Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Default Opening night disaster

Big money spent in off-season 0 results come opening night. We still look like the same team from last year. Poor perimeter defense and even worse defense inside the paint. We don't have to be the best three point team in the league but we have to knock down some shots from time to time and that didn't happen enough to take the pressure off Brand who got harassed all night in the paint. We stayed in man coverage all freakin night which Toronto recognized and took complete advantage of. Mo is a horrible defensive strategist if we weren't turning the ball over than were getting picked continuously giving Toronto favorable matchups. To beat the Sixers very simple task stay in zone defense all game because nobody on the team has a jump shot worth respecting let alone an offense that can execute. Second spread the floor with shooters to draw their big men out then slash to the basket for open bucket or a foul that is all Toronto did all night very simple and easy way to beat Philly.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 10-29-2008 at 08:45 PM.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Default Re: Opening night disaster

dude it's game 1. We shot like **** all around, turned the ball over twice as many times, and they shot 10/16 from 3 while we shot 5/20. Yet we were in it until about 2 minutes left. Lighten up man, it sucks, but its only 1/82.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
dude it's game 1. We shot like **** all around, turned the ball over twice as many times, and they shot 10/16 from 3 while we shot 5/20. Yet we were in it until about 2 minutes left. Lighten up man, it sucks, but its only 1/82.
Sure we were in it all right we never lead since the 1st quarter. I know we played a bad game but we showed way to many weaknesses that has me real concerned. A bad game I can accept but all the weaknesses we showed I can't overlook. We'll see how they respond the next couple of games. I guess i'm moving to far ahead but I expected to se a better product out on the floor than what we showed.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 10-29-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ers4life
Sure we were in it all right we never lead since the 1st quarter. I know we played a bad game but we showed way to many weaknesses that has me real concerned. A bad game I can accept but all the weaknesses we showed I can't overlook. We'll see how they respond the next couple of games. I guess i'm moving to far ahead but I expected to se a better product out on the floor than what we showed.

yeah if we keep up what we did yesterday then we have big problems. But not even the worst teams shoot under 40%. What you witnessed last night is something that won't happen often this year.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
yeah if we keep up what we did yesterday then we have big problems. But not even the worst teams shoot under 40%. What you witnessed last night is something that won't happen often this year.
I agree we won't have a whole lot of horrible games like we did that particular night. The thing that bothers me is we are 2-7 against Toronto including Wednesday night and the last 2 years we played them. We have 3 more games left against Toronto and we must prove that we are a team that can compete with Boston if you can't handle Toronto, Boston is out the question. We have alot to prove we can't wait till the all-star break to get this train rolling because that may never happen. We have to get going now so like I said before we'll see how they respond the rest of October clear on into November. If we are struggling still at that point then like you said we have big problems.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 10-31-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
I agree we won't have a whole lot of horrible games like we did that particular night. The thing that bothers me is we are 2-7 against Toronto including Wednesday night and the last 2 years we played them. We have 3 more games left against Toronto and we must prove that we are a team that can compete with Boston if you can't handle Toronto, Boston is out the question. We have alot to prove we can't wait till the all-star break to get this train rolling because that may never happen. We have to get going now so like I said before we'll see how they respond the rest of October clear on into November. If we are struggling still at that point then like you said we have big problems.

we definitely need to start now if we want a good seed, which i think we can and will get. Beating Toronto in the regular year would be nice, but it won't decide on how we can compete with Boston. For all i care, we can get swept by Toronto, but if we sweep Boston i won't care. It's all about our seeding in the postseason. I think we split with Toronto and that's fine by me.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

This is why you don't hop on the first game

Sixers-116
Knicks-87

Elton Brand- 31 mins, 24 pts (12-19 fg), 14 rebs, 3 blocks
Andre Miller- 33 mins, 20 pts (8-12), 8 assists, 7 rebs
Thaddeus Young- 24 mins, 13 pts (6-10), 6 rebs

Bench sparkplugs
Willie Green- 29 mins, 18 pts (8-10 fg), 2 steals
Lou Williams- 27 mins, 15 pts (6-14), 4 assists, 4 rebs
Reggie Evans- 9 rebs in 13 mins
Marreese Speights- 6 mins, 6 pts (3-4), 3 rebs

Still not really impressed. Sixers turned the ball over 19 times (very uncharacteristic) and Iguodala only took 7 shots (making 3). I'm impressed with our big men blocking shots (Brand-3, Dalembert-4) and the 3 pt defense was much better tonight (NY 7-28 from three).
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
This is why you don't hop on the first game

Sixers-116
Knicks-87

Elton Brand- 31 mins, 24 pts (12-19 fg), 14 rebs, 3 blocks
Andre Miller- 33 mins, 20 pts (8-12), 8 assists, 7 rebs
Thaddeus Young- 24 mins, 13 pts (6-10), 6 rebs

Bench sparkplugs
Willie Green- 29 mins, 18 pts (8-10 fg), 2 steals
Lou Williams- 27 mins, 15 pts (6-14), 4 assists, 4 rebs
Reggie Evans- 9 rebs in 13 mins
Marreese Speights- 6 mins, 6 pts (3-4), 3 rebs

Still not really impressed. Sixers turned the ball over 19 times (very uncharacteristic) and Iguodala only took 7 shots (making 3). I'm impressed with our big men blocking shots (Brand-3, Dalembert-4) and the 3 pt defense was much better tonight (NY 7-28 from three).
Wow you got all the stats up and everything boy you got a real hard on over this one didn't you. You know what it wasn't Toronto, Boston, the Lakers, Houston Cleveland. So holla at me when we beat any of those teams the way we beat New York. You only talk when it's a lousy team we beat I see how you are. Since you only make arguments with stats put Iguodala's up their as well and show us all what our second highest paid player is doing.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 10-31-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Wow you got all the stats up and everything boy you got a real hard on over this one didn't you. You know what it wasn't Toronto, Boston, the Lakers, Houston Cleveland. So holla at me when we beat any of those teams the way we beat New York. You only talk when it's a lousy team we beat I see how you are. Since you only make arguments with stats put Iguodala's up their as well and show us all what our second highest paid player is doing.
I guess you didn't read the part at the end where I said "still not impressed".
Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
I guess you didn't read the part at the end where I said "still not impressed".
No I just don't believe you. You were going nuts when we stomped the s**t out of the Knicks just like the fans at the game were. Bottom line wether it's the first game of the season or the last we must establish that we can battle tougher opponents and can beat them period. I can see this team going fairly deep in the playoffs and so have alot of experts because alot said the sixers are the 3rd best team in the east. So nobody I don't care who you are or wether you agree with me or not. Will get anything from me but, high expectations because I know this team can compete and make a strong push in the playoffs. Another thing why in the hell do you watch the games online when you live in Philly.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 10-31-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
No I just don't believe you. You were going nuts when we stomped the s**t out of the Knicks just like the fans at the game were. Bottom line wether it's the first game of the season or the last we must establish that we can battle tougher opponents and can beat them period. I can see this team going fairly deep in the playoffs and so have alot of experts because alot said the sixers are the 3rd best team in the east. So nobody I don't care who you are or wether you agree with me or not. Will get anything from me but, high expectations because I know this team can compete and make a strong push in the playoffs. Another thing why in the hell do you watch the games online when you live in Philly.
What games do I watch online? I watched 2 preseason games online because they weren't televised.

And I didn't go "nuts". I listed stats from the game and then said I wasn't impressed because Iggy only took 7 shots and we turned the ball over 19 times.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
What games do I watch online? I watched 2 preseason games online because they weren't televised.

And I didn't go "nuts". I listed stats from the game and then said I wasn't impressed because Iggy only took 7 shots and we turned the ball over 19 times.
You answered my question 2 preseason games you watched I thought you watched them all online. Celebrate with a beer tonight post we beat the Knicks yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah baaaaaaaaaaaaby.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
You answered my question 2 preseason games you watched I thought you watched them all online. Celebrate with a beer tonight post we beat the Knicks yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah baaaaaaaaaaaaby.

dude are you a 76ers fan or not? Sure it's the Knicks but we f*cked their $hit and looked damn good in the process. Only FT% and TOs were our flaws. Im not worried one bit.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
dude are you a 76ers fan or not? Sure it's the Knicks but we f*cked their $hit and looked damn good in the process. Only FT% and TOs were our flaws. Im not worried one bit.
I am always a Sixers fan 24-7. I just think I rubbed people the wrong way by expressing the poor opening night debacle people kind of took it as I thought our whole season was shot which wasn't true. I just think you should be able to express how you feel regardless of if the team does well or not. It seems like if you got one person who thinks differently on these boards or has a different way of expressing how they feel than people like to gang up and push that individual to the side or just flat out go against everything that person says even though it may be the truth.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

It was the first game against a very good Toronto team. Sixers will show what they got soon enough.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: