Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Default Raptors backup PG, HUGE TROUBLE!

Will Salomon isn't getting minutes no more .... Rokic IS NOT ready to be a Point Guard in any way ..... pressure from the lakers back court, was eating Rokic ALIVE! he kept on passing it to Kapono, you know how that ends .... he looks just pure scared out there ..... doesn't really know what to do ..... well at least against the lakers back court ..... Caldron prolly liked it competing for mintues with Tj Ford .... now when Caldron goes out ..... i really don't know .... what yall think .... don't believe me? watch when the season starts ..... Rokic anit ready for nothing .... Sam doesn't play Soloman!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
power works
High School JV MVP

Default Re: Raptors backup PG, HUGE TROUBLE!

There are a couple of plays where Ukic REALLY looked like a rookie.....come to think of it he is one. When he didn't come to the ball when the Lakers trapped resulting in Kapono bringing up the ball (and turning it over). And when Farmar stripped him easily.

Other than that he did what he was supposed to do---try to initiate the offence. He played almost 15 straight minutes. Most of that time he was steady, and that's all I would expect out of him. Steady. Not spectacular or even borderline good. He found Bargs a couple of times for a mid-range J, and one drive resulted in a Hassan Adams dunk. His lack of outside shooting meant that the guy guarding him usually sagged off. That's the big problemo.

The Raptors are hoping for just 10-15 steady minutes a game from Ukic/Solomon. I think they should be capable of that. And of course Jose staying healthy. Cause if he goes down da Raps are TOTALLY SCREWED.

Last edited by power works : 10-20-2008 at 10:24 AM.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

Yes their play so far would make you concerned....

Im not sure id panic yet though.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

ATM, i much rather put ukic out there, solomon looks like a mike james wanna be, throwing up too many shots, taht's why i think he's been on a short leash.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Parps
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen5
ATM, i much rather put ukic out there, solomon looks like a mike james wanna be, throwing up too many shots, taht's why i think he's been on a short leash.

Ha! that's who he reminded me of...Mike James...
Parps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Jballer
Local High School Star

So you want DMart back?

Far far to early to panic.

Actually I like the combo of RU and WS. They compliment each other in styles... change ups.

It seems to me they will end up sharing roughly the same minutes for a whole season; depending on the D. I see RU plaing the Jose tempo more, and WS playing run and gun minutes with the second line.

I can see Sam shifting to a run and gun O with Humph, Barges, WS, Parker and Moon as the 2nd unit on the floor. Force the other team into a situation they didnt anticipate as the 1st line looks to be half court and D solid.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
If it's the Mike James from Toronto then how is that a bad thing? James was a very good player for the Raptors. Solomon's main problem so far has been the turnovers. He seems to be leaving his feet a lot to make passes. But he is making his shots, getting some assists and definitely a better defensive player than Ukic. Since the backup PG will only be getting 10-15 minutes per game, I can live with Solomon playing that.

Some of you are way too obsessed with a PG doing nothing but pass, pass and pass more. It's ok to shoot the ball.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
If it's the Mike James from Toronto then how is that a bad thing?

mike james shot the ball too much, brings it down half count set n dont even try to pass n dash a ball up to the basket, he wasn't good, if he was good then he woudln't need to shoot 20 shots a game n make turnovers after turnovers on driving in.

The Raptors now dont need such a player so is this not a bad thing? Solomon right now is pushing but that just the chance ukic needs to prove he's a better PG than him. Ukic might not be doing much but he is learning and he does not throw up a shot after the pass from inbound. He moves around well he just have to get more experience.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Mike James shot 47% from the field and 44% from 3 in Toronto. If it were up to me, I say give that kind of a player all the shots he wants. And in 37 minutes per game while being the primary ball handler, he only turned it over 2.6 times per game.

I know it's fun to dump on the shoot-first PG but Mike James was a VERY efficient player in Toronto and at that time, was entitled to all those shots he took. Let's get this "Mike James sucked in Toronto" myth out of the way because he was a very good player that year for the Raptors.

That team sucked because it only Bosh, James and no one else. Villanueva was competent but nothing too great.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Mike James shot 47% from the field and 44% from 3 in Toronto. If it were up to me, I say give that kind of a player all the shots he wants. And in 37 minutes per game while being the primary ball handler, he only turned it over 2.6 times per game.

I know it's fun to dump on the shoot-first PG but Mike James was a VERY efficient player in Toronto and at that time, was entitled to all those shots he took. Let's get this "Mike James sucked in Toronto" myth out of the way because he was a very good player that year for the Raptors.

That team sucked because it only Bosh, James and no one else. Villanueva was competent but nothing too great.

He wasn't a bad player, but he made poor decisions late in the game. Instead of passing it down low, or make a play for his teammates, he would put the game of on his shoulders and jack up shots.
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
So you want DMart back?

Far far to early to panic.

Actually I like the combo of RU and WS. They compliment each other in styles... change ups.

It seems to me they will end up sharing roughly the same minutes for a whole season; depending on the D. I see RU plaing the Jose tempo more, and WS playing run and gun minutes with the second line.

I can see Sam shifting to a run and gun O with Humph, Barges, WS, Parker and Moon as the 2nd unit on the floor. Force the other team into a situation they didnt anticipate as the 1st line looks to be half court and D solid.

Ukic and Jose have polar opposite playing styles. If anything, the team will be more up tempo with Ukic on the floor than Solomon.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Its preseason, no matter how many turn over Ukic/Solom have they stayed in, in real season 2 turnovers maybe even one for Ukic or Solomon Calderon is coming in. The same goes for Humphires when he settle for those scary jumpers he takes.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
Will Salomon isn't getting minutes no more .... Rokic IS NOT ready to be a Point Guard in any way ..... pressure from the lakers back court, was eating Rokic ALIVE! he kept on passing it to Kapono, you know how that ends .... he looks just pure scared out there ..... doesn't really know what to do ..... well at least against the lakers back court ..... Caldron prolly liked it competing for mintues with Tj Ford .... now when Caldron goes out ..... i really don't know .... what yall think .... don't believe me? watch when the season starts ..... Rokic anit ready for nothing .... Sam doesn't play Soloman!

Any Rookie would make mistakes against the lakers, come on its the lakers with all the star power he was probably a little scared to get on that floor with them kinda like CB4 & Wince Carter were the first time they faced the Spurs back in the day...
He needs time lets just give it to him...We litterally can't afford not to.
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: