Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Arrow Moon beats Kapono in 3 point contest

i was reading another board and one of the posters there attended the raptors open practice. aaaaand jamario beat kapono in the 3 point shoot out.

i'm sure i'm not the only one who's noticed jamario taking a few extra 3's in the preseason so far...

anyways... anyone as equally stunned as i am that jamario beat jason?
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Moon beats Kapono in 3 point contest

Fluke probably, but still shows signs of Jamarios improvement.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Tool
Ball til I fall

Tool is considered somewhat coolTool is considered somewhat cool

Nope don't believe it. Moon's garbage jumper will never be half as good as JK's quick release.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

If it's true, it is a combination of luck and improvement on Jamario's part. Everybody was assuming that Jamario didn't do much in the off-season, because we didn't hear about him much. I saw one clip in the preseason where he shook off Thad Young pretty nicely, but ended up passing instead of shooting, it was quite a move. I think he needs to have more confidence while pulling those moves and not worry about it if he misses...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Fluke probably, but still shows signs of Jamarios improvement.

That's not an improvement if Moon worked on taking threes in the off season. He's been told to work on his ball handling skills and develop more strength to take the ball to the rim.

That would explain the Raptors dissatisfaction with his lack of improvements coming into training camp this year.

Moon does not get it. Work on the game the team needs, not the game he wants to develop. We need a wing with athleticism that can take the ball to the rim aggressively. Take advantage of the open lanes created by the double teams Bosh and JO will see. He's been given a great opportunity and he's blowing it away.

Fringe players that do what they want are a dime a dozen in this league. Moon is quickly relegating himself to nothing more then a foot note in a league full of athletes that do what they want to do.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
J000
ISH #1 AFGHAN

J000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected poster

He should work on his mid-range shots and his ball handling skills.
He should also work on his confidence on attacking the rim, so if he has the shots and the strive to attack the rim, he could be a lethal player.
J000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think his shooting is exactly what he should be working on. Mid-range and 3pt. Teams consistently played off him last year and will likely do the same again this year. You beat that kind of defense but making your shots. The worst was when it was Bosh-Bargnani-Moon on the floor. Teams would put their C on Moon and it worked.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Tool
Ball til I fall

Tool is considered somewhat coolTool is considered somewhat cool

I really don't want Moon to work on any part of his jump shot. We have plenty of shooters, so we'll need guys like him, JO and CB to be around the rim to rebound.

Getting bigger and stronger should have been his goal for the off-season that way he could at least bring something to this team other than his jumping ability. If he were to have done that over the course of the off-season he could have worked on his game come training camp i.e ball handling in order to attack the basket.

B4ball has it spot on, Moon doesn't get it and if he wants to stick around the NBA for a little while he probably should drop the jumper from his game
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
That's not an improvement if Moon worked on taking threes in the off season.

Definitions of improvement on the Web:

a change for the better; progress in development
the act of improving something
a condition superior to an earlier condition

Jamario Moon shooting threes better than previous = Improvement.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Definitions of improvement on the Web:

a change for the better; progress in development
the act of improving something
a condition superior to an earlier condition

Jamario Moon shooting threes better than previous = Improvement.

Now go ask Sam Mitchell if Moon improved.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
hassano
High School Varsity 12th Man

hassano has decent reputationhassano has decent reputation

i think Qs right, if he actually has improved his jumper and teams play him tighter, itll be easier for him to go to the rim....
and yeahh its still an improvement, even though Smitch might not be happy about it but he cant deny it
hassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

You need to stop this man. Clearly we are talking about Jamario Moon's shooting, if he is shooting better than he was last season it's obviously an improvement. If we were talking about other things such as his ball handling and defence, it would be a different story. I don't think any player has ever lessened his value and impact on a team by improving their shot.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Parps
I hit open 5-footers

Parps is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
You need to stop this man. Clearly we are talking about Jamario Moon's shooting, if he is shooting better than he was last season it's obviously an improvement. If we were talking about other things such as his ball handling and defence, it would be a different story. I don't think any player has ever lessened his value and impact on a team by improving their shot.

I think the point here is that he could have been working on his handles and strength instead of his 3pt shot.

I'm not saying he didn't improve, I'm saying he would be more effective if he worked on the certain aspects of his game for his role with the Raptors. (considering they are the ones that are putting food on his table)
Parps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
b4ball
Local High School Star

Well said Parps, that is exactly the point.

Let's just look at Moon so far this pre-season.

Cleaveland, 16:31 minutes, 0 free throws
knicks, 27:32 minutes, 0 free throws
Philly, 27:06 minutes, 2 free throws
CKSA, 20:28 minutes, 2 free throws
Minnesota, 28:41 minutes, 0 free throws
Clips, 25:15 minutes, 2 free throws
Lakers, 14:10 minutes, 0 free throws.

That's three fouls against him in 7 games. Does that sound familiar to anybody here? And somebody thinks it's a good idea for him to work on his jump shot! This team has all the shooting it needs. Kapono, Bargnani, Calderon, Parker, what we need is a slasher, someone who will find that open lane created by Bosh and JO.

Yes, Moon should look at expanding every facet of his game, but what the Raptors wanted was for him to get stronger and more aggressive at going to the basket, and to improve his ball handling.

Moon is on the last year of a guaranteed two year minimum salary deal! How stupid is it to be the last one to show up at camp, out of shape and not having worked on what the Raptors wanted?

I'm a Raptor fan that is disappointed, pissed really that Moon is not going to help us out by providing what we need this year because ??? We have provided him an opportunity and he wasted it.

Last edited by b4ball : 10-20-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball

I'm a Raptor fan that is disappointed, pissed really that Moon is not going to help us out by providing what we need this year because ??? We have provided him an opportunity and he wasted it.

Very much agree with B4ball... slashers don't go 0/8 at the field (lakers game)

during the interview, i was really upset when he said he worked on his jumpshots.. just take it to the damn hole!!!

i would play Joey before him.. coz Joey is looking to dunk the ball everytime
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: