Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: How Do You Guys Like JO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Doesn't really matter how they perform. Pretty much everyone realizes that TJ wouldn't be putting up those numbers had he stayed. The current Raptors have more upside than if they had not done that deal.

I think when TJ was healthy and given the starting lineup, he did put up those numbers. Calderon put up similar numbers with better FG% and more consistency, which is why we stayed with him.

I am starting to think that we might have given up too much for JO. I mean, who knows what Hibbert can turn out to be right? He could have easily solved our Joey Graham delima. Maybe I am second guessing BC too much. Only time can tell.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #17
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMing4MVP
I think when TJ was healthy and given the starting lineup, he did put up those numbers. Calderon put up similar numbers with better FG% and more consistency, which is why we stayed with him.

I am starting to think that we might have given up too much for JO. I mean, who knows what Hibbert can turn out to be right? He could have easily solved our Joey Graham delima. Maybe I am second guessing BC too much. Only time can tell.

Those numbers for TJ came at the expense of Calderon's minutes however. It would have been borderline retarded anyway to keep both of them, the reins had to have been given to one person eventually. At the time, I'm sure TJ's value wasn't up to par with the 14/7 player he probably is so that played a factor as well.

As far as the assets we gave up, if O'Neal can give 15/8/2 relatively healthy, the package we gave up was pretty good value for a productive centre given the current rate.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #18
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Those numbers for TJ came at the expense of Calderon's minutes however. It would have been borderline retarded anyway to keep both of them, the reins had to have been given to one person eventually. At the time, I'm sure TJ's value wasn't up to par with the 14/7 player he probably is so that played a factor as well.

As far as the assets we gave up, if O'Neal can give 15/8/2 relatively healthy, the package we gave up was pretty good value for a productive centre given the current rate.
and even more than a numbers/value game, TJ is even more of an injury risk than JO in my opinon. I mean, he's a small guy who attacks the paint with regularity. Every time he gets knocked down you're not only wondering when, but if he'll get back up. I mean, I like the guy but there's a countless number of reasons why trading TJ makes sense.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #19
power works
High School JV MVP

At the very least the Raptors of 08-09 will be a better defensive team than last year.

With JO & Bosh there won't be many nights when they'll get outrebounded, which was a HUGE problem last season.

With JO patrolling the middle there wouldn't be too many clean paths to the hoop either, and hopefully that will prevent the LeBrons & Wades from burning them for 30-40.

Yup one guy can make that difference.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #20
Timmee
Can barely lace up my sneakers

If he and Chris can just connect, it can go a longgggggggg way
Timmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #21
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
At the very least the Raptors of 08-09 will be a better defensive team than last year.

With JO & Bosh there won't be many nights when they'll get outrebounded, which was a HUGE problem last season.

With JO patrolling the middle there wouldn't be too many clean paths to the hoop either, and hopefully that will prevent the LeBrons & Wades from burning them for 30-40.

Yup one guy can make that difference.
This is what I absolutely do not understand (somewhat unrelated to what you just posted). Last year at this time, the main issue that was being talked about was the additions to the Celtics and where we stand in the division/conference. We had the same issues of being weak at the wings and not really having a creator (i guess you could say with the excetion of an often times sporadic TJ Ford). But now, it's like since we got JO, people have put those problems under a microscope as if they've increased somehow and made us worse.

If you ask me which problem is greater between defense/rebounding and having dynamic guards who penetrate and create shots for themselves, i'd say it's the former. Look at a team like the 04 Pistons. Rip Hamilton is a great scorer, but he's primarily a catch and shoot guy that runs around screens. He does that better than most in the league, but he's not a superstar, and neither is Chauncey. The cornerstone of that team is defense and rebouding.

Now, of course one player isn't going to single handedly make us the Pistons or the Spurs in that regard, but he will go a long way towards that cause, without a doubt. A healthy Jermaine makes us a better team, there's no doubt in my mind. Even if the improvement is marginal.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: