Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #181
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default

you probably do know what you're talking about, but thread starter doesn't, and my post was response to his stantements...i'm not saying that you're wrong,just that i don't view it so. anyway this seems more like a logical and even philosophical question than purely mathematical: 0.3 repeating and all repeating numbers are fiction anyway, they are what we define them
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #182
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 477
Juvenile has no real reputation yet.
Default

sorry, but 1/9 simply does not equal .1r. There's no way to write 1/9 in decimals.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 AM   #183
Lei
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 65
Lei has decent reputationLei has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
sorry, but 1/9 simply does not equal .1r. There's no way to write 1/9 in decimals.

There's no way to write 1/9 in decimals because 0.1 repeating is a infinitely repeating number and your life time is finite, just because There is no way for you to reach a planet 1 billion light years away doesn't mean that planet doesn't exist.
Lei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #184
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default

it exists, it's infinite and can't be written, so it's different than 1...at least the way i see it. but again, it's only the matter how we define repeating numbers, they don't exist in life anyways, but i personally was always seeing it as just an aproxximation and not the true value.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #185
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 477
Juvenile has no real reputation yet.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei
There's no way to write 1/9 in decimals because 0.1 repeating is a infinitely repeating number and your life time is finite, just because There is no way for you to reach a planet 1 billion light years away doesn't mean that planet doesn't exist.


even if it was possible to write an infinite amount of 1s, this number still would be smaller than 1/9.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #186
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
even if it was possible to write an infinite amount of 1s, this number still would be smaller than 1/9.

i personally do agree with you, but he/she is right that is only the matter how we define infinite numbers, because they only exist anyways because and as we defined them. we just disagree about the definition, but it's more of mathematical philosophy than pure mathematics anyways
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #187
Lei
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 65
Lei has decent reputationLei has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
even if it was possible to write an infinite amount of 1s, this number still would be smaller than 1/9.

Sorry but you just contradicted yourself.
Lei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #188
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 477
Juvenile has no real reputation yet.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei
Sorry but you just contradicted yourself.

how?
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #189
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,828
IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon
So let me ask you something....

Is 0.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999998 equal to 1?

Why not?

STFU already.

This is so ****ING RETARDED.,

If it was 1, you would say 1. Not 0.9 repeating.

For ****'S SAKE.

Obviously it's so damn miniscule that you could consider them the same. But the thing is they are NOT ABSOLUTELY 100% the same and of equal value.

God, you know.

I would bodyslam you if I saw you right now.
So you can't call 2 numbers 2 different things?

Like 0.9 repeating and 1? They are both the same thing...

Just like 1/2 and 8/16 equal 0.5....

So it is possible to call 2 diffent things the same number...or value
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #190
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,828
IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
this guy really seems like a bot...i'm repeating myself, but your first premise is false and you can't argue it. 1/3 isn't equal 0.3 repeating, 0.3 repeating is just closest simplification made up so 1/3 could be written at all. you can't write 1/3's decimal value as you think you can, because 0.3 repeating x 3 is not 1, it's just 0.9 repeating and never 1...as for your idiotic point that there must be something between 0.9 repeating and 1, answer is that it doesn't, because there is infinite amount of numbers just between every RATIONAL number, and this one is irrational...we can never know what is between one rational and one irrational number simply because we can't write irrational number as x/y (with x and y integers, that's why it's called so in the first place, we can never know it's true value)...and 0.3 repeating is irrational...and the fact we can't know what is between these two numbers DOESN'T AND CAN'T MAKE THEM EQUAL...for further explanation go find your maths teacher and not spam the forum with this BULL****. you probably think you're very smart and stuff, or that you made a breakthrough discovery, but believe me, you're either very,very stupid or just intentionally making up this stuff just for fun...if it's first, take some math classes, if it's second just go out and get a life
Okay man...

There is no such number between them, yet they aren't equal right?
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #191
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,828
IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
1/9 isn't exactly 0.1 repeating because 0.1 x 9 is 0.9 repeating and not exactly 1...there "may" be the way to prove it with advanced calculations and limits (i probably wouldn't understand it though) but that's surely not what thread starter meant, he's just repeating same stupid "proofs" over and over again

I DO know how to prove it with geometric series and limits as well...

But the thing is, like you said...YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND....And for the people who have taken Calculus...THEY ALREADY KNOW!

So I had to prove it with basic math...Which you still couldn't disprove...By saying things like, "There isn't a number between but it still isn't equal"
Or not being able to answer 1-0.9r with a real answer....



So who is the idiot now? I had to go on your math base level, I could've gone more advanced, but the people who can understand that already know 0.9 repeeating is 1


I would feel REALLY stupid right now if I were you
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #192
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,828
IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei
As someone who systematically studied math and especially the concept of LIMIT at an advanced level, I can tell everyone that "0.9 repeating= 1", not approximately, but absolutely. I was even shown a few ways to prove that when I was attending a Olympic Math class 7 years ago.

I am not gonna spend time on rigorously proving it here, I will just say that 0.9 repeating is simply another way to say 1, see the following demostration and you will know why:

what's 1/9? 0.1 repeating, correct?
what's 2/9? 0.2 repeating.
3/9? 0.3 repeating
4/9? 0.4 repeating
....

8/9? 0.8 repeating
9/9? 0.9 repeating logically and it's equal to 1


Anyway, it is actually not about math itself but about definitions. 0.9 repeating equals 1 is for the same reason 0.3 repeating equals 1/3. There is no argument for that, it's already defined that way.
Thank You Lei

For coming in...

Putting these idiots like Sharan in their place


Well maybe thats all I had to say...That I am really smart, and I know how to use limits and do geometric series (I really do)...I couldn't show that as a proof cuz they wouldn't understand, so I had to use basic math for dumasses like Sharan...And well, he couldn't say anything to disprove it, but still didn't believe it
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #193
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,828
IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
it exists, it's infinite and can't be written, so it's different than 1...at least the way i see it. but again, it's only the matter how we define repeating numbers, they don't exist in life anyways, but i personally was always seeing it as just an aproxximation and not the true value.


Hey Sharas

Maybe your just not in the mathmatical level with me and Lei


GO spend at least 5 more years and then you'll understand...Its ok to be stupid...You'll understand that I am RIGHT , and you are WRONG

Last edited by IceMan2 : 09-09-2006 at 12:12 PM.
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #194
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default

you didn't mentioned any of that for full thirteen pages, until lei did...i'm not a matematician, but i'm pretty damn sure you aren't too. most matematicians have better job to do than to "educate" people on BASKETBALL BOARD about infinite decimal numbers. i'm still sure you don't have clue what you are talking about. and you still haven't convinced me that one (you have said that 0.9 repeating is irrational) irrational number can be equal to one that is rational
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #195
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,828
IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Didn't you listen? What would be the point of talking about someting complex to you or anybody...

1. Like you said...You wouldn't understand
2. For the ones who DO understand, they already know that 0.9r = 1

So what would be the point?


Quote:
you have said that 0.9 repeating is irrational) irrational number can be equal to one that is rational

yeah...whats your point?



Like I said...It is common sense that if you can't name a number between 2 numbers, then they must be equal...Can you name a number between 8 and 9? Yes...How about 0.9r and 1? NO...If there is nothing between them, then how are they not the same?

Like I said...Maybe you'll understand after 5 years more of math
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy