Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

lebron_zoom has an OK reputation so far
Default Rap

If your one of those people who going around saying "oh rap is crap, now i think im clever cause i rhymed rap with crap" then this may be the topic for you and it also may not.

Whats up with rap now a days, lil jon... all he sings about is skeetin, sweaty balls and other stuff that doesnt have meaning. I miss the old days, 2pac rapping bout the problems of the streets, grandmaster flash and the furious five displaying the threats of being thrown in jail, nas preaching about a new future for the ghettos, NWA laying down what needs to be said, and of course dr.dre cause were would we be without him.
lebron_zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Most people say rap sucks NOW. Everyone knows about the good days, but right now rap does indeed suck. When people used to ask me what my favorite kind of music is, i used to say rap. Now i just name off certain artists because i dont like rap anymore to tell the truth. It's all the same, about the same topics, and none of those are good topics exactly.

(when i say rap, i mean radio rap. i know there's lots of good underground guys still, but when rap is discussed its usually about MTV/radio rap)
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Most people say rap sucks NOW. Everyone knows about the good days, but right now rap does indeed suck. When people used to ask me what my favorite kind of music is, i used to say rap. Now i just name off certain artists because i dont like rap anymore to tell the truth. It's all the same, about the same topics, and none of those are good topics exactly.

(when i say rap, i mean radio rap. i know there's lots of good underground guys still, but when rap is discussed its usually about MTV/radio rap)

Totally to find good rap u gotta buy those cheap demo cds that guys sell along streets in new york with lil packs of weed in em, kinda ironic, best rap is the cheapest AND you get free weed
Old 09-11-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Underground is the way to go because i find that with all the rap nowadays, it is to mainstream. Example would be 50 cent....Like seriously, how manytimes can you rap about being shot.....we know already....god....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

nawsanenawmean has an OK reputation so far

This new wave of mainstream rap does suck... MAJORLY... it's so sickening I wanna ****ing scream when I hear these songs like "shoulder lean". I can only listen to oldschool rap and underground hip hop.
nawsanenawmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I used to agree with what Nas said a couple years back about just having to look at the good in each artist and there is no such thing as bad hip hop, but I agree with everyone who says mainstream rap is awful right now. Young Dro, Young Jeezy, all the songs about a certain dance or a term in the south or whatever, they all are horrible. Southern hip hop has ruined what is considered "rap" today.

I just stick to the Justus League/BBC/West Coast/good producers. Some artists that are putting out good stuff today: 9th Wonder, Khrysis, and Nicolay for producers, Dave Ghetto has a really good CD out, The Roots, Murs, Aceyalone, Talib Kweli, and not much else. It is a good time to go back and listen to some old stuff though. I have found that like artists like Group Home, OC/DITC, Too Short, and some people like that.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected poster

First Rap killed R&B, now Rap is killing itself.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Fav Rap: Slim Thug
Fav R&B: Boyz II Men
Fav Hip-Hop: Mark Morrison
Old 09-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

why must all songs revolve around these subjects nowadays

Rap used to be so much deeper.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #10
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

Thats why I never buy this new trash, its got no soul to it and the only thing that the artist is preaching is how many chicks he slept with and how much cash he got
Old 09-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

I don't get why you guys are complaining so much. I haven't heard a lot of the old school rap(Tupac, Biggie and others in the 90s), but still, rap isn't all that bad . You can still listen to songs with some nice lyrics in them, or you could bump some nice beats in the whip. Rap still sounds good to me, mainstream and underground.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

i respect jay-z and kanye. thats it.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #13
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
I don't get why you guys are complaining so much. I haven't heard a lot of the old school rap(Tupac, Biggie and others in the 90s), but still, rap isn't all that bad . You can still listen to songs with some nice lyrics in them, or you could bump some nice beats in the whip. Rap still sounds good to me, mainstream and underground.

Maybe you should listen to some 2pac, nas, etc. And listen for the meaning, youll notice a big difference from the music you hear today, it has a deeper meaning, and the beat may not be as fresh but the raps are much better i can tell you that now
Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
albertpujols
High School Varsity 6th Man

albertpujols has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
why must all songs revolve around these subjects nowadays

Rap used to be so much deeper.

Nice slideshow-

Yeah I listen to old school more than todays stuff still. SugarHill Gang, Run DMC, Cypress Hill,De la Soul and obviously Tpac and Bigs of the past. I hate friggin' gay stuff like "Candy Shop" and "In Da Club" crap.

I am not saying Rap is bad either, but it was better when it did mean much more.
albertpujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #15
T-Low
College superstar

Rap is fine these days but they are mostly industry produced. And Kanye West is kind of self-centered and in my books, that ain't the best. Music is alright and some things he says is fine but the guy thinks his **** don't stink. Jay-Z is alright in my books because he is laid back and he does his stuff. I like the old stuff. Old music brings back older tunes and makes them worth listenin while these days they bring it back and it doesn't flow. It just makes sense to go with the old stuff. Very rarely do you find rappers these days that stick to their roots...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: