Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
tgan3
Local High School Star

Default Denver Nuggets are 5-1 in preseason, isnt that a good sign?

I think they might do pretty well this year, doesnt mean having a team loaded of superstars will win. Teamwork and chemistry is more important. Coach is stressing defense this year.
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Denver Nuggets are 5-1 in preseason, isnt that a good sign?

Welcome to the forum , first

5 - 1 is definetly very good. Considering Also AI missed many games, and Melo didnt play the first two. It shows we got a very good bench.
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

It's good, but San Antonio is 3-4 and Cleveland is 3-5....preseason success doesn't equate to regular season success, and vice versa.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Geandily
Local High School Star

It's usually a good indicator of the depth on your team, look at the Lakers preseason record last year. They were TERRIBLE and they started off the season terribly too.

Then we know what happened from there, mostly I would say it's a good way to gauge early season success, so I predict the Nuggets to start off well (especially if we can win those first two games without Melo)
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
tgan3
Local High School Star

They are 6-1 now. Contrary to what others think, I think they do have a good chance to qualify for the playoffs. Getting out of the first round really depends on them though.
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

great preseason- when the nugs match up against teams that arent super serious about winning the nugs will usually win

i believe that this shows that the nuggets will win a lot of meaningless games this year

playoffs here we come- that is all we expect here
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

If anyone cares, I averaged JR's stats for the preseason...

23.7 minutes | 15.3 points | 2.0 rebounds | 2.3 assists | 1.9 steals

Not bad, but I expect him to get around 30mpg in the regular season and boost all of those stats.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
If anyone cares, I averaged JR's stats for the preseason...

23.7 minutes | 15.3 points | 2.0 rebounds | 2.3 assists | 1.9 steals

Not bad, but I expect him to get around 30mpg in the regular season and boost all of those stats.

why???

why would you expect jr to play 30 mpg? what signs could lead you to believe that karl will do this?

keep in mind that karl plays iverson 40ish mpg- add in anthony carters 30mpg- where does that leave jr more minutes

i wish you were right & jr would play the minutes he should- i just dont see in happening
Old 10-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

I think he will get his minutes in bulk in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters to help build leads, then down the stretch he will get taken out because he's a defensive liability and for his poor shot selection in clutch situations. AC's minutes will drop a decent amount.

Looking at last years stats, JR averaged 19mpg and AC averaged 28....30mpg for JR is a little unrealistic, I didn't realize he only got 19 minutes last year.

I think JR and AC will be about even at 25mpg

Last edited by OneMoreSucka : 10-25-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
Geandily
Local High School Star

He was our most effective player throughout the playoffs last year, Karl is an idiot if he doesn't get JR 35 minutes a game. (Karl is an idiot)
Old 10-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

One thing this team really needs is a GOOD mentor. Every great team has one, and it's usually a player from that team's past, a la Kareem Abdul Jabbar with the lakers.....why not bring someone in to teach JR high basketball IQ?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

one of the things that really bothers me is that it doesnt seem like karl ever plays jr with carmelo- its one or the other mostly and that doesnt make sense when it is so clear that carmelo needs outside shooting around him to keep the defense from clogging the lane

am i wrong in thinking karl purposely avoids letting the 2 players learn to play together- most of us see 10+ years of them as a dynamic duo- why not play them together? just because karl doesnt like them?

ac most likely isnt among the 100 or so best pg's in the world and him as a starter is unbelieivably bogus, but there are some players that should play together- i believe every minute balkman plays should be with iverson- i think melo needs to be in the game anytime iverson is out- their games do not mix so why not make sure one is in while the other is resting- sure they will still play together 20-25 mins, but when they are each out build the linup around the other

my biggest complaint ever w this team is that imo they have never gotten players to complement melo- always talent that doesnt mix well and is more despite melo- jr imo complement carmelo's game better than anyone else on the team- i want to see them play together and if its just personal for karl that is wrong
Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Mile High Crew
In Billups We Trust

Hey, CaptainOwlClub,

I agree on everything you said because it is about the future of the team and we need the chemistry now more than ever because a lot of these power rankings and predictions are putting us on the bottom.

But the problem is, all our complaining ain't gonna help cause we know it's not going to happen. It's best that we play it out positively with the players we have now and how we can make it work.

IF we win the CHAMPIONSHIP this year, I will fully apologize to Karl and our front office here on ISH, moments after we win.

On the 5-1, you can't really see much in the preseason because the star players generally play little to none at all, so we can't put too much emphasis on it.
Mile High Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
Geandily
Local High School Star

Our record was 6-1, and the Nuggets problem the past few years has been the play of our Bench, Melo and Iverson pile on the points but the opposing bench would beat ours by 12 points every game.

This 6-1 record is HUGE for the Nuggets, I predict us to get off to a quick start as soon as Melo is back
Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

I went through the whole season schedule and evaluated each game, with a few upsets thrown in since that always happens.

I came up with 47-35, maybe 48-34.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: