Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #16
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I wasn't able to catch the game, as I was stuck at my office tonight. But this was a very good win. The rebounding is a big concern, as it could have gone either way if Philly didn't shoot terribly. Was it bad shooting or our D?

Bosh and JO were great, statistically. Did they attack or shoot a lot of jumpers?

Very good start to the year.
Our D had alot to do with it. We looked very promising on the defensive end. You can't account every miss to our D, but it was looking good tonight. I watched it on a Philly broadcast, and even they were surprised. As far as the rebounding is concerned, they owned us 21-5 in the frst quarter and from that point on it was 35-28, which was still not that good on our part but the first quarter was the big difference maker in that regard. Rebounding is still a problem but defense looked improved.

As far as how Bosh and JO played, both were kind of jumpshooters in the first quarter, but from the 2nd and on they had a good mix. JO showed us a couple of nice back to the basket moves with a nice left handed dunk towards the end of the 2nd. Bosh was a monster, grabbing boards, backing people down for a couple of nice dunks, and making clutch jumpers. I'm excited about this team.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Our D had alot to do with it. We looked very promising on the defensive end. You can't account every miss to our D, but it was looking good tonight. I watched it on a Philly broadcast, and even they were surprised. As far as the rebounding is concerned, they owned us 21-5 in the frst quarter and from that point on it was 35-28, which was still not that good on our part but the first quarter was the big difference maker in that regard. Rebounding is still a problem but defense looked improved.

As far as how Bosh and JO played, both were kind of jumpshooters in the first quarter, but from the 2nd and on they had a good mix. JO showed us a couple of nice back to the basket moves with a nice left handed dunk towards the end of the 2nd. Bosh was a monster, grabbing boards, backing people down for a couple of nice dunks, and making clutch jumpers. I'm excited about this team.


1st quarter - we gave up 21 - 5 rebounds because we were shooting 2 of 12 (meaning 10 rebounds for sixers off our misses)

2nd and 3rd quarter (when we turn the game around) - excellent defense from us, we played a zone defense that actually worked and confused their offence.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #18
antonaki1
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Yeah your right, it really was all about defence last night. It pretty much has to be all season if the Raps are to be extremely successful. We had some pretty impressive paint coverage especially in the second half. Tough and mean low block coverage, when is the last time you could say that about the Raps. They held the Sixers to 34% shooting from inside the arc. Even our daunted perimeter coverage held them to 25% from three. Sure Philly is not the strongest outside shooting team but if it weren't for the Raps giving up an incredible 23 offensive rebounds we might of held Philly to sixty points. We still need to solve our rebound weakness which still stems from last year, not enough attention being paid to marking your man once the opposition shot goes up. We allways seem to fall asleep when that happens almost like we expect Chris to get every single defensive rebound by himself. That needs to be cleaned up against the really good teams. Excellent defensive game by Roko also, his offensive game also looked strong, he set up some pretty impressive passes. Great overall win.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
Yeah your right, it really was all about defence last night. It pretty much has to be all season if the Raps are to be extremely successful. We had some pretty impressive paint coverage especially in the second half. Tough and mean low block coverage, when is the last time you could say that about the Raps. They held the Sixers to 34% shooting from inside the arc. Even our daunted perimeter coverage held them to 25% from three. Sure Philly is not the strongest outside shooting team but if it weren't for the Raps giving up an incredible 23 offensive rebounds we might of held Philly to sixty points. We still need to solve our rebound weakness which still stems from last year, not enough attention being paid to marking your man once the opposition shot goes up. We allways seem to fall asleep when that happens almost like we expect Chris to get every single defensive rebound by himself. That needs to be cleaned up against the really good teams. Excellent defensive game by Roko also, his offensive game also looked strong, he set up some pretty impressive passes. Great overall win.


only concern i had was bargnani, he has no clue on defense and offense.

seems that everytime Sixers make a run, it's because Bargs is on da floor.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Jalen5
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 494
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

AB does have 5 rebs 2 blocks and he didn't stay outside like last year, most fg miss were close to basket which he had to change his shot thx to dalembert!
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #21
macmac
Gov'n
 
macmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,427
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
only concern i had was bargnani, he has no clue on defense and offense.

seems that everytime Sixers make a run, it's because Bargs is on da floor.


What the hell are you talking about? Did you watch the game? Bargnani was on the floor when the Raps made the run with Roko in the second quarter and he finished with +10. He didn't score but looked pretty good on the defensive side, blocking two shots and grabbing five boards in 20 minutes. The biggest knock on Bargs is that he is a detriment to the team when his shot isn't falling, but yesterday he was in the flow of the game and did what was asked of him to do.
He didn't play like a first pick overall, but he played like a good rotation player. So make the same compelling argument on a different night.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,696
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

It's incredible how low our expectations are for Bargs now.....it's true that it was a positive game for him...and he had 0 pts, a few bds and blks....
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #23
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
What the hell are you talking about? Did you watch the game? Bargnani was on the floor when the Raps made the run with Roko in the second quarter and he finished with +10. He didn't score but looked pretty good on the defensive side, blocking two shots and grabbing five boards in 20 minutes. The biggest knock on Bargs is that he is a detriment to the team when his shot isn't falling, but yesterday he was in the flow of the game and did what was asked of him to do.
He didn't play like a first pick overall, but he played like a good rotation player. So make the same compelling argument on a different night.


Yes, during the first run in the 2nd quarter, bargs was on the floor but he didn't do anything. it was all graham, kapono and ukic who led the comeback. Bargs +10 came entirely from the 2nd quarter.. when we were down 4.. to plus 8

In the third quarter, O'Neal was replaced by Bargs 3 minutes into the game coz of his leg or something, sixers pulled within one.... and SMitch put O'Neal back


I am a fan of Bargs and i hope he does well.. but he lacks sense of the floor and the game.. IMO

Last edited by Sekman : 10-30-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #24
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers
 
YaoMing4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 54
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

The only stat I am concerned about is the rebounding.

Guys, we were out rebounded 56-33. That's radiculous. A part of this stat is inflated as 76ers only shot 34.5%, but whenever you give up 23 offensive glass, you'll have a hard time winning. We're just lucky that 76ers sucked and couldn't cash in on a lot of the offensive boards. Imagine of they cashed in on 10 offensive boards, we'd be screwed.

Now, had this happened last year, I wouldn't expected it since we only have 1 legitimate rebounder, Bosh. However, now there's JO, this shouldn't happen.

Other than that, I am thrilled at the victory.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #25
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMing4MVP
The only stat I am concerned about is the rebounding.

Guys, we were out rebounded 56-33. That's radiculous. A part of this stat is inflated as 76ers only shot 34.5%, but whenever you give up 23 offensive glass, you'll have a hard time winning. We're just lucky that 76ers sucked and couldn't cash in on a lot of the offensive boards. Imagine of they cashed in on 10 offensive boards, we'd be screwed.

Now, had this happened last year, I wouldn't expected it since we only have 1 legitimate rebounder, Bosh. However, now there's JO, this shouldn't happen.

Other than that, I am thrilled at the victory.

I found that O'Neal goes up for the block against every attempt inside the paint. That way, he loses out on the box-out...

But some of the offensive rebounds are due to LONG shots from the sixers, and often dalumbert takes an awkward shot and gets his own rebound.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
antonaki1
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Sam Mitchell was quoted in The Star as saying the team didn't go to the boards, i hope that was a misprint, because it's not about going to the boards. It's about each Rap checking (boxing out) your man once the shot goes up, than it doesn't matter whether the board is a short one or long one. It's about defensive accountability and not falling asleep (just because the shot went up), until the board has been secured.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #27
Trovez
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

I was very impressed with our team tonight. This is going to be the raptors most exciting season yet as we'll get further than ever before.
Trovez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #28
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
1st quarter - we gave up 21 - 5 rebounds because we were shooting 2 of 12 (meaning 10 rebounds for sixers off our misses)

2nd and 3rd quarter (when we turn the game around) - excellent defense from us, we played a zone defense that actually worked and confused their offence.
I don't really buy that we had a legit excuse to get outrebounded 21-5. Rebounds are about positioning as well as hustle/determination. If we wanted those boards in the 1st and worked hard for them, we would've had more going our way. It seemed like we worked on playing pretty solid D but felt that the job was done after the shot was missed. It's something that we need to work on, but with that said, i'm very optimistic as it's only the first game of the season.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #29
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I don't really buy that we had a legit excuse to get outrebounded 21-5. Rebounds are about positioning as well as hustle/determination. If we wanted those boards in the 1st and worked hard for them, we would've had more going our way. It seemed like we worked on playing pretty solid D but felt that the job was done after the shot was missed. It's something that we need to work on, but with that said, i'm very optimistic as it's only the first game of the season.


you are right.. the boys didn't box-out after the shot.. but stared at the ball and reacted to the rebound after it hit the rim
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #30
keantona
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
Default Re: Raps Opening Day Has Arrived!

Building a really impressive start now... Bosh and Bargnani were terrific against the Warriors...
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy