Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #61
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
no... the only reason she is winning now is because Serena doesnt want to play tennis anymore.
The only reason serena and venus even dominated tennis is that when they came out they were stronger than any of the other women. The changed the game.

Once other girls caught up (davenport, capriati, etc) they weren't all that dominant anymore. Don't get me wrong, they have talent, but they dominated because they were so much stronger than anyone at that time.

I say props to sharapova and any other normal women who can hold their own against these manish-women (this refers to all the big broads) who are dominating women's tennis these days. The fact that sharapova is actually beautiful makes it sweeter imo.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #62
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Teanett has decent reputation
Default t-mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
Yeah I didn't get that either. If there was a T-mac in tennis it would be Safin, but he's a much worse case than tmac. He had so much potential but absolutely no focus. So good but so inconsistant

t-mac would be marcelo rios, who was immensly talented, once ranked no1 but never won a grand slam. he lost focus, got injured and just quit.
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #63
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
The only reason serena and venus even dominated tennis is that when they came out they were stronger than any of the other women. The changed the game.

Once other girls caught up (davenport, capriati, etc) they weren't all that dominant anymore. Don't get me wrong, they have talent, but they dominated because they were so much stronger than anyone at that time.

I say props to sharapova and any other normal women who can hold their own against these manish-women (this refers to all the big broads) who are dominating women's tennis these days. The fact that sharapova is actually beautiful makes it sweeter imo.

sharapova "normal"? she's 6' 3''.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #64
IGGYIVERSON
High school junior varsity star

IGGYIVERSON has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow

I say props to sharapova and any other normal women who can hold their own against these manish-women (this refers to all the big broads) who are dominating women's tennis these days.

i agree.

Serena and Venus are definitely great players but the rest of the women caught up and passed them. they brought power to the women's game during the Hingis slow domination period. Once the rest of the women evolved and the new up and comers arrived, Venus and Serena were no longer the best. the top players can handle their power now and they know how to expose the Williams sisters. they havent been feared for years.

they're still good players, they just cant hang with the top 2 or 3 players anymore consistently..........whether they're motivated or not. they just dont have the skills to hang.
IGGYIVERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #65
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

federer will be the GOAT...
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #66
IGGYIVERSON

s/b a good match today. obviously all 25,000 will be on Roddick's side but will that even matter?

Federer is 10-1 against the guy. i say Federer in 4. but i hope its a 5 hour 5 setter for the ages.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #67
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
but i hope its a 5 hour 5 setter for the ages.

One thing I really hate about the US Open... the 5th set tiebreaks. It really limits the opportunities for some of those epic matches, ones that might go 13-11 in the final set in the other Grand Slams.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #68
Raptors4life
I brick open layups

Raptors4life has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Well I like to consider that the old Roddick. This is the best I've seen Roddick play in a LONG time. I still obviously expect Federer to take this, but Andy should be able to give him a decent match. Because Let's be honest, Roger just doesn't lose unless it's to a guy named Nadal or a teenager from England. He's just too good. But Roddick will hold a lot, and I expect at least one tie break, and Roddick will definately have a chance to win any of those.

sorry to point out but a teenager from scotland
Raptors4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #69
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
how can you compare federer to t-mac?
you cant say he coasts through matches just because it looks effortlessly when he plays.

federer dominates the tennis rankings as much as tiger does golf. he had something like a 56 win streak on hardcourt. won every slam except the french open.

he was in every grand slam final this year. sampras never made the finals in paris.his consecutive wimbledon titles are only matched by borg and sampras, who are more like bird and jordan if you want to stick with the cross-sport comparison.

t-mac hasn't won ****.

I think you're misinterpreting my post. I did not compare them in terms of career, just in the way they go about playing their respective games. This comparison was not about championships. Not about who has won what, who has dominated what. This about playing style. Heart. Execution. They're similar in that regard.

Federer does make the game look effortless, but Sampras made the game look perfect. He showed off his skill (though he had a stoic look most of the time), and let you know that you can't hang with him. Federer will give up a set or two. Samparas wouldn't give an inch, unless you earned it. That's why I think Sampras will always be considered better. It's why he is, atleast to me the GOAT, even if he never won on clay (which I never really considered that much of an accomplishment to begin with). Then again, Federer can't beat Nadal on clay anyway.

Once again I am not saying T-Mac's career = Federer's career. Never meant it. I meant the way they look and play on their respective courts is the same.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #70
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

Federers smashing roddick right now.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #71
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

And it does look like he's not trying when he plays. It looks like he doesnt even care and then he smashes a winner.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #72
IGGYIVERSON

Tiger is sitting in Federer's family boxseats. the only people they're missing is Lance and MJ.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #73
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I think you're misinterpreting my post. I did not compare them in terms of career, just in the way they go about playing their respective games. This comparison was not about championships. Not about who has won what, who has dominated what. This about playing style. Heart. Execution. They're similar in that regard.

Federer does make the game look effortless, but Sampras made the game look perfect. He showed off his skill (though he had a stoic look most of the time), and let you know that you can't hang with him. Federer will give up a set or two. Samparas wouldn't give an inch, unless you earned it. That's why I think Sampras will always be considered better. It's why he is, atleast to me the GOAT, even if he never won on clay (which I never really considered that much of an accomplishment to begin with). Then again, Federer can't beat Nadal on clay anyway.

Once again I am not saying T-Mac's career = Federer's career. Never meant it. I meant the way they look and play on their respective courts is the same.

you don't know what you're talking about. federer is the closest thing to perfection on a tennis court.

federer will give you a set or two???
maybe in the whole tournament.

last year he dropped two sets in flushing meadows. this year he dropped one in wimbledon, so far one in new york.

he holds the record for consecutive finals wins and is 8-1 in slam finals.

also this:

"Federer was presented the inaugural "Golden Bagel award" in 2004, a light-hearted award based on a trivial statistic given to the men's professional tennis player who serves up more "bagels" (sets won 6-0) than any other player in any given year. Federer gave out 12 "bagels" in 2004. He also served 23 "bread sticks" (6-1 sets won)."

the guy is a killer.
t-mac's heart and execution? are you crazy? maybe jordan, bird or reggie.
sampras is not more relentless than federer.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #74
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Roddick is playing with a ton of heart & spirit right now, haven't seen him look this good in a long time. Federer is having trouble handling his serve. He looks tired though, I wonder if he can keep it up.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #75
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Federer looked awful in the 2nd set. His 1st serve was off and a lot of errors. Hopefully he can turn it around in the next one, would be nice to see someone win 3 grand slams in a year again.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: