Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 10-28-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
D.J.
College superstar

D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation
Default The Nets should have kept Mookie Blaylock over Kenny Anderson

This is something that always annoyed me. Kenny Anderson had a lot of potential, but he was grossly overpaid and had a horrible attitude. Mookie Blaylock was a tenacious perimeter defender and would have benefited the Nets in the long run more so than Anderson. In Anderson's rookie season, the only players on the team that made more were Derrick Coleman and Sam Bowie. He made more than Petro, Chris Morris, and Blaylock.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Nets should have kept Mookie Blaylock over Kenny Anderson

first off, welcome to the nets area. :]

second, i'm afraid that most nets fans here (myself included) have only been nets fans since the jason kidd signing. in fact, some have only been fans for a couple years now. but maybe mozes, rusty, VCDAPTW and a couple others go back further than that.

the only player you mention i'm well familiar with was that george foreman lookalike, derrick coleman. he was unfortunately one of the many NBA examples of talent and good basketball IQ combined with mediocre drive and ambition. every team that ever had him was probably frustrated with this.

so you go back 22 years, eh? but even that was long after the iconic julius erving played for the nets. in fact, erving was probably closing in on retirement in 1986.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Rusty has decent reputation

Whilst I can't say I watched most of Kenny's or Mookie's games in Nets uniforms live, I have watched countless game tapes and video footage of them play and I consider myself fairly well researched on their Nets careers (as I do with most former players).

The main reason the Nets went for Kenny at the time was that he was a much better passer and playmaker. Mookie took a lot of risks on d, and while sometimes they paid off spectacularly; when they didn't work, he really got punished by his opponent on the score sheets in some crucial games. Apart from Kenny's first year as a Net (where he only played around 15 minutes per game I believe), he regularly averaged around 9-9.5 assists per game.

The difference between the guys' salaries, well that I agree with you on D.J. It was ridiculous. Kenny was getting between $2m and $3m per season and in the early 90's, that was a lot of money to be giving any player. In comparison, Mookie was only getting roughly between $500k and $1m.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Looten Plunder
Banned

Looten Plunder has decent reputation

Kenny helped to bring national and regional relevance to the Nets. He was a NYC point guard prodigy that brought a lot of fans to the game. He brought more value to the Nets than Mookie could.
Looten Plunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
D.J.
College superstar

D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
the only player you mention i'm well familiar with was that george foreman lookalike, derrick coleman. he was unfortunately one of the many NBA examples of talent and good basketball IQ combined with mediocre drive and ambition. every team that ever had him was probably frustrated with this.

That's what frustrated me with Coleman. Shawn Kemp would bust his ass to average 18/11 while Coleman would average 20/11 without breaking a sweat. The desire to win was never there.

Quote:
so you go back 22 years, eh? but even that was long after the iconic julius erving played for the nets. in fact, erving was probably closing in on retirement in 1986.

Yep. A long time indeed. I didn't get to watch a prime Julius Erving, but he was something.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: