Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #91
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
God damn, Roddick has all the physical tools, he just lacks the heart. When he lost the 3rd 7-5 he basically lost all confidence in himself and belief in his ability to win.
Roddick just isn't that good of a shot maker. His decision making has clearly improved with his shots under Connors but the actual shots themselves still aren't near as good as guys like Federer, Nadal, Nalbandian or even Safin IMO. Safin is just a bigger headcase than everyone else. He struggles way too much on points off his 2nd serve... way more than a "top seed" kind of player should.

Quote:
Goran was better than Roddick. serve was better, he was smart enough to SERVE AND VOLLEY nonstop, and he wasnt an arrogant prick. instead he was just very entertaining.
Goran was an arrogant prick at times but somehow it came off in a more endearing kind of manner. But yea, you're right that he had more options on offense than Roddick. Even though Pat Rafter was my fave player at the time, it was nice to see him finally get that Wimbledon title.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 09-10-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #92
BIG FURB
Serious playground baller

BIG FURB has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYIVERSON
when Roger beat Pete i think it was actually a close match. regardless, you can't use that as a measuring stick. that's like Kobe dropping 56 on MJ when he was 40 years old. Pete was way past his prime already.
It was a close match alright, a 5 set classic. He ended pete's 31 game winning streak at Wimbledon. Not using it as a measuring stick, just saying that was the match that put him on the tennis world map.
BIG FURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #93
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

Ivanisevic was a great guy, funny. Miss him.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #94
BIG FURB

9 grandslams, the man isn't human
Old 09-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #95
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default .

i love federer's celebration.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #96
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
you don't know what you're talking about. federer is the closest thing to perfection on a tennis court.

federer will give you a set or two???
maybe in the whole tournament.

last year he dropped two sets in flushing meadows. this year he dropped one in wimbledon, so far one in new york.

he holds the record for consecutive finals wins and is 8-1 in slam finals.

also this:

"Federer was presented the inaugural "Golden Bagel award" in 2004, a light-hearted award based on a trivial statistic given to the men's professional tennis player who serves up more "bagels" (sets won 6-0) than any other player in any given year. Federer gave out 12 "bagels" in 2004. He also served 23 "bread sticks" (6-1 sets won)."

the guy is a killer.
t-mac's heart and execution? are you crazy? maybe jordan, bird or reggie.
sampras is not more relentless than federer.

I made a mistake. I meant matches rather than sets. My fault on that, but I stand by my opinion after watching tennis since I was 10. I still think Sampras will be the goat.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #97
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG FURB
I am laughing at the comparison of Federer to T-Mac. Federer is the most dominant player in the game right now. He has no weaknesses. I remember when he first served notice that he was gonna be a power in the game of tennis when he dismantled Pete at Wimbledon. He hasn't stopped dismantling great players since

Teanett comparing T-Mac to Rios is spot on. If Rios had heart he could've dominated the game like Federbot is doing. The man was a wizard with the racquet, just didn't care enough (those times he wasn't injured that is)

THe next guy to misinterpret what I said. Good job.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #98
BIG FURB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I made a mistake. I meant matches rather than sets. My fault on that, but I stand by my opinion after watching tennis since I was 10. I still think Sampras will be the goat.
Wait, you're saying Roger federer will give up a match or two?!?!?! Seriously? I'm hoping what you really meant was Federer would give up a game or two, that would make a lot more sense

Last edited by BIG FURB : 09-10-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #99
BIG FURB

Quote:
THe next guy to misinterpret what I said. Good job.
You compared Federer to T-mac, not hard to misinerpret when a comparison is that bad.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #100
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I did not indicate careers nor accomplishments, you illiterate fool.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #101
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Wait, you're saying Roger federer will give up a match or two?!?!?! Seriously? I'm hoping what you really meant was Federer would give up a game or two, that would make a lot more sense

Yeah, game, wahtever. I'm hung over as **** and don't have the will to actually battle all this.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #102
BIG FURB

Quote:
I think Federer has a higher ceiling than Sampras in terms of talent, but will never get there cause he seems to like to coast through games. Much like T-Mac (I hate using cross sports analogies), who has a seemingly unlimited potential, but is content with coasting.
This is what you said, it's not a hard statement to misinterpret. And considering that you're saying a man that has won 9 grandslams by the age of 25 won't reach his potential because you feel he coasts, it's a dumb statement. If you had said something like federer reminds you of T-mac in that he makes the game look effortless when he's playing, your statement would have made much more sense. But i'll chalk that up to you being drunk/hungover/high whatever.

Federer isn't potential, he's the finished product. Don't call me an illiterate fool because I called you out on some questionable comments. And considering you don't know the difference between a game, set or match, you're opinion on tennis doesn't mean much. For someone who's watched the game since they were 10, you clearly didn't pay too much attention

Last edited by BIG FURB : 09-10-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #103
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG FURB
This is what you said, it's not a hard statement to misinterpret. And considering that you're saying a man that has won 9 grandslams by the age of 25 won't reach his potential because you feel he coasts, it's a dumb statement. If you had said something like federer reminds you of T-mac in that he makes the game look effortless when he's playing, your statement would have made much more sense. But i'll chalk that up to you being drunk/hungover/high whatever.

Federer isn't potential, he's the finished product. Don't call me an illiterate fool because I called you out on some questionable comments. And considering you don't know the difference between a game, set or match, you're opinion on tennis doesn't mean much. For someone who's watched the game since they were 10, you clearly didn't pay too much attention

Point taken, but I can say unequivocally, straight into anyone eyes, that Federer is not better than Sampras. Sampras clearly has the better serve, volley, and better at net play. What Federer does seem to have better is natural talent that allows his game to grow at a faster rate than Pete.

And if you don't think Federer coasts through games, just look at the second set against Roddick. He could've had that if he wanted, despite Roddick's serve being on. Half the time Roddick was winning points off of Federer mistakes.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #104
New World Order
I airball my layups

New World Order has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Point taken, but I can say unequivocally, straight into anyone eyes, that Federer is not better than Sampras. Sampras clearly has the better serve, volley, and better at net play. What Federer does seem to have better is natural talent that allows his game to grow at a faster rate than Pete.

Actually Roger's hands at net are as good as Sampras'. In terms of being a true serve and volleyer, Sampras never had close to the best hands, as his hands were only so-so. But his incredible serves and forehands that set Sampras up allowed him to be a "one-and-done" type of vollyer who simply guides the ball to the open court (by the time Sampras is at the net, the play was practically over). Not a knock against Sampras but his hands, while impressive, showed me nothing that Roger doesn't do (which is impressive when Roger as an all-courter can match a serve-and-vollyer's hands).

Last edited by New World Order : 09-10-2006 at 09:27 PM.
New World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #105
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
well lets compare sampras' competition vs. Federer.

Sampras main comp-Agassi, chang(for a bit), henman, phillipousis, hewitt, that brazilian guy, safin and some other dudes.

Federer-Roddick, hewitt, safin, nadal. More?

sampras had krajicek, rafter, becker,edberg, todd martin, kafelnikov to name a few as well as a lot of huge 6'6'+ guys with enormous serves, like Goran, etc
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: