Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
3stat2
Local High School Star

Default Predict 08-09 stats for your favourite Sun

...and you can add more if you like. We all know that stats don't tell the whole story, but this might be fun if you're bored.

Things to note:
- Shaq, Lopez, Amundson, Diaw, Barnes to help out with rebounding.
- Kerr wants more emphasis on using Amare as a clear go-to-guy.
- Porter wants to limit Nash's minutes.
- Dragic and Singletary will probably help reduce Nash's minutes.
- Instead of inbounding and running up the court immediately after the opponent scores, we'll look for a good half-court set shot. However, after defensive stops, we'll still get out on the break. Porter mentioned we aim to score 100ppg instead of 110.
- Shaq is 1 year older.

So here goes:

-------------------------

Amare Stoudemire - bit hard to say. He played 34 minutes per game last season, which will probably increase this season. The first month of last season, he was recovering from that clean-up knee surgery, so his numbers were below par (about 19/8 in November - pretty low, and it dragged his season averages down).

Scoring
After the Shaq trade, his field goal percentage was a supersonic 59%, while his scoring was at 28.5ppg. He had a month where he averaged 29.3 points and played 38 minutes/game. He shot 89% from the line that month as well. In the last month before the playoffs, he shot 62.3% from the field.

In the last 2 months where he was getting more adjusted to playing as a power forward, he shot 59.7% from the field. Quite simply, he is an offensive machine. He also seems to bump up his free throw percentage every offseason. He mentioned that one of the things he's worked on over the offseason is improving the efficiency of his offensive moves - less steps needed to get to the basket, better use of angles, finding ways to take the highest percentage shot whenever possible - I'm guessing it's that kind of thing. And then we need to consider that Kerr wants to run things through Amare as a clear cut go-to-guy.

Rebounding
In terms of rebounds, he probably won't get as many thanks to our extra depth at the 5. I'm not sure if he's still being instructed to let our center get the defensive board and run out on the fast break. If he is, expect his rebounding numbers to go down, maybe to 8-8.5 or so. Of course, this is going to provide fuel for people who don't like Amare, but I'm not fussed. Then again, with increased minutes, he might increase his rebounding. It depends a lot on what Porter wants him to do in terms of getting the board or getting out on the break.

Assists
In Feb and March, he averaged 2.1 assists, probably a product of moving to the 4. As he gets more comfortable being the clear cut go-to-guy, he has the potential to increase his assists a bit.

Overall, it's all about a balance between the change in system, increased minutes, and Amare's improvement over the offseason.

What's his ceiling?
If he gets more minutes than only 34/game, then he's got a shot at the scoring title. He took 17 shots/game after the allstar break - compared to over 20 for both Kobe and Lebron. When he averaged 29.3ppg for a month, it was on 18 shots. Imagine if he was our clear go-to-guy, playing at his natural position, getting 38 minutes/game and taking 20 shots per contest. I think it would more than compensate for any decrease in pace.

Predicted stats - I think he might start off a little slowly as everyone gets used to Porter's system. In the end, it could round out at 30ppg, 8.4 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 2 blocks, 61% FG, 83% FT, 38 minutes/game. I hope I haven't sounded too homerish - I think what I've posted is reasonable considering the justification given.

In the end though, I'll still be happy if he only averages 19/8 - as long as our Suns are doing awesome.

There, that killed a bit of time.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
3stat2
Local High School Star

Default Re: Predict 08-09 stats for your favourite Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2
30ppg, 8.4 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 2 blocks, 61% FG, 83% FT, 38 minutes/game.
I should probably mention that with the above line, it's not with him attempting 20+ shots per game. More like 18.5. If he gets over 20, you can pen him in for a scoring title and 33 points per game. But with the players we have, I simply don't think there will be enough shots to go around for him to average 20 without forcing lower-percentage shots.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
drummer44
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I don't think we'll see Amare getting 38 mpg, at least I hope not. I'd rather see him around 34-35. As deep as we look, I'd like to see all the starters around that mark. Remember, we got Hill, Diaw, LB that need a lot of minutes also. Those three right there give us a helluva bench. Then if Goran gives us decent backup pg minutes, we'll be looking good. ten deep.

This is suppose to be a motion offense with more players touching the ball. However, I would like to see the offense run more through Amare, just not constantly. I'd rather see a well balanced offense that's difficult to guard. When you become one dimensional it's easier to defend in the playoffs when the other team has more time to study you.

I see Amare around the 25ppg, 8 boards, 2 blocks, 3 assists.
drummer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
3stat2
Local High School Star

Well in the early going it looks like I'm going to be completely off. 30ppg? Hah! He's not putting up as many shots as before, particularly in the first half of games, but he's getting more rebounds. Let's see how it goes as the season moves along...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Maniak
Warm Winds

Dirk only got like 26ppg 9rpg in his MVP season, but he led a team to 67-15 which played a factor.

Now, I know Amare can get 30ppg/11rpg if used right(which hasnt happened so far), and the suns can win nearly 60 games.

So if Terry Porter can use him correctly in plays and he can hit a prime playing ability then we have our next MVP!
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
KingJay718
Serious playground baller

27.5 ppg, 11.0, and 3
KingJay718 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: