Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

Default Why are there so many European Teams???

There are 52 teams in the top tier league's of Spain, Greece, Italy and Russia. Those are probably the 4 best league's outside of the NBA. But besides those league's you also have France, Israel, and Turkey which also have good leagues. All together there are probably over 200+ "top division" teams. Now granted 95% of those teams are terrible relative to the top competition. But that is a huge watering down of talent.

It reminds me of the NCAA where you have a few power confrences, some mid majors, great teams in crap confrences (Gonzaga, arguably Memphis, etc.) and then the rest is relatively speaking terrible. I realize it works for the NCAA. It just seems goofy to run a professional league that way, (with such a huge drop in talent from top to bottom).

This is why I doubt Europe will ever be a serious competitor to the NBA, the talent level in the NBA is just so much higher. Guys like Trajan Langdon are superstars in Europe, because the talent is so watered down that they only have to play a few games against really tough competition.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Why are there so many European Teams???

I don't know if you're European and follow European championships. If you don't, don't mix Europe with Euroleague. The Euroleague is intercontinental, the rest of the championships are domestic and obviously less competitive. In N.America there's no such problem, since it only has 2 countries and has a well-structured basketball, but in Europe, where there are both domestic and intercontinental championships, you can't just disband hundreds of smaller teams (and send thousands of players to retirement) or create weaker leagues for them. Historically, even some of today's weak teams have been competing against the big guys and winning championships. There are a lot of legendary squads like these. Best example, IMO, is Varese, the only team to appear in 10 consecutive European Championship finals, won 5 of them and has a lot of domestic titles. Nowadays, Varese is just an ordinary Italian Serie A team. If they had leagues like in the USA, Varese would be no "Euro-NBA" material. Yet, we're talking about a legendary team which still exists.

BTW, there's no real danger of watering down the league, because the best teams in Europe are usually considerably richer than the rest. Some teams may break the mold (like Kimki), but they manage to increase competition if they bring good money to the table. Kimki, for example, acquired Delfino and Nachbar (?) from the NBA.

Even the USA have minor championships, like the CBA, NBDL, ABA, etc. It doesn't take anything away from the NBA nor do these leagues water down talent.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
There are 52 teams in the top tier league's of Spain, Greece, Italy and Russia. Those are probably the 4 best league's outside of the NBA. But besides those league's you also have France, Israel, and Turkey which also have good leagues. All together there are probably over 200+ "top division" teams. Now granted 95% of those teams are terrible relative to the top competition. But that is a huge watering down of talent.

It reminds me of the NCAA where you have a few power confrences, some mid majors, great teams in crap confrences (Gonzaga, arguably Memphis, etc.) and then the rest is relatively speaking terrible. I realize it works for the NCAA. It just seems goofy to run a professional league that way, (with such a huge drop in talent from top to bottom).

This is why I doubt Europe will ever be a serious competitor to the NBA, the talent level in the NBA is just so much higher. Guys like Trajan Langdon are superstars in Europe, because the talent is so watered down that they only have to play a few games against really tough competition.
Are you being serious?? Usa is one country,add Canada to it(toronto) you have 2!Europe I must tell you is not a country it's a continent and has over 30 countries!!Each country has every right to have their national league.You are getting confused,the euroleague is not like the NBA(although unfortunately it is looking more like it) it is an intercontinental competition were top teams of all the national leagues can take part.Here the teams are proper teams that represent their cities and not some multi-million franchise that can decide to move the team and therefore break all the supporters' hearts from seattle to oklahoma,or new orleans to utah etc etc .
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
indoroids
Can barely lace up my sneakers

easy
it's because europe is one big continent with many contries inside
while NBA is represent only one country, USA
indoroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
Guys like Trajan Langdon are superstars in Europe, because the talent is so watered down that they only have to play a few games against really tough competition.

Trajan Langdon is not a superstar in Europe. Star player? Yes. Superstar? Not even close.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
Trajan Langdon is not a superstar in Europe. Star player? Yes. Superstar? Not even close.

Trajan Langdon is more of a good player than a star in europe. The same would be true if Langdon played in the nba.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

USA= 1 country
Europe= 49 countries

Go figure.
Taras Bulba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
newnew816
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Brass air fittings

Brass air fittings

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo burner.
newnew816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Huey Freeman
PAO

Default Re: Brass air fittings

No no new new
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: