets is one of my favorite movies ever and this is coming from a guy who usually doesn't watch older films that much.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:14 AM   #14080
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Interstellar 6/10

One scene pretty much ruined the movie for me. Usually that is pretty hard to do, but it is the most vital scene in the movie and resonates throughout the whole thing. I also found the movie extremely predictable. I don't mind predicting parts of movies way in advance at times as long as the reveal is done well, but that was not the case in this film. Sadly, those 10 minutes killed the other 2.5 hours of good film for me. Probably my least favorite Nolan film.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #14081
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Interstellar 6/10

One scene pretty much ruined the movie for me. Usually that is pretty hard to do, but it is the most vital scene in the movie and resonates throughout the whole thing. I also found the movie extremely predictable. I don't mind predicting parts of movies way in advance at times as long as the reveal is done well, but that was not the case in this film. Sadly, those 10 minutes killed the other 2.5 hours of good film for me. Probably my least favorite Nolan film.
I assume you're referring to the (Spoiler) Tesseract/5th dimension (/Spoiler)?
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 AM   #14082
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
I assume you're referring to the (Spoiler).... (/Spoiler)?

Yes.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #14083
jaybee682
I usually hit open layups

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120931

Nightcrawler
Excellent Movie!! 10/10

Last edited by jaybee682 : 11-12-2014 at 05:45 PM.
jaybee682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:56 AM   #14084
Myth

Reviews for Dumb & Dumber To are really bad, which surprises me because I found it hilarious.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:04 AM   #14085
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Source Code 8/10

Entertaining and fun movie. Gyllenhaal is a really underrated actor and I was really digging the chick in this movie
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: