Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #14956
livinglegend
Kyrie/Lebron

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The fight scenes were good, but what really made the movie great was the family storyline.
It had a great story. It's much more than just a sports movie. The most important element of the movie is the family drama.
The end was perfect.
One of my favorite movies.

10/10

and

Mad Max 8/10. Posted a longer review in the mad max thread.
livinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #14957
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Kingsman 8/10
American Sniper 7/10
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #14958
ArbitraryWater
****** of Men

So the latest movies Ex Machina and Mad Max been getting such great reviews, need to check em out
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #14959
ApexPredator
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexSymbol
Collateral - 10/10
What an amazing thriller drama action movie. Fleshed out characters, plotholeless story and one of the best directing works I've ever seen.
This is a masterpiece of a movie

At first I was thinking Collateral Damage with Arnold Schwarzenegger and was like

But then I realized you were talking about the Jamie Foxx/Tom Cruise movie. It was ok at best IMO. 3/5
ApexPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #14960
ArbitraryWater
****** of Men

Quote:
Being John Malkovich - 10/10. What a cluster**** of a story, that was so great in a sense. Great acting, especially by Malkovich himself. I really like the idea of the movie, dialogue, humour, everything. Masterpiece of a movie.
21/22 Jump Street- 10/10, as far as comedies go, there haven't been many funnier ones than these.

Quote:
Collateral - 10/10
What an amazing thriller drama action movie. Fleshed out characters, plotholeless story and one of the best directing works I've ever seen.

bro chill

everything a masterpiece here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Just finished the Before Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight trilogy and I think it's probably my favorite trilogy ever. I think every thought I've ever had is contained within Before Sunrise. How we get sick of our own stories and how we might all be a fraction of a soul. I've written whole stories about those thoughts but the essence is right there.

wow.......... 1995, 2004, 2013.. triology, 9 years after each movie, same main actors each time... perfectly planned, now that looks like a damn masterpiece

Anyway, didnt post here for a long time..

watched some stuff..

American History X (Tony Kaye 1998) 8.8/10
Training Day 7.8/10
Fargo
No Country For Old Men (8.4/10)
.. I dont have the notes on these with me atm, perhaps lost them, but I prefered NOCFOM a bit.
The Majestic (6.2/10, probably lower now since I been stricter)
Starsky & Hutch (6.7/10)
What We Do In The Shadows (4/10) pretty funny, just got weirded out by it..
Ferris Bueller's Day Off 7.8/10
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 7/10
Burn After Reading 8/10 (lmao)
Old 05-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #14961
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year

The Pursuit of Happyness - 6/10. Will Smith must have a helluva marketing team at his motion picture company. His movies are so overhyped.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #14962
SexSymbol
You are amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
bro chill

everything a masterpiece here

wow.......... 1995, 2004, 2013.. triology, 9 years after each movie, same main actors each time... perfectly planned, now that looks like a damn masterpiece

Anyway, didnt post here for a long time..

watched some stuff..

American History X (Tony Kaye 1998) 8.8/10
Training Day 7.8/10
Fargo
No Country For Old Men (8.4/10)
.. I dont have the notes on these with me atm, perhaps lost them, but I prefered NOCFOM a bit.
The Majestic (6.2/10, probably lower now since I been stricter)
Starsky & Hutch (6.7/10)
What We Do In The Shadows (4/10) pretty funny, just got weirded out by it..
Ferris Bueller's Day Off 7.8/10
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 7/10
Burn After Reading 8/10 (lmao)
I'm just investing a lot of time in preparing to watch a movie, I choose carefully, so naturally most of what I watch are great movies.
Your ratings are weird, why 6,2 but not 6,5? and so on.
And why didn't you like what we do in the shadow, it's a great comedy.
SexSymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #14963
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Collateral - 10/10

That movie always bothered me, and plot holes and character decisions were a bit reason why. Here is a review I wrote of it in 2004 when I saw it in theaters:

I don't know why this movie got such good reviews. To me, all I saw was crap from beginning to end. Its been a while since watching it but lets see if I can recall several of the negatives. First of all, the camera. This, I admit, is just a preference. I felt like I was getting sick with all of the shaking around. People see it as unique, I see it as cheap. I felt like I could have filmed the movie with my parents cam-corder that they bought in 1992. Its one thing to use a camera that is not mounted still, but I got the impression that they just shook the camera. In the cab, the camera bounced around so much, and Jamie Foxx/Tom Cruise didn't bounce even the slightest. Before I forget, I also want to point out that the whole movie had no traffic on their side of the road but tons of cars on the other side. Anyway, Collateral seems to have one of the biggest plot holes I've ever seen in a movie. The cops are outside the nightclub and zoom in and listen to Jamie Foxx say that his name is "Vincent" to the security guards. The cops immediately jump to the conclusion that he must be the killer because his name is Vincent. They said, "It must be him, he even admitted that his name is Vincent." OH MY GOD! VINCENT!?! That must mean he is the killer even though the cops never once prior to that scene even hinted that they were after a man named Vincent. Apparently, if you are investigating a murder, and a man named Vincent shows up, he must be a killer because he "even admitted his name was Vincent." A friend of mine protested this and said, "Well, Vincent is a pretty good assassin so once they heard the name, it must have clicked and they linked the assissin to the murders." Even if that is the case, it was never even implied that they knew of a man named Vincent who was a killer (which is just bad film making). It was simply, 'his name is Vincent, he must be the killer.' Moving on from that... A couple of scenes show a lack of logic within the characters themselves. 3 Examples: 1- Jamie Foxx: He takes off with Vincent's suit case while Vincent is with his mother. If Jamie were to completely get away, screwing Vincent over, all Vincent would have to do is go back to his mother and kill her, or at the very least, wait for Jamie to visit her again. Jamie Foxx assumes that Vincent is not going to harm his mother, but only an idiot would risk something like that. 2- Cop who comes across Jamie and flipped car: This one was more funny than bad. Jamie flips the cop over and holds the cops gun to him. The cop, rather than a normal human saying, "Please, don't shoot me," barks an order at Jamie as if he is still in control, "SIR! PUT DOWN THE GUN!" I just laughed. 3-Vincent: At the end he knocks out the electricity because the girl is on the phone. There is no reason for him to do this. He cuts out the phone because she is using it to talk to Jamie Foxx. However, Vince has no reason to believe that Jamie Foxx knows the girl, or even a reason to believe that it is Jamie on the other end of the line. If anything, cutting the power to that floor, would draw attention to himself. Maintance would see that there is a problem on that floor and would send somebody up. Another problem with the movie is how predictable it was. Any idiot could have seen from the beginning that Vincent was going to go after the girl that Jamie gets sweet on (hell, I saw since the commercials). If you didn't realize that she was going to be the last target in the beginning, it spells it out for you in the middle. Vince talks about how he goes after anyone from witnesses to "prosecuters" at times (if that wasn't the biggest hint in the world). The coincidences were way to big as well. One big thing happening by chance is kind of neat, but when everything is coincidental, its just ridiculouse. First, he meets the girl that Vincent is going to go after right before meeting Vincent. Then Vincent tells a story about a dead man on a train which is how he dies. Then there is more subtle coincidences such as the cops arriving to the night club at the same time as Jamie and Vincent. The action scenes were not as good as people make them out to be as well. I'll admit that the kick that breaks the guys knee was cool but for most of the fighting, the camera was everywhere and it was filmed with too many bodies around the camera, so that you couldn't actually see what was being done. At one time, Vincent jumps on one man and dives out of the way of machine gun fire (which killed the man that he rolled away from). The man with the machine gun apparently decides that he isn't going to change his aim and waits approximately 3 seconds for Vincent to grab a gun of his own and shoot back. Vincent dives out of the way, and in about 4 motions (which is not fast), grabs a guns turns and fires while the machine gunner stands dumbfounded waiting to be shot. There was many many more flaws and annoyances in this movie as well, but I just can't seem to recall them all because there was simply just way too many. The drama genre is the hardest to **** up generally other than simply being to slow (example: Serpico), but Collateral finds a way to do it in its own ridiculous way. By the way, the storyline of "Drive me around as a kill people" is pretty weak as well.

Last edited by Myth : 05-20-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #14964
ArbitraryWater
****** of Men

Quote:
I'm just investing a lot of time in preparing to watch a movie, I choose carefully, so naturally most of what I watch are great movies.
Your ratings are weird, why 6,2 but not 6,5? and so on.
And why didn't you like what we do in the shadow, it's a great comedy.

Yea, I also do that.. gotta feel prepared for the movie, not just randomly this than that...

I think I started the .6, .3, etc. ratings a month ago... before that it was all just 8/10, 8.5/10, 6/10.. but as I gave more throught to it and COMPARED movies, that perhaps were both 8/10, I realized the small differences of enjoyment, its just more accurate that way.. hell, recently I thought about some movie where I wanted to added 2 numbers after the dot

Yea, In The Shadows is pretty damn good.. Im just weird with that kind of stuff, bothered me.. probably an unfair rating, good project, not my taste though.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #14965
Shade8780
Banned

Ex Machina

9/10

Wow.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #14966
24-Inch_Chrome
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Ex Machina

9/10

Wow.

24-Inch_Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #14967
SexSymbol
You are amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
That movie always bothered me, and plot holes and character decisions were a bit reason why. Here is a review I wrote of it in 2004 when I saw it in theaters:

I don't know why this movie got such good reviews. To me, all I saw was crap from beginning to end. Its been a while since watching it but lets see if I can recall several of the negatives. First of all, the camera. This, I admit, is just a preference. I felt like I was getting sick with all of the shaking around. People see it as unique, I see it as cheap. I felt like I could have filmed the movie with my parents cam-corder that they bought in 1992. Its one thing to use a camera that is not mounted still, but I got the impression that they just shook the camera. In the cab, the camera bounced around so much, and Jamie Foxx/Tom Cruise didn't bounce even the slightest. Before I forget, I also want to point out that the whole movie had no traffic on their side of the road but tons of cars on the other side. Anyway, Collateral seems to have one of the biggest plot holes I've ever seen in a movie. The cops are outside the nightclub and zoom in and listen to Jamie Foxx say that his name is "Vincent" to the security guards. The cops immediately jump to the conclusion that he must be the killer because his name is Vincent. They said, "It must be him, he even admitted that his name is Vincent." OH MY GOD! VINCENT!?! That must mean he is the killer even though the cops never once prior to that scene even hinted that they were after a man named Vincent. Apparently, if you are investigating a murder, and a man named Vincent shows up, he must be a killer because he "even admitted his name was Vincent." A friend of mine protested this and said, "Well, Vincent is a pretty good assassin so once they heard the name, it must have clicked and they linked the assissin to the murders." Even if that is the case, it was never even implied that they knew of a man named Vincent who was a killer (which is just bad film making). It was simply, 'his name is Vincent, he must be the killer.' Moving on from that... A couple of scenes show a lack of logic within the characters themselves. 3 Examples: 1- Jamie Foxx: He takes off with Vincent's suit case while Vincent is with his mother. If Jamie were to completely get away, screwing Vincent over, all Vincent would have to do is go back to his mother and kill her, or at the very least, wait for Jamie to visit her again. Jamie Foxx assumes that Vincent is not going to harm his mother, but only an idiot would risk something like that. 2- Cop who comes across Jamie and flipped car: This one was more funny than bad. Jamie flips the cop over and holds the cops gun to him. The cop, rather than a normal human saying, "Please, don't shoot me," barks an order at Jamie as if he is still in control, "SIR! PUT DOWN THE GUN!" I just laughed. 3-Vincent: At the end he knocks out the electricity because the girl is on the phone. There is no reason for him to do this. He cuts out the phone because she is using it to talk to Jamie Foxx. However, Vince has no reason to believe that Jamie Foxx knows the girl, or even a reason to believe that it is Jamie on the other end of the line. If anything, cutting the power to that floor, would draw attention to himself. Maintance would see that there is a problem on that floor and would send somebody up. Another problem with the movie is how predictable it was. Any idiot could have seen from the beginning that Vincent was going to go after the girl that Jamie gets sweet on (hell, I saw since the commercials). If you didn't realize that she was going to be the last target in the beginning, it spells it out for you in the middle. Vince talks about how he goes after anyone from witnesses to "prosecuters" at times (if that wasn't the biggest hint in the world). The coincidences were way to big as well. One big thing happening by chance is kind of neat, but when everything is coincidental, its just ridiculouse. First, he meets the girl that Vincent is going to go after right before meeting Vincent. Then Vincent tells a story about a dead man on a train which is how he dies. Then there is more subtle coincidences such as the cops arriving to the night club at the same time as Jamie and Vincent. The action scenes were not as good as people make them out to be as well. I'll admit that the kick that breaks the guys knee was cool but for most of the fighting, the camera was everywhere and it was filmed with too many bodies around the camera, so that you couldn't actually see what was being done. At one time, Vincent jumps on one man and dives out of the way of machine gun fire (which killed the man that he rolled away from). The man with the machine gun apparently decides that he isn't going to change his aim and waits approximately 3 seconds for Vincent to grab a gun of his own and shoot back. Vincent dives out of the way, and in about 4 motions (which is not fast), grabs a guns turns and fires while the machine gunner stands dumbfounded waiting to be shot. There was many many more flaws and annoyances in this movie as well, but I just can't seem to recall them all because there was simply just way too many. The drama genre is the hardest to **** up generally other than simply being to slow (example: Serpico), but Collateral finds a way to do it in its own ridiculous way. By the way, the storyline of "Drive me around as a kill people" is pretty weak as well.
Well that's just filled with hatred, c'mon now. Camera angles aren't great? They were unique and still showed everything you needed to see. Soundtrack was amazing and with good timing at that.
That's not a plothole. What if they were waiting for an assassin because they've been tracking this mafia boss of sorts who orders these killings. It's good that there's no dumb exposition, this movie doesn't think that the audience is dumb.
I haven't seen the trailer, I try to avoid them, so I didn't even think that the girl would be the last target or a target at all.

He knocks the electricity out, because she's calling the cops, not because she's talking with foxx.
SexSymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #14968
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well that's just filled with hatred, c'mon now. Camera angles aren't great? They were unique and still showed everything you needed to see. Soundtrack was amazing and with good timing at that.
That's not a plothole. What if they were waiting for an assassin because they've been tracking this mafia boss of sorts who orders these killings. It's good that there's no dumb exposition, this movie doesn't think that the audience is dumb.
I haven't seen the trailer, I try to avoid them, so I didn't even think that the girl would be the last target or a target at all.

He knocks the electricity out, because she's calling the cops, not because she's talking with foxx.

That is absolutely a plot hole. If you have to fill in part of the plot with a "what if" situation, then that means there is a hole you had to fill. Just to be clear, I have no issue with you liking the movie. You are allowed to like what you like, and I can dislike what I dislike.

As to the electricity part, I honestly can't remember very clearly since the last time I watched the movie was 2004. Still, knocking out the power would draw attention.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #14969
knickballer
NBA All-star

Just want to say you guys da real mvp in this thread. I check this thread weekly for movie suggestions based on you're reviews.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #14970
Suguru101
Annabele Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth

I don't know why this movie got such good reviews. To me, all I saw was crap from beginning to end. Its been a while since watching it but lets see if I can recall several of the negatives. First of all, the camera. This, I admit, is just a preference. I felt like I was getting sick with all of the shaking around. People see it as unique, I see it as cheap.

I felt like I could have filmed the movie with my parents cam-corder that they bought in 1992. Its one thing to use a camera that is not mounted still, but I got the impression that they just shook the camera. In the cab, the camera bounced around so much, and Jamie Foxx/Tom Cruise didn't bounce even the slightest.

Before I forget, I also want to point out that the whole movie had no traffic on their side of the road but tons of cars on the other side. Anyway, Collateral seems to have one of the biggest plot holes I've ever seen in a movie. The cops are outside the nightclub and zoom in and listen to Jamie Foxx say that his name is "Vincent" to the security guards.

The cops immediately jump to the conclusion that he must be the killer because his name is Vincent. They said, "It must be him, he even admitted that his name is Vincent." OH MY GOD! VINCENT!?! That must mean he is the killer even though the cops never once prior to that scene even hinted that they were after a man named Vincent.

Apparently, if you are investigating a murder, and a man named Vincent shows up, he must be a killer because he "even admitted his name was Vincent." A friend of mine protested this and said, "Well, Vincent is a pretty good assassin so once they heard the name, it must have clicked and they linked the assissin to the murders." Even if that is the case, it was never even implied that they knew of a man named Vincent who was a killer (which is just bad film making).

It was simply, 'his name is Vincent, he must be the killer.' Moving on from that... A couple of scenes show a lack of logic within the characters themselves. 3 Examples: 1- Jamie Foxx: He takes off with Vincent's suit case while Vincent is with his mother. If Jamie were to completely get away, screwing Vincent over, all Vincent would have to do is go back to his mother and kill her, or at the very least, wait for Jamie to visit her again.

Jamie Foxx assumes that Vincent is not going to harm his mother, but only an idiot would risk something like that. 2- Cop who comes across Jamie and flipped car: This one was more funny than bad. Jamie flips the cop over and holds the cops gun to him. The cop, rather than a normal human saying, "Please, don't shoot me," barks an order at Jamie as if he is still in control, "SIR! PUT DOWN THE GUN!" I just laughed. 3-Vincent: At the end he knocks out the electricity because the girl is on the phone.

There is no reason for him to do this. He cuts out the phone because she is using it to talk to Jamie Foxx. However, Vince has no reason to believe that Jamie Foxx knows the girl, or even a reason to believe that it is Jamie on the other end of the line. If anything, cutting the power to that floor, would draw attention to himself. Maintance would see that there is a problem on that floor and would send somebody up.

Another problem with the movie is how predictable it was. Any idiot could have seen from the beginning that Vincent was going to go after the girl that Jamie gets sweet on (hell, I saw since the commercials). If you didn't realize that she was going to be the last target in the beginning, it spells it out for you in the middle. Vince talks about how he goes after anyone from witnesses to "prosecuters" at times (if that wasn't the biggest hint in the world). The coincidences were way to big as well.

One big thing happening by chance is kind of neat, but when everything is coincidental, its just ridiculouse. First, he meets the girl that Vincent is going to go after right before meeting Vincent. Then Vincent tells a story about a dead man on a train which is how he dies.

Then there is more subtle coincidences such as the cops arriving to the night club at the same time as Jamie and Vincent. The action scenes were not as good as people make them out to be as well. I'll admit that the kick that breaks the guys knee was cool but for most of the fighting, the camera was everywhere and it was filmed with too many bodies around the camera, so that you couldn't actually see what was being done.

At one time, Vincent jumps on one man and dives out of the way of machine gun fire (which killed the man that he rolled away from). The man with the machine gun apparently decides that he isn't going to change his aim and waits approximately 3 seconds for Vincent to grab a gun of his own and shoot back.

Vincent dives out of the way, and in about 4 motions (which is not fast), grabs a guns turns and fires while the machine gunner stands dumbfounded waiting to be shot. There was many many more flaws and annoyances in this movie as well, but I just can't seem to recall them all because there was simply just way too many.

The drama genre is the hardest to **** up generally other than simply being to slow (example: Serpico), but Collateral finds a way to do it in its own ridiculous way. By the way, the storyline of "Drive me around as a kill people" is pretty weak as well.

Do this next time. Don't just post one straight wall of text.
Suguru101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: