Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #31
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRuled
actually, using the same notation used in the opening of the topic, since the repeating comes after the 0, the zero gets repeated, not the 1. therefore, my answer is right. 0 is repeated to infinity, and then a 1 is tacked on to the end of it.
That's what I've been trying to tell him for an hour.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #32
IceMan2
Local High School Star

IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
actually, using the same notation used in the opening of the topic, since the repeating comes after the 0, the zero gets repeated, not the 1. therefore, my answer is right. 0 is repeated to infinity, and then a 1 is tacked on to the end of it.
If 0 goes repeated infinity, how will there be anything on the back of it?
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #33
IceMan2
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportstownusa
. 000000000(infinite times) with a 1 at the end
If 0 goes repeated infinity, how will there be anything on the back of it?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #34
DreamRuled
Kids at the park dunk on me

DreamRuled has an OK reputation so far

the same way that 0 is repeated to infinity...in theory only.
DreamRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #35
IceMan2
Local High School Star

Quote:
the same way that 0 is repeated to infinity...in theory only.
If something gets repeated to infinity...

There can't possibly be something on the back of that...Think about that

You are repeating something forever...

That means it is not going to stop...If you think you can add a 1 at the end, why could'nt have a 0 taken the place of the 1...And kept the 0s going on forever...
Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #36
IceMan2
Local High School Star

And anyone want to try to explain the 1/3 example?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #37
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

yeah i didnt think it through, the 0 keeps repeating until the final 3 (if there is one) then it ends at 1...but it doesnt = 0
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #38
DreamRuled

it's also impossible to repeat somehting to infinity. all of this is done in theory, not in the real world. in theory, it is possible to do things like any integer divided by inifinity, and get a value, yet in reality, you can't divide something into an infinite number of pieces. you also can't have an infinite number of zeros in reality, and no, you can't put a 1 behind an infinite number of zeros in reality. but in theory, all of these things are possible.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #39
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I'm really not sure as to why this is a question. No, it's not 1. Do you grasp the concept of "infinity?" it will never round up to 1. never. never ever. thus infinity.

it will get closer and closer to 1 for infinity but it will never get there, it's an asymptote.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #40
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I mentioned something similar to this in another thread. No you would never eat it all because there would still be an extremely small fraction of sandwich left. My explanation was taking a point 20 feet from a wall and keep halfing the distance, the point will never reach the wall. It's a basic geometric rule that there are an infinite amount of points on a line.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #41
IceMan2
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
yeah i didnt think it through, the 0 keeps repeating until the final 3 (if there is one) then it ends at 1...but it doesnt = 0
If the 9 is going to go on forever...

The 0 too will have to go forever...

And you can't just add a 1 on to the infinite amount of 0s because, well... why couldn't you just add a another 0 in the place of the last 1 you said of adding?

The 0s would go on forever, the 1 would never hit...

There will be no end to the 0s, its infinite...
Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #42
IceMan2
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I'm really not sure as to why this is a question. No, it's not 1. Do you grasp the concept of "infinity?" it will never round up to 1. never. never ever. thus infinity.

it will get closer and closer to 1 for infinity but it will never get there, it's an asymptote.
Go against the

2 arguments for why it is TRUE
Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #43
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

but it still wouldn't equal 0 because there is an obvious visual distance. I know I know, never assume in Math. 0 = 0, 0 doesnt equal 0.1
Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #44
DreamRuled

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan2
Does 0.9 repeating = 1?

Case for TRUE

1. 1/3=0.3 repeating

Times both sides by 3

1=0.9 repeating?

you've stated a falsehood as a fact, as has been mentioned ealier. 1/3 does not equal 0.3 repeating. they nearly equivalent expressions, but they are not equal. since your basis for the proof begins with a flasehood, the rest of the statements can not be taken reasonable arguement proving something.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #45
IceMan2
Local High School Star

Quote:
it's also impossible to repeat somehting to infinity. all of this is done in theory, not in the real world. in theory, it is possible to do things like any integer divided by inifinity, and get a value, yet in reality, you can't divide something into an infinite number of pieces. you also can't have an infinite number of zeros in reality, and no, you can't put a 1 behind an infinite number of zeros in reality. but in theory, all of these things are possible.
What you are saying is there is a bigger number than a number list that goes on to infinity...

That just sounds totally wrong...

Numbers go all the way to infinity period...Infinity is a real concept if you look at it that way...

So you are gonna say right here that "in theory" there is a number bigger than infinity (Numbers that go to infinity)?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: