Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #16
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

"free" because of all the targetted advertising it puts on your system thanks to it scanning your email, TV shows, conversations, web browsing, etc.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

We should create an ISH OS and have all kinds of advertisements like the site does and get rich and retire and just post here full time about how much this place sucks with all the ads.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #18
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

sounds good to me, but I tried to make as OS once and it took forever. I started making my own build of Linux 5 years ago and called it the Kwajo Operating System or K-OS [chaos] for short. Not the most confidence inspiring name for an OS, but I thought it was clever. Unfortunately it was chaos to program and I gave up before a full build was complete
Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #19
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

I kind of trust Googles sense of ethics far enough to believe that they won't mess with my settings. Just imagine the backlash if they were stupid enough to do such a thing without asking the user for permission.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #20
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
... there's plenty of free operating systems out there already. Unless this GoogleOS has gaming support, it will fail.

Yeah, but the difference is Google has a lot more capital and IT savvy than a lot of Microsoft's current competition like Linux.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #21
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboloid
I kind of trust Googles sense of ethics far enough to believe that they won't mess with my settings. Just imagine the backlash if they were stupid enough to do such a thing without asking the user for permission.

Google isn'tfor users anymore. It's for share/stock holders. It's about making money now. They don't care about the user anymore. Those days are long gone. I liken it to Lebron in highschool and The NBA.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #22
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Yeah, but the difference is Google has a lot more capital and IT savvy than a lot of Microsoft's current competition like Linux.

So you'll reallychoose to use Google's "free" OS over Windows?
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #23
eboloid
Flash Gordo

Maybe I'm overestimating the value that people put on their privacy, but I sincerely hope that if Google were to do unauthorized things with users' local computers that somebody would be around to sue Google's pants off. It's not the same thing as scanning emails for keywords to display ads as they do with Gmail, as that data has to be stored on their servers and you shouldn't ever assume that anything you don't store in your own house is private.

I don't really mind if the tech only used as was outlined in the article, to send tiny 'keys' to Google, in exchange for a service, and it would be incredibly easy to detect if there was more data transferred than the minimal amounts they would need to trigger certain advertising.

The last time Google was asked by the federales to hand over search results, they didn't just bend over, so the government angle doesn't sound too good to me anyways. Besides, the snooping capabilities of the NSA et al probably aren't unlimited.

I'm not too worried. That's because I've never used a piece of Google software other than what I access through my browser. Besides, my built-in mic was broken from the point that I bought this computer.

Worry as soon as they develop something like that for your mobile phone, though. But, imagine the possibilities, free unlimited phone calls for 5 bucks a month, and every time you're calling your dopeman, half of your mobe display will be filled with an ad for High Times.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #24
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

well you could just disable your mic :)
Personally I don't like this trend of "oh let's get advertising dollars through this new fangled hair brained scheme." But its market driven. People want free/cheap stuff, so they can get it as long as they put up with the advertising.

It seems to be inevitable, the wave of the future so to say. One day we'll all wake up and find the walls of our houses displaying advertising and we'll be wondering where the hell we went wrong.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #25
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

thats actually the funniest thing to me about nascar. Those cars and suits and sport is nothing but an ad but the rednecks and hillbillys are too stupid to realize it.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #26
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

have you been to Wal-Mart lately? All their products are like that. I was there the other day hoping to find some cheap toilet paper and I saw all this crap with logos on it and then they expect people to pay for it? For example there was a set of knobs and handles for kitchen cabinets that were all Coca-Cola logos and I'm thinking, why the hell would I want a corporate logo plastered all over my kitchen, and to top it off people PAY to have the advertising all over their house? Colour me yellow, but I don't like the direction North America is heading.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
I don't like the direction North America is heading.

No doubt. That's the sole reason I moved to Iraq.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #28
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

me too, where you at? I decided on the North, thought I'd hang out with the Kurds, they know how to keep it real, they have too much Street Hunger (and well, every other kind of hunger) to let corporation put advertising everywhere.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #29
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Old 09-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #30
eboloid
Flash Gordo

My Turkish friends used to tell me that Kurdish folk ate babies. Now I realize they simply can't recognize hard core street hunger.

That's the reason why the Ottoman empire fell apart and Hedo Türkoglu is so damn ugly.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: