Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #14956
ArbitraryWater
****** of Men

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1991
Apocalypse Now Redux 10/10 Still holds up to modern movies. A flawless classic.

Redux just a waste of a good 30+ minutes though.
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #14957
MrC1991
Bulls Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Redux just a waste of a good 30+ minutes though.

*sigh* Honestly I meant to put the original movie. I have no idea why i put Redux.
MrC1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #14958
ArbitraryWater
****** of Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1991
*sigh* Honestly I meant to put the original movie. I have no idea why i put Redux.

ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #14959
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I went to see John Wick late last night. There were actually still a half dozen people there for a midnight showing on Holloween, which surprised me.

It is nearly impossible to have seen both this, and The Equalizer, without comparing the two. They are the Deep Impact / Armageddon of Russian Mob Vengence films.

It would probably be fair to describe my taste in flicks to run toward the arthouse, or to fall somewhere between high brow and pretentious. I haven't really liked much in the way of the summer blockbuster over the past 7 or 8 years, save for the Batman series, and that's even knowing many of them have been pretty solid.

But I do have a fondness for the absurd. Especially when the thing is self aware. I loved the first Raid for example, which has almost no backstory at all. I also enjoyed the second Raid a great deal, but felt it fattened it's plot up a bit too much. But I was still ok with it because it seemed to being winking at the audience while it was doing it. I've never liked any of the Faster movies, because I've never felt that they do give that wink, or maybe I just don't see it.

There's also been something of a renessaince among these types of fighting shootout action movies of late. I believe it really kicked off with Taken. A movie that I feel is overrated because a lot of it's patently rediculous moments are just completely ignored. But still an excellent version of what it does. I think part of this re-popularization stems from guys my age, mid thirties, who grew up with Rambo begetting Cobra, then a barage of Steven Segal and Van Damme movies that were all events for us as kids (Hell I saw Jeff Speakman as the The Perfect Weapon on the big screen like three times). They were our Marvel movies, and even though they were terrible, they were ours. Now we have kids, and we watch those rediculous movies with them on basic cable, just like we watched Deathwish on cable, and now Taken and it's offshoots are those kid's versions of our Hard To Kill.

So, I like when these movies get right to it. I'm not looking for too elaborate or heartwarming a backstory. I liked The Equalizer, but it was a little over the top schmaltzy with what they did to Denzel. He's the nices guy at work. He's the best player on the softball team. He drinks tea and reads hardcovers of the great american novels at the corner diner. All this between working out with the fat guy at work so he can get that big promotion.

John Wick takes The Raid approach, with almost no backstory. The violence is hyper stylized. The visuals in general superbly done. There's even a brief scene where a cop (stupid Don from The Newsroom) shows up about the noise from Wick's place and asks if he's "working" again, sort of giving this quick implication to the audience not to think too much about what's going on and just sort of exist in this world, which I thought was a nice touch.

But something left me liking the schmalty Equalizer better. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I think it was the performance of the villain. The main villain in The Equalizer was just a better characterization. And I don't think it was the writing or plot, I just think he was better played. The mob boss in this was nothing but a mumbling target.

I also liked The Equalizer's gimmicky POV attack plan scenes. Although Wick may have had a few better set pieces. It's a close call though. The closing sequence in The Equalizer was awesome. But John Wick's Circle Club sequence was also great (coincidentally, both feature the same Russian thug. Big Bald guy with long black beard topped with comically twisty mustache. That guy may be getting his big break as someone you can kill action movies).

I didn't like the Adrienne Palicki character in Wick. And I love her. I just thought more could've been done with that whole world they'd created within that hotel. There were a few better actors in Wick that hinted at a better movie hiding in here somewhere. Richard Roundtree as an aged assassin. Palicki's seductress assassin. The guy from The Wire as the hotel lobbyman. Deadwood's Ian McShane as the propriator of the hotel. And Willem Defoe and freindly co-worker of Wick's who specializes in rooftop assassinations. I guess part of why I liked it less in spite of it fitting the bill of a simpler story for me, is because it felt like there was more that could've been done. It's like I'm penalizing it for feeling disappointed in it a bit, whereas The Equalizer didn't have as much of that world building content, but I'm not dinging it for not giving me more of what wasn't there.

The Equalizer is scoring in the mid 60s on the Tomatometer, I think I gave it a high 70s. And Wick is scoring in the mid 80s, and I'd probably give it a mid 70s. Both worth seeing if you're into the action genre for sure.

I'm gonna checkout Nightcrawler when I leave work.

You should have a movie review blog.

Good shit.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #14960
ZeN
Stormblessed

The Fault In Our Stars - 5/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #14961
BRabbiT

Quote:

8/10

RIP
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #14962
Graviton
◕‿◕

Nightcrawler - 9/10

Jake Gyllenhaal is such a great actor, you don't hear much about him but he is really damn talented. In this movie he plays the most emotionless and low key crazy character I have seen in a while, over the course of the film you slowly realize just how truly insane he is. Though it's all masked in politeness, with the character talking like he is in a damn commercial all the time. Highly recommend this movie, you will want to choke him out at the end of it.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #14963
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Drive - 9/10
Descent - 6/10 (best horror I've ever seen)
T_L_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #14964
Joyner82reload
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Nightcrawler - 9/10

Jake Gyllenhaal is such a great actor, you don't hear much about him but he is really damn talented. In this movie he plays the most emotionless and low key crazy character I have seen in a while, over the course of the film you slowly realize just how truly insane he is. Though it's all masked in politeness, with the character talking like he is in a damn commercial all the time. Highly recommend this movie, you will want to choke him out at the end of it.

Must have missed Gone Girl
Joyner82reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #14965
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Nightcrawler 8/10

I love movies about sociopaths.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #14966
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Nightcrawler 8/10

I love movies about sociopaths.

I enjoyed Nightcrawler. Nice to see Renee Russo getting a good part.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #14967
SugarHill
infamous souvlaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_L_P
Drive - 9/10

I'm shocked at your score
SugarHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #14968
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I enjoyed Nightcrawler. Nice to see Renee Russo getting a good part.
disappointed by the lack of explicit sex scenes. Louis Bloom must be fascinating in the privacy of his own bedroom as well, would be interested to see what he demanded of Russo's character in there.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #14969
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
disappointed by the lack of explicit sex scenes. Louis Bloom must be fascinating in the privacy of his own bedroom as well, would be interested to see what he demanded of Russo's character in there.

| |
| |
Spoiler Alert!

I liked how they didn't show it.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #14970
fsvr54
Bitch Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_L_P
Drive - 9/10

And it's only a 6/10?

Watch The Thing (1982) or Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), two absolute bonafide masterpieces.
fsvr54 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: