Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Will Solomon

What are your early impressions of him? What do you like and not like?

He really reminds me of a less trigger-happy Mike James.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
RapsFan
Great college starter

Default Re: Will Soloman

I am pretty happy with him actually. I don't think backup PG will at all be an issue now.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

For 5-10 minutes a game I'm fine with him.

He has a fairly decent shot.

He does seem to be a little out of wack when it comes time for him to run a set-up offense though.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

I think he'll be a solid back up as well. He seems to get his shot off with ease, he doesnt seem like a pass first PG, but more of a SG mentality during stretches. Im not sure if this because he's trying to impress or if its his game. However I can see Ukic getting more burn over 82 games simply cause of his age and potential.

He's definitly making the back up PG position hard for Sam to decide on, based on his play so far.

Also Ukic hasnt looked to bad either....for a rook.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Could use more creativity from him but as long as he shoots alright I'm fine with it. Hopefully one of Bosh/O'Neal will be on the floor anyway with the bench so playmaking won't be a huge issue. Kills his dribble real early.

Quote:
However I can see Ukic getting more burn over 82 games simply cause of his age and potential.

I'm with you there. The league will adjust and probably play off him to compensate for his quickness but he's in a good situation to develop with the PG situation fairly solid.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I've liked what I've seen from him too. Especially since he'll only be playing 10-13 minutes per games. And if he can be like the Mike James of Toronto then great. James had a very good year here in TO. He may have taken a ton of shots but with the %'s he was putting up, he was entitled to them.

Ukic will be more of a factor down the road in 1-2 years. He is the long-term plan. Solomon is just a stop-gap but a decent one from what I've seen.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #7
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

I have liked what I have seen as well. He isn't great at running the offense by any stretch of the imagination, but he has played solid in the time that he has been given. During the season he will only see 15 minutes at the most and I have confidence in him being able to run a team for that amount of time.

He does have times where he looks confused when he is supposed to be running a half court set, but that is to be expected for a couple of reasons. First, he is really not a pure point guard at all. He is a 2 guard in a points body and he probably hasn't ran too many offenses lately (correct me if I am wrong as I haven't followed him over seas or anything like that lol) so there will obviously be growing pains in this area. Secondly, he is not only playing with a new team, but he is playing in a new league altogether. I know he has had previous experience in the NBA but it has to be hard to come from Europe and play point guard in the NBA. I don't expect him to become great at running an offense, but as long as the offense doesn't become really stagnant when he is on, it is fine.

His jumper is looking pretty nice thus far and hopefully he can continue to knock down shots during the season. As long as he is hitting shots it is a positive because he won't be relied on heavily to create for others as either Bosh or JO will most likely be on the floor whenever he is and the offense will be ran through them. He just has to keep knocking down shots and spreading the floor for the Raptors bigs to go to work down low. As long as he doesn't start chucking shots at an alarming rate, I am fine with him. He has shown the ability to knock down jumpers and if he is hitting I have no problem him taking them.

All in all, I have been impressed with what I have seen. He should have no problems in his 10-15 minutes of playing time spelling Calderon.

As for Ukic, I don't expect him to be much of a factor this season. He is going to have to adjust to the NBA game and develop certain areas of his game, mainly his shooting, before being able to contribute to a winning atmosphere. He will assume a larger role in a year or two in my opinion. This first season will just be a learning experience.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

He'll be fine playing 10-15 minutes a game. He's looked better than I expected so far.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
insidehoops
Administrator

Who is better, Will Solomon or Roko Ukic?
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Beebo
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Who is better, Will Solomon or Roko Ukic?

Ukic has lots of potential. He's gonna get better once he gets the experience.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Default Re: Will Solomon pretty good in preseason

I think i feel more comfortable with Ukic as "pg" but as for Solom more as sg for some reason.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
T-Low
College superstar

Default Re: Will Solomon pretty good in preseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
I think i feel more comfortable with Ukic as "pg" but as for Solom more as sg for some reason.

Solomon is more of a scorer and he is naturally a SG...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Default Re: Will Solomon

Solomon... Way too many turnovers to be a point guard

not only does he need to pass the ball more, but passes have to be constructive/innovative to create plays.. instead of just passing the ball to guy next to you when you run out of dribbles

Last edited by Sekman : 10-17-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
Beebo
Good college starter

He has no clue on how to run the offence....he's an undersized SG, kinda like Juan Dixon.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

He has better handles and is a better passer than Dixon. The turnovers have been bad but all the rest has been decent enough for someone who will only play 10-13 minutes per game.

Some people are way too obsessed with having a pass-first PG. If he is out there with scrubs and he is the only perimeter player capable of getting his own shot and he's shooting at a decent rate, I say fire away. People make comparisons to Mike James as if that was a bad thing. Mike James had a VERY good year in Toronto.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: