Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 09-07-2006, 03:23 AM   #1
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

oldknickfan has decent reputation
Wink Do the Knicks have the best point and shooting guards?

A post in this forum titled "Francis Has Changed" cites this article that compares Steve Francis to LaBron and Kobe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by by HaNdLe ThE RoCk

Lucas: Francis Has Changed
5th September, 2006 - 10:15 am
Houston Chronicle - Steve Francis has been working out with John Lucas this summer, as he attempts to revitalize his career.

"He's different, different, different," said Lucas. "He's changed. I've seen the maturity click in. I've seen a different passion for basketball. He's not a young colt learning his way anymore. These next four years will be the prime years of his basketball career.

"Steve is as gifted an athlete as LeBron (James) or Kobe (Bryant), any of them," Lucas said. "Every year he doesn't make the All-Star Game is an embarrassment. We're trying to get him to slow down and see the game. I've really challenged him in front of his peers. He never answered back. He did the work. Normally, it would have been, 'I don't have to hear this (stuff) from Luke.' Now, he's just worked hard to put it all together."

So we are to believe that "the best point guard in the NBA" is joined by "the best shooting guard in Francis' mind?" LOL. Wake up Marbury and Francis: Don't compare yourself to the best until you prove that you deserve it! And then let others say it about you.

Do you think that Marbury is better than Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Steve Paul? Does Francis NOW deserve to be compared to LeBron James and Kobe Bryant?

The article boasts that "Steve is as gifted an athlete as LeBron (James) or Kobe (Bryant), any of them," Lucas said. "Every year he doesn't make the All-Star Game is an embarrassment." To compare him with LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, two younger players that demonstrate all-star performances each year IMHO -- is the embarrassment to Francis. Because he has not yet shown that he deserves to be compared to those two great players. Although older than those two, Francis has yet to show the burning desire to be one of the best that LeBron and Kobe regularly exhibit on a consistent basis.

No surprise Francis is disapointed with last year and it is good that he is motivated and working hard to improve. Francis, a career 19 ppg and 6 Apg & 6 RPG player, is comming off his worst season of 11 ppg, 3.5 APG and 3 RPG with the Knicks.

On the positve side, Francis does have the ability to challange Marbury as the leading Knick scorer this year. I expect boath to have a great year. But, I don't kmow that both of them would average about 20 PPG eventhough both are capable of and accustomed to doing that individually.

It should be an exciting year for the Knicks. But, they should let their play do the talking!

What do you think?

Last edited by oldknickfan : 09-07-2006 at 03:31 AM.
oldknickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #2
irimus
I airball my layups

irimus has an OK reputation so far

Well....Marbury is not the best pg in the league even if he think this...at least iverson and nash are better while francis is not a sg!He played pg all of his life...so that's the reason why i would trade francis because he is playing the same thing as stephon and i think steph is better
irimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irimus
Well....Marbury is not the best pg in the league even if he think this...at least iverson and nash are better while francis is not a sg!He played pg all of his life...so that's the reason why i would trade francis because he is playing the same thing as stephon and i think steph is better
I was being sarcastic about they're being the best.

But, I think they will do well together this year. Walt Fraisier and Earl "the Pearl" played the same position but did great together.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Quote:
Do you think that Marbury is better than Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Steve Paul? Does Francis NOW deserve to be compared to LeBron James and Kobe Bryant?

who is steve paul? do you mean chris paul?

and marbury is the best 1 on 1 point gaurd in the nba
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
1. who is steve paul? do you mean chris paul?

and
2. marbury is the best 1 on 1 point gaurd in the nba

1. I was wrong; I meant Chris Paul.
2. According to Steve Nash in Newsday. I'll post the article soon.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Here is the article:

KNICKS

Nash: 1-on-1, Marbury's best

BY ALAN HAHN
Newsday Staff Writer

August 26, 2006

Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning recently roasted the infamous "best point guard in the NBA" label Stephon Marbury placed on himself more than a year ago, but Steve Nash, the NBA's reigning two-time MVP, wouldn't dispute it.

"I know if I played one-on-one with Steph, he'd beat me probably every single time," Nash said Friday. "So in many ways, he's right."

The laid-back Phoenix Suns guard, who recently sheared his trademark scraggly locks for a buzz cut, has been in the New York area the past few days and made a guest appearance at the Knicks' youth basketball camp at Basketball City in Chelsea Piers. Though he didn't contradict Marbury's comment, he did apathetically add that, "it doesn't interest me that much."

What did interest Nash was talking to the kids at the camp about team play - "Never underestimate the importance of being a good teammate," he said - and that in itself might be all the reason why he thinks little of the Marbury claim. Nash's success, which includes a career-high, 22-assist performance against the Knicks in a triple-overtime loss at the Garden on Jan. 2, comes from having four other players on the court.

Nash says Marbury's new coach, Isiah Thomas, was his childhood idol. "He was a perfect player for me to emulate," Nash said. He also believes the Knicks will be better this year, even above .500, with Thomas running the bench.

"Everyone involved last year just didn't seem to mesh," he said. "Maybe they didn't have enough time, but they never seemed to have the chance to come together and click. With Isiah, it'll be a lot easier. It'll be a much better fit in a lot of ways."

After greeting Knicks guard Nate Robinson with a handshake, Nash explained how Thomas could be a better fit than Larry Brown.

"Larry's a teacher; it takes time to teach," Nash explained. "I think that Isiah will give them a lot more confidence in their style and I think you'll see a lot more of their talents coming out right away. With Larry, it would have taken a while. It would have worked, but it would have taken a while. And this is a difficult city for it to take a while."

Robinson, who earlier in the summer said Brown coached as if he was "trying to take away my joy," said there was more to blame than just coaching.

"It was more about our team," he said. "We need to give it up for the next guy instead of yourself."
Old 09-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

i know i read the article, thats where i got that from
Old 09-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldknickfan
Here is the article:

KNICKS

Nash: 1-on-1, Marbury's best

BY ALAN HAHN
Newsday Staff Writer

August 26, 2006

Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning recently roasted the infamous "best point guard in the NBA" label Stephon Marbury placed on himself more than a year ago, but Steve Nash, the NBA's reigning two-time MVP, wouldn't dispute it.

"I know if I played one-on-one with Steph, he'd beat me probably every single time," Nash said Friday. "So in many ways, he's right."

dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFl ash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion
The laid-back Phoenix Suns guard, who recently sheared his trademark scraggly locks for a buzz cut, has been in the New York area the past few days and made a guest appearance at the Knicks' youth basketball camp at Basketball City in Chelsea Piers. Though he didn't contradict Marbury's comment, he did apathetically add that, "it doesn't interest me that much."

What did interest Nash was talking to the kids at the camp about team play - "Never underestimate the importance of being a good teammate," he said - and that in itself might be all the reason why he thinks little of the Marbury claim. Nash's success, which includes a career-high, 22-assist performance against the Knicks in a triple-overtime loss at the Garden on Jan. 2, comes from having four other players on the court.

Nash says Marbury's new coach, Isiah Thomas, was his childhood idol. "He was a perfect player for me to emulate," Nash said. He also believes the Knicks will be better this year, even above .500, with Thomas running the bench.

"Everyone involved last year just didn't seem to mesh," he said. "Maybe they didn't have enough time, but they never seemed to have the chance to come together and click. With Isiah, it'll be a lot easier. It'll be a much better fit in a lot of ways."

After greeting Knicks guard Nate Robinson with a handshake, Nash explained how Thomas could be a better fit than Larry Brown.

"Larry's a teacher; it takes time to teach," Nash explained. "I think that Isiah will give them a lot more confidence in their style and I think you'll see a lot more of their talents coming out right away. With Larry, it would have taken a while. It would have worked, but it would have taken a while. And this is a difficult city for it to take a while."

Robinson, who earlier in the summer said Brown coached as if he was "trying to take away my joy," said there was more to blame than just coaching.

"It was more about our team," he said. "We need to give it up for the next guy instead of yourself."

yet people still hated on marbury saying 1 on 1 is nothing, it is if you do an iso at the end of the game for an easy bucket
Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #9
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
yet people still hated on marbury saying 1 on 1 is nothing, it is if you do an iso at the end of the game for an easy bucket

I expect Marbury to have his best season! Watch him lead the team in assists and points again.

The one question I have about him is will he be able to make the players around him better?

If so the Knicks will do well. If not, he will never be the PG that will lead the Knicks to a championship.

Crawford could be, if he continues to improve at the same rate he did last year, though.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

yeah steve nash didn't say that marbury was better than he was. He only said one on one in a park Marbury would take him. Which he probably would. But nobody currently today plays the pg position better than nash. And right now there isn't a better shooting guard than d-wade. Francis may have the skills of these guys but he isn't able to translate them to the court like those guys do. That's what make the great ones great. no disrespect to kobe and his 3 rings, but d-wade did everything this year. all his stats were up to the BENEFIT OF HIS TEAM. Now that's an MVP!!!
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
irimus
I airball my layups

irimus has an OK reputation so far

@knickscity: great post!!!
irimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
bigboss23
Banned

bigboss23 has an OK reputation so far

crawford is the best shooting guards on the knicks.period
bigboss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
yeah steve nash didn't say that marbury was better than he was. He only said one on one in a park Marbury would take him. Which he probably would. But nobody currently today plays the pg position better than nash. And right now there isn't a better shooting guard than d-wade. Francis may have the skills of these guys but he isn't able to translate them to the court like those guys do. That's what make the great ones great. no disrespect to kobe and his 3 rings, but d-wade did everything this year. all his stats were up to the BENEFIT OF HIS TEAM. Now that's an MVP!!!

You are right about Nash. He makes his team better.

So does Marbury, but only if he is the whole team ala 1-on-1! LOL

DWade had a great year and is only beginning to show how good he can be. Nobody knows how great he can be.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: