Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #16
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
well lets compare sampras' competition vs. Federer.

Sampras main comp-Agassi, chang(for a bit), henman, phillipousis, hewitt, that brazilian guy, safin and some other dudes.

Federer-Roddick, hewitt, safin, nadal. More?

The reason Federer's competition seems so bad is because he doesn't let them win.

It's a different era, the pace has increased, and as a result serve and volley doesn't happen much anymore.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #17
rzp
Local High School Star

rzp has an OK reputation so far

that "brazilian guy" is called Gustavo Kuerten...hes a saibro player (3 roland garros chips )...Sampras never played against him seriously
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

federer is more dominant in tennis than tiger is in golf already.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #19
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
federer is more dominant in tennis than tiger is in golf already.

I think it's easier to dominate a sport like tennis than it is golf, because it has much less to do with consistency. Don't get me wrong, tennis takes a lot of consistency in the ability to take out an oponent, but IMO, it is harder to win a golf tournament than it is a tennis tournament. That's why you see so many more upsets in golf, because it's much harder for a great player to dominate the game. Even Tiger.

It's hard to explain what I mean. I play both sports, so I do know the games, but I don't really know how to put it. Oh well.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The reason Federer's competition seems so bad is because he doesn't let them win.

Pretty much.

There is a lot of good high level talent in men's tennis with Nadal and the other Spaniards, the Russians, Blake and Roddick, Nalbandian, Hewitt (although he's on a strange quick decline it seems) but they simply are nowhere near the level and consistency that Federer is. Men's tennis isn't bad, Roger Federer is just that damn good.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #21
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
will Sharapova be the GOAT as well? she's only 19!

no... the only reason she is winning now is because Serena doesnt want to play tennis anymore.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #22
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
Federer has been quietly dominating tennis for several years now. Nadal may be better than him on clay, but besides Nadal and noone seems to be able to beat him. He's only 23 I think.

woops title is messed up lol

Actually I like it.
"You Have Just Been Federed."

Sampras had some weaknesses, like clay, baseline, and footspeed. But he did have that booming serve and the steadiness.
Federer does not seem to have a glaring weakness. He has great shot making and placement, and is affective on all surfaces.
I'll take Federer although Sampras was a career killer.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #23
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Federer will never be the goat. Anyone who's watch him and Sampras pretty much know Sampras in his prime could smash Federer. Sampras' game was much more fluid. He has a better back hand, equal or better forearm, better serve and a wayyy better volley. Federer coasts too much in his game, but I bet if they played 10 times, Sampras would win 7.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #24
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sampras offense was a little better than feds but feds D was in another leagues from sampras. Fed is probably the second best returner in the game. I really wish they would have played at their peaks would have been fun to watch sampras serve to Fed.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

i really like Federer and think he's a helluva player. still i remain more amazed by Nadal's impressively developed skills at his young age.

personally, i feel more interested to see if Nadal can find his way to be the GOAT. moreover, i'd like to see an epic rivalry developed between Nadal and Federer. but i guess more is to merge in the tenis world.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #26
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Federer will never be the goat. Anyone who's watch him and Sampras pretty much know Sampras in his prime could smash Federer. Sampras' game was much more fluid. He has a better back hand, equal or better forearm, better serve and a wayyy better volley. Federer coasts too much in his game, but I bet if they played 10 times, Sampras would win 7.

agassi played against both sampras and federer.
he said he thought federer is the better player of the two:

"I haven't seen it before. Pete (Sampras) was great. I mean, no question. But there was a place to get to with Pete. There's no such place with Roger. I think he's the best I've ever played against."

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5908728
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #27
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Sampras offense was a little better than feds but feds D was in another leagues from sampras. Fed is probably the second best returner in the game. I really wish they would have played at their peaks would have been fun to watch sampras serve to Fed.

sampras smashed them by Aggassi, if Feds was second best, how would the results be any greater? I do agree, Federer's baseline play is very defensively sound. He also can place that ball anywhere he wants.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #28
rzp
Local High School Star

rzp has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
no... the only reason she is winning now is because Serena doesnt want to play tennis anymore.

very true...Sharapova only won Winblendon "BY DEFAULT"
and she is totaly overated...a better version of Anna Kournikova
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #29
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

Rapsfan4life has an OK reputation so far

Well, Sharpova destroyed the number one player in the world, Amelie Mauresmo. So she can play and tommorow she will have a good challenger in Justine. Federer is 25 and he should have not much difficulty facing Roddick but you never know with Roddick and his 130mph serve.
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #30
raiderfan19
Shazam!

U know sharapova and justine are playing right now right?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: