Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #14701
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
It's the same case of taking a great source material and making a totally different movie but keeping the name. Should have been Generic Zombie Movie Number 24542 instead of World War Z, I am Legend should have been Generic Zombie Movie Number 24541

You must not have seen alot of zombie movies World War Z had a 200m budget or something like that. It's just an epic zombie flick. I Am Legend wasn't even a zombie movie. Not a generic zombie movie at all.

Survival/Zombie/Apocalypse movies are my favorite but there one downfall is obviously how similar they can be.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #14702
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Watched Zombieland/Super Troopers the past 2 days. Both 8/10's for me and some of my favorite movies. Good to rewatch, funny, entertaining.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #14703
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Das Boot

Had been meaning to watch this for ages, but was always dissuaded anytime I was in the mood by not knowing which of the various versions I should watch. The theatrical version by itself is pretty long, and there's one version over five hours long. Finally settled on the director's cut.

"The claustrophobic world of a WWII German U-boat; boredom, filth, and sheer terror."

Sums it up pretty well. Set design is excellent; may as well have been filmed on an actual u-boat. From the subtle undulations of things hanging from the walls(bulkheads for you landlubbers), to the creaks and moans of the ship as the ocean presses against it, it all feels very authentic.

It's always interesting watching WW2 stuff from the perspective of the Germans, and in the same vein as others this doesn't depict them all as the villains they're typically portrayed as, or as we collectively think of them as. Just regular dudes on a mission. And I found myself really rooting for them, since it's hard not to relate to their myriad of predicaments. In that regard it's actually subtle compared to something like Crimson Tide; no need for any additional theatrics considering the stakes.

I feel like some things could have been cut, but I'm the one who choose the director's cut and their intent was to show some of the things that go on during "downtime" aboard these vessels so it's a minor complaint.

Loved the ending too.

9.9/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-03-2014 at 02:13 PM.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #14704
outbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
You must not have seen alot of zombie movies World War Z had a 200m budget or something like that. It's just an epic zombie flick. I Am Legend wasn't even a zombie movie. Not a generic zombie movie at all.

Survival/Zombie/Apocalypse movies are my favorite but there one downfall is obviously how similar they can be.
I've seen most that come out, your missing the point though. Why bother calling it world war z when it isn't based on the source material. I disagree that they couldn't adapt it well, it could have made for a unique take on the genre and shown that a block buster can be more than just action sequences. The UN going around collecting stories about the zombies would have made for a good movie full of flashbacks and a different kind of horror. Could have gone into the psychological effects and the after of everything.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #14705
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Watched Winter Soldier Blu Ray last night and thought it was a solid 8. My lady is into SHIELD on ABC so she liked it even more.

We finish shooting episode 1 of season 2 tomorrow, definitely stepped it up a bit. Your lady will dig it.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #14706
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Around the World in 80 Days

Watched this last night on TMC and it was a ton of fun. It was shot with a ton of vibrant colors and the physical comedy by the actor who played Passepartout was really well done. Overall, it was pretty lighthearted and silly which made for a very entertaining film. I'd probably give it a 7.5 out of 10.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #14707
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I watched about half of it and it seemed fun, but I had seen too much Niven all day by the time that came on.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #14708
D-Rose
Da Mavs

Grand Budapest Hotel - 7.5/10

I found it really quirky and fun, but it didn't blow me away or anything. I like Moonrise Kingdom way better. I don't know how I feel about directors like the Coens and Wes Anderson using a lot of the same actors in their movies...it's neat but for some reason it kind of bothers me.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #14709
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Super 8/10

This movie was really mis-advertised. I finally watched it since it was directed by the same guy who did GotG and Slither, both of which I liked. It was way more violent than I expected. The movie was a cross between Kickass and Defendor.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #14710
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
people here are extremely bias towards super hero movies here from what i noticed.

i've seen just about all of them and even Winter Soldier in 3D, and the scores they get are extremely high imo, consistently so, even when they don't really deserve it. i'd say at least 1-2~ points higher consistently than they should be.

Makes sense, the vast majority of the people who post here are the target audience for superhero movies. If this was a board made up mostly of females 18-35, then you'd probably see the same phenomena with movies like Twilight.

On that note, saw Guardians earlier today. Solid 7.5/10. Entertaining with some nice comedy elements but I hadn't read any of the comics before and it felt almost like it was catering to fans of the comic. Lots of seemingly esoteric, inside stuff.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #14711
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

8.5/10
Beatlezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #14712
DaSeba5
Heat|Dolphins|Marlins

Men In Black

9/10

Still holds up as a fun entertaining movie.
DaSeba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #14713
Angel Face
Caped Baldy

9/10

6/10
Angel Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #14714
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Headhunters 8.5/10

Pretty cool Norwegian movie about an art thief who screws over the wrong guy. The bad guy is played by the actor who plays Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #14715
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Godzilla - 6.5/10
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: