Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #16
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
good point. andy Byron Scott was the 4th pick....so good that they trade Norm Nixon to get him (which was ballsy at the time).

That team was hella deep! And heck, we get to still hear Mychal Thompson on KLAC 570 radio! ha!
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 AM   #17
Rocker09
Rock & Basketball

Rocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected poster

The Magic Johnson era...that was one of the best teams in NBA history...It was made even sweeter by the rivalry with the celtics...
Rocker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:43 AM   #18
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker09
The Magic Johnson era...that was one of the best teams in NBA history...It was made even sweeter by the rivalry with the celtics...

it made it even more bitter when lakers lost to the celtics.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #19
lakers-city
Good college starter

lakers-city has decent reputationlakers-city has decent reputation

Quote:
just because they won 3 in a row doesn't make them better, nor more dominant. in fact, i would bet everything that Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Byron, Coop, etc. would DESTROY Kobe, Shaq, and their cast of characters. DESTROY. Showtime Lakers in 5.

of course it does, winning 3 in a row makes them more consistant.

and if you think a 38 years old kareem could even keep up with 27-29 years old shaq then you are daydreaming.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #20
lakers-city
Good college starter

Quote:
Exactly right. Kareem would skyhook all day long. Nothing Shaq, at his best, could do about it. Lakers2000 had no answer for Magic, nor Worthy. Showtime could put Coop on Kobe which would slow him down significantly. Showtime played great D. And rebounded solid.

kareem was averaging 15-6 on his last day in LA.

why do you think we lost all those finals to less talented teams as boston, detroit and philadelphia ?? because the captain was old.

if the captain were in his prime i would say showtimers in 4, but with kareem being old and shaq being at his best i say shaq/kobe/phil in 6.

shaq averaged 17 rebounds per game with LA on the first year (in the finals)

16 rebounds on the second

12.4 rebound on the third

11.0 rebound in the 4th.

the kobe/shaq lakers were better deffensively and rebounding than magic, worthy and kareem.

also this wasnt to argue about it, the point was just to say which laker team (which won a championship) was oyur favorite.

and mine is 2001

Last edited by lakers-city : 09-14-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #21
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers-city
kareem was averaging 15-6 on his last day in LA.

why do you think we lost all those finals to less talented teams as boston, detroit and philadelphia ?? because the captain was old.

if the captain were in his prime i would say showtimers in 4, but with kareem being old and shaq being at his best i say shaq/kobe/phil in 6.

shaq averaged 17 rebounds per game with LA on the first year (in the finals)

16 rebounds on the second

12.4 rebound on the third

11.0 rebound in the 4th.

the kobe/shaq lakers were better deffensively and rebounding than magic, worthy and kareem.

also this wasnt to argue about it, the point was just to say which laker team (which won a championship) was oyur favorite.

and mine is 2001

Why are you comparing a 41 year old Kareem to Shaq in his prime. Compare them both in their prime. Kareem...6 time MVP!!!
And you are very wrong...kobe/shaq were never better than showtime defensively, not even close.
Also, your history is very shaky...we only lost to Detroit when Kareem was old...we beat Philly, we split w Boston.
Why do you think Shaq/Kobe lost to Spurs (in conf play) and Detroit in finals? Cause Shaq was soft.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #22
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

as the generations get older and the new people come on the spotlight they seem to perfect many styles of play and because of that I would have to choose the lakers of 2000 because people develop more skills and the Zone defense was starting to be used a lot during the ater times.

I hate when people say "hand checking was allowed back then" but i didnt see much of a zone either back then and the zone is mmuch tougher and more physical than a hand check today.

the lakers of 2000-03 fought much harder than the showtime lakers.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:45 AM   #23
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Showtime Lakers by far. The talent in the 80s between the elite teams(Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, etc) was much more balance. On 2001, yeah, the lakers were unbelievable, but in 00 and 02, the lakers had a few scares.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #24
schyza
High School Starter

schyza has decent reputationschyza has decent reputation

Come on this is a no brainier since Kareem was better than Shaq hands down he would have had Shaq 15 ft from the hoop draining skyhooks on him all night long. Magic was better then Kobe I like Kobe but there is no way he could play all 5 positions on the floor and play them well plus the Magic mans court vision no one can compare. For the rest of the roster I shouldn’t even need to compare. The 80’s role players would mop the floor with the 2000-2002 roster Byron would be running circles around Fisher Big Game James and Cooper would have killed Horry and Fox there is no sense in debating. I got a question for you all, well maybe the old timers more so but which was better to see a game Staples Center or the Good ole Great Western Forum? I personally liked the GWF Staples seems to be too high the seats seem to reach the heavens. The Forum was nice it sat a good # of fans but didn’t have all the luxury boxes that make the upper levels even higher off the court poorly designed in my opinion.
schyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #25
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
as the generations get older and the new people come on the spotlight they seem to perfect many styles of play and because of that I would have to choose the lakers of 2000 because people develop more skills and the Zone defense was starting to be used a lot during the ater times.

I hate when people say "hand checking was allowed back then" but i didnt see much of a zone either back then and the zone is mmuch tougher and more physical than a hand check today.

the lakers of 2000-03 fought much harder than the showtime lakers.

lakerfreak...you're freakin.
"fought much harder"?? you must be kiddin. Mychal Thompson? AC Green? Coop? the list goes on. and they fought against REAL tough teams like Celts, Bad Boys. And listen, Shaq was never that "tough", just real big. he didn't hustle. he didn't fight for boards.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #26
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
"fought much harder"?? you must be kiddin. Mychal Thompson? AC Green? Coop? the list goes on. and they fought against REAL tough teams like Celts, Bad Boys. And listen, Shaq was never that "tough", just real big. he didn't hustle. he didn't fight for boards.

Well they won 3 times in a row...aint that impressive?

and quit hatin on me just cuz my opinions always different from yours.

Im entitled to my own opinion...And your also saying sacramento and san antonio werent tough teams?

Lakers faced them every single year. Dont you remember horry's shot that saved us from probably an elimination the next game? it wasn't easy...and remember every playoff game where shaq Got fouled out...who was out there trying to Carry his team and win late in Games...None other than ma man Kobe Bryant.

I like the Showtime era sooo much but ur reacting as if I said they were horrible or something..Come on I know they won 5 ships....I know Magic Was the best.

Not taking anything away from them...but in this day N age i just simply have to pick Shaq and Kobe.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #27
lakers-city
Good college starter

Quote:
Why are you comparing a 41 year old Kareem to Shaq in his prime. Compare them both in their prime. Kareem...6 time MVP!!!
And you are very wrong...kobe/shaq were never better than showtime defensively, not even close.
Also, your history is very shaky...we only lost to Detroit when Kareem was old...we beat Philly, we split w Boston.
Why do you think Shaq/Kobe lost to Spurs (in conf play) and Detroit in finals? Cause Shaq was soft.

of course shaq and kobe are better deffensively than magic/kareem.

shaq is an equal rebounder to kareem wether you like to admit it or not (just check the career averages for regular season, playoffs and finals)

and kobe has been first defensive team tons of times, magic's 1on1 defense sucked badly in case you dont remember.

also kareem won 6 MVP in the regular season, shaq won 3 in a row in the finals where legends are born.

im comparing old kareem because old kareem is what the showtimers had.

we lost to the spurs because duncan was unbelieveable.

we lost to the pistons because kobe was a ballhog.

Last edited by lakers-city : 09-19-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #28
lakers-city
Good college starter

Quote:

shaq averaged 15.7 rebounds in 00 in 23 playoffs games, 15.4 rebounds in 16 playoffs games in 01, 12.7 rebounds in 19 playoffs games in 02, 14.6 rebounds in 12 playoffs games in 2003, 13.2 rebounds in 22 playoffs games in 04, 13.3 rebounds in 3 games in 93, 11.9 in 95, 11.6 in 98.

16.7 rebounds in the 00 finals.

15.8 rebounds in the 01 finals.

12.3 rebounds in the 02 finals.

12.5 rebounds in the 95 finals.

yeah, i guess he didnt fight for rebounds.

Last edited by lakers-city : 09-19-2006 at 11:40 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: