Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #526
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Default Re: Nets 2008-2009 Pregame/In Game/Postgame Discussion

yes!
another matchup with the sixers!

and once again i get to watch the nets on widescreen instead of through binoculars on the intenet. :S
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #527
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Nets hanging tough against the champs but Detroit is spanking NYK...
Looks like were going fishing
Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #528
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Well....This was a very interesting season. That was a good fight against the C's but to we fell short....Man, feels like yesterday we supposedly shocked the Wizards on on our 1st game...
Now if we can get lucky in the draft again I will be a happy camper...Go Nets
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #529
gigantes
A piece of fluff

hollinger had an interesting take on this this season's record (credit to netsdaily):

Quote:
I think Lawrence Frank might end up being a victim of his team's schedule and early-season success in close games, and that's unfortunate. All season long, the Playoff Odds have projected the Nets to finish with a victory total in the low to mid-30s, but when the team started out 19-19, many saw New Jersey as a playoff contender. That was never going to be realistic given how road-heavy and tough-team-heavy the latter part of their slate was, but fans -- and sometimes teams -- don't tend to give those factors the weight they should.

The Nets started out 19-19, but they weren't playing like a .500-caliber team, even then, as their low season-long perch in the Power Rankings has consistently shown. To blame Frank for a "disappointing" finish is, I believe, to intentionally keep one's head in the sand and ignore the reality that the team played about as well in going 14-26 in its past 40 games as it did in going 19-19 in its first 38.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...sider -090407
Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #530
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Yeah, its been a really quick season..

We really had a good chance at this years playoffs but we didnt take advantage of games we were supposed to win. That road trip we had 2 weeks ago killed us. I can understand the losses to Cavs, Lakers, Celtics and to some extent losses to some teams that we are capable of beating such as the Heat, Bulls, or Blazers, but what I cant understand is the inconsistency of wins against teams that are straight up bad. Maybe we will lose some games to those teams here or there but when we cant even beat one then whats the point? Im talking about the Clippers, Thunder, Warriors, Knicks, Wizards, etc.

The way I see it, our team is more then capable of making the playoffs but sometimes our best players just dont show up and best players cannot do that. Sure you'll have bad games from time to time but you cannot have a consistent bad string of games. Harris and VC have done a excellent job this season but there just times were Harris jacks up random 3's thinking hes Kobe. The 1st half of the season, Harris was great. But towards the end, it looked like he was going through the motions but just not caring. It looked like he was stat padding. But Harris is a young guy and this was his first season co-leading a team. The Harris and VC chemistry worked to perfection in the beginning of the season but it started to sour as the season progressed.

VC we all know at times has a terrible string of games just because he doesnt feel like attacking the rim which drives us crazy. But then there are other times where he seems like he is the most prolific scorer in the league and he just cant be stopped. We really cant have that for a vet that leads a young team. Like I said, I dont expect VC to average 30 ppg but as a leader, he has to come the every game to set the tone. On the positive side, Vince, from day 1, has been a great vocal leader. It started from summer camp when Vince came and watched games. Not many star players do that. Then in preseason, Lopez was acting soft and Vince gave him hell.

I think what we did this season was rely on 3's to much. We started the season well by shoot the long ball so I guess Frank decided to make us a 3 pt shooting team. The 3 pters can shoot us back into a game and very well could take us out. I dont really like the idea of shooting a lot of 3's, at some point you gotta attack the rim and draw fouls.

All in all, this season was pretty good considering where "experts" ranked us.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #531
gigantes
A piece of fluff

great post, MT.

i think the thing that happened to harris and the nets is the most common thing in basketball, ie a massive army of scouts and assistant coaches are paid a lot of money to figure out how to stop the thing you do well such that you're forced to rely on plan B. and when plan B isn't working, you're basically dead meat.

the nets army of shooters in the drive and kick offense are good but they're not great. for a team that dares you to either stop the unstoppable young iverson (ie harris) or cover the shooters, our shooters are just a little too unpredictable for us to contend. although honestly, it's the crappiness of our defense that blew the playoffs for us this year, not our offense.

looking towards next season, i don't like our offensive plan and i want it to change.

but it requires lopez to hit the weights hard, because as incredibly efficient as he is at shooting, if he only gets 5-8 shots off a game then we're wasting his potential. and instead of setting up at the limits of the elbows, i want him to get a yao or shaq-like position midway between the baseline and the top of the FT line. right now other big men are pushing our man lopez away from that area, hence why i want to see him add maybe 15 lbs of muscle or so.

when that happens, as well as lopez learning how to pass out of tight situations, we will have a far more diversified and unstoppable offense IMO.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #532
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

anyone know why Harris was inactive?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #533
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
anyone know why Harris was inactive?
He re-injured his shoulder in the loss to the Pistons.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #534
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing
He re-injured his shoulder in the loss to the Pistons.
oh...thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #535
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

RECORD:34-48
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread