Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #14701
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Raid 2 7.5/10

I kept hearing that it was better than the first one. I disagree. The story in the first just seemed fresher, tighter and the action came at you fast and furious for about an hour and 40 minutes. The second was too long at 2.5 hours. Also the sequel took more breaks in between the action.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #14702
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
The Raid 2 7.5/10

I kept hearing that it was better than the first one. I disagree. The story in the first just seemed fresher, tighter and the action came at you fast and furious for about an hour and 40 minutes. The second was too long at 2.5 hours. Also the sequel took more breaks in between the action.

I just had this conversation with someone Monday night. I agree with you. I like the tighter more limited plot so that the focus on the fight choreography was all that mattered. Simple premise. Fight to the top of the building. Small twist. The end.

I have no qualms with subtitles in general. But loading me up with complex and goofy plot that I have to read frequently takes away from my ability to focus on the action.

I also found it a touch to comic book-y.

Still was awesome. I think overall I rated it higher than you. But I totally agree one was better than two.

My buddy sort of fell into the I Got More of What I Wanted camp. He liked the sort video game boss characters. He also thought it was cool how each was killed with his own weapon, which I frankly didn't even realize.

To each their own.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #14703
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Raid 2 is like The Godfather mixed with the first Raid. As a film, it's better than the first one. If you enjoy the first one more as an action movie, I understand that.

Raid 2 was the movie they intended to make all along. Couldn't get the budget they wanted though, so they made Raid 1 as a sort of demo.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #14704
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
I'm not scared of flying or anything so I enjoy a movie on a flight just the same as I do on my couch.
Well, I'm not scared either, but, it's just that it's not my kind of environment to watch a movie, I guess. Hell, I even feel like I'm in an airplane movie sitting there waiting for something to happen.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 AM   #14705
Patrick Chewing
GO NY GO NY GO!

The Great Gatsby (2013)

1/10

What a shitty story and movie. So in the end, you chase your dreams and you get shot and killed. The ****.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 AM   #14706
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

I mean I think that's the nature of the tragedy of the story. Tragedies are often some of the most poignant and effective stories that can represent the human condition very well.

This particular story just happens to be a staple of American literature that is a timeless classic dissected in mostly all American high schools and colleges.
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 AM   #14707
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

boyhood was not everything i wanted it to be

it was good. even great. but all the same disappointing.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #14708
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
The Great Gatsby (2013)

1/10

What a shitty story and movie. So in the end, you chase your dreams and you get shot and killed. The ****.
Yep what an out of touch story, writer probably didn't know America existed back then.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:28 AM   #14709
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
The Great Gatsby (2013)

1/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlGQfvj5_g
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #14710
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
boyhood was not everything i wanted it to be

it was good. even great. but all the same disappointing.

Did you feel like you would've liked it more had the characters been different? I loved a lot of it, but felt the kid came off a little too douchey, particularly in the obviously scripted sequences that were dialogues that just don't exist in real life. Like the one with his Girlfriend when he's in high school. Or the one with the photography teacher. And normally that unnaturalistic feel of dialogue doesn't bother me much. But in this case because so much of the rest of the film felt so natural it did a bit.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #14711
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Yep what an out of touch story, writer probably didn't know America existed back then.

Is this sarcasm? My sarcasm meter isn't swaying one way or the other. I hope it is sarcasm
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #14712
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Anybody see Sin City 2 yet? I loved the first, was excited for the 2nd, and then my excitement fizzled when it finally came out (lack of word of mouth, subpar reviews). If anybody has seen it, I'm curious on your thoughts of seeing it in theaters vs waiting for DVD.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #14713
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Anybody see Sin City 2 yet? I loved the first, was excited for the 2nd, and then my excitement fizzled when it finally came out (lack of word of mouth, subpar reviews). If anybody has seen it, I'm curious on your thoughts of seeing it in theaters vs waiting for DVD.

I didn't see it, but don't go. Looks like ass. People say it sucks.

Alba can't act and she's in a lot of it. Looks like he made it with a generic Sin City filter on Final Cut instead of making something like last time.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #14714
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth

I reviewed it a couple pages back. I saw like a noon showing on the big BTX super screen in 3D last Saturday.

I think I gave it like a low 70s. I was a big fan of the first one too, and had the same sense you did. I wasn't sure, but I had just left work and had nothing going on.

It wasn't particularly good. Everything felt more piecemealed than the first one. The story arcs were smaller and less dramatic. But the stylized stuff was what it was.

I also remember being surprised the 3D wasn't more featured. There were some cool 3D moments, but since that's so identified by it's art style, I thought for sure it would really blow out the 3D.

Overall I'd say you're fine waiting for the DVD. But if you did like the first one then it's not like you'll hate this.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #14715
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

The pursuit of Happiness, liked it alot.

8.5/10
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: