Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Default We should be able to make it to the play-off this year if...

If we hadn't traded RJ away for Bobby Simmons and Yi Jianlian since the Pistons are already slipping away from the play-off race. This team still had pretty decent backcourt after replacing Kidd with Harris. Maybe our front office failed to realize that we could make a steal in drafting Brook Lopez? The starting five Boone/Sean Williams/RJ/VC/Harris with Brook Lopez will have a good chance to make the play-off.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Default Re: We should be able to make it to the play-off this year if...

No, the fact that we could get Lopez had nothing to do with the RJ deal. We simply needed to clear cap space, and it was already obvious that VC and RJ couldn't coexist.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

We can make the playoffs this year if Harris steps up, sh!t he was better last year. He needs to bring his PPG to 18 and APG to 7 if we even want to make the playoffs this year.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Well the season still early so we shouldnt be jumping to any conclusions. Remember this team had only 3 players that stayed the whole season last year. They're still getting used to playing around each other.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

I'm sorry guys, not hating... but I honestly think the Nets are at the bottom of the East this year, and maybe a couple to few to come. LeBron is seeming like a distant dream now, seeing as the ownership here has their heads pretty far up their asses and are up in arms about basically anything related to.... what's it caled... ah, THINKING.

So good luck, VC is getting older, and all you have is a collection of role players, some better than others.

No hate, jus saying.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
I'm sorry guys, not hating... but I honestly think the Nets are at the bottom of the East this year, and maybe a couple to few to come. LeBron is seeming like a distant dream now, seeing as the ownership here has their heads pretty far up their asses and are up in arms about basically anything related to.... what's it caled... ah, THINKING.

So good luck, VC is getting older, and all you have is a collection of role players, some better than others.

No hate, jus saying.

Well we Nets fans are actually aware of this fact and we don't actually have high expectation for this team till 2010s. But anyway, the Pacers don't even have a super-star at all(at least we have VC) and they still look decent recently. The 76ers don't have superstars either last year but they nearly upset the Pistons. Who knows what the Nets will become of 2-3 years later...

F*ck U Bruce Ratner, you ruined a champion team in 2004, a play-off team in 2008 and what are you gonna do next? To completely destroy this team and force it out of NBA?

Last edited by Kiddlovesnets : 11-06-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
I'm sorry guys, not hating... but I honestly think the Nets are at the bottom of the East this year, and maybe a couple to few to come.
no argument there.

Quote:
LeBron is seeming like a distant dream now, seeing as the ownership here has their heads pretty far up their asses and are up in arms about basically anything related to.... what's it caled... ah, THINKING.
not really sure what you're talking about. the biggest thing that is holding up the lejames signing is the economic crash, which makes the move to brooklyn harder.

Quote:
i'm not sure you understand what the definition of a role player is. when you're a young, promising player early in your career it's way too early to call you a "role player", and the nets have a tonne of guys like that right now. they even have nenad krstic even though he's playing overseas this year.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Man... dont you guys wish we could've done that Swat for Nate robinson trade... we really need scoring.... also...

We missed the playoffs last year... I dont think Lopez, CDR, Anderson would make us any better.. We also would have a really really weak bench because the only reason Hayes and Najera came here was for PT... Dooling i think we coulda still gotten but whatever...

I dont think we coulda been a playoff team this year either...

Also i dont think Lopez or Yi will be role players in the future catz...
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Hey, you never know. If the Nets somehow click and have stoke of luck, we could be in the playoffs. Obviously, our expectations are low, but we still support our team.

But bottom line, I was all for rebuilding. In fact, I wish it started earlier. We weren't going anywhere with the team we had, and we were still over the luxury tax. Kidd was great, but ultimately, he didn't want to play for us. And we could not get that big man to go along with the Big 3. We were one good big man away from being title contenders IMO, but we just didn't have the money to attract anyone. It just didn't work out.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

if RJ were still here, Harris would not be putting up 30+ games

relegating Harris to spot up shooter would not be good. Harris is best breaking ankles, shooting short running jumpers, using his speed to break down the defense and get the easy layup.

moreover, RJ was never a great enough outside shooter to take advantage of VC's double teaming abilities.

anyway, this current Nets team still has a -3.7 point differential and is 6-6.

UNless they improve their defense, the Nets will really go downhill fast soon.

because the Nets have not played the West very much, and besides tonight's victory over the hapless Clippers, the Nets were totally destroyed by the Suns

imagine the schedule later when the NEts have to play the Spurs, the Lakers, the Rockets, the Hornets, even the Mavericks and Trailblazers.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #11
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

As time goes on, they're going to get more comfortable in the defense that Frank is running. He changed it since last season due to the bigs they have now. Right now their dropping a bunch of points too though, so for now it's evening out. If they can figure out how to hold teams to under 98 points a game I think they'll be in a good position.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
gigantes
A piece of fluff

yes, the nets are dangerous and look like they can beat up on certain teams, but their defense still needs a lot of work. which makes them pretty-much sunk against the better teams.

players are not rotating effectively to the perimeter (perhaps because they're overcommitting elsewhere) causing the nets to have the worst 3PT shooting defense in the league. i'm sure there's man coverage problems too, although i haven't watched enough games to know where exactly. rebounds, blocks and steals- the nets are about average in all.

but so far the defense is pretty encouraging for a young team IMO. simply knowing the concepts is not enough- you have to go out there and play over and over with your teammates to make your reactions and decisions quicker and more accurate. neural pathways take time to develop. there is simply no substitute for this process, even if you're the most god-gifted defender of all time. what matters is your work ethic, although there is a ceiling for how good any one player can be.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

it's all about energy and effort.

These things come from within. but it becomes increasingly difficult to summon those two when players are fatigued, worn out, or losing.

The good thing about having youngsters, especially "high character" ones, is that they are willing to listen to authority. even if that authority is a 5'5" guy from indiana who never played pro ball before in his life.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
it's all about energy and effort.

These things come from within. but it becomes increasingly difficult to summon those two when players are fatigued, worn out, or losing.

The good thing about having youngsters, especially "high character" ones, is that they are willing to listen to authority. even if that authority is a 5'5" guy from indiana who never played pro ball before in his life.
Carter has been a leader... Our succes is in the hands of Carter, then Harris, and finally whoever desides to step up...
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Carter has been a leader... Our succes is in the hands of Carter, then Harris, and finally whoever desides to step up...

and theyve been great leaders. leading by command and example (obviously)

but I speak of overwhelming fatigue that rookies almost always go through

in college they play 30 games. in the NBA, preseason + 82 games + possible playoff games.

sure, we as fans may not appreciate that so much. we say: "so suck it up. they get paid so much anyway."

well, have any of you played basketball for a stretch nonstop? not just shooting around with friends. hard nosed basketball against the cocky kids in the park who love nothing more than to embarass you on the court. the mutual animosity leads to your playing defense like you have never played before, and working immensely hard to get an open shot.

have you ever played for hours on end, that at the end of the day, you go home feeling like your knees are going to come off? and you need to ice it? have you ever played again the next day? how fatigued would you be?

now imagine being pressure to do this all the time when losing is not an option.

that's what I mean by rookie wall

anyway, because of the lack of real expectations, the young players should be fairly at ease and not too stressed. after all, mental preparation is 90% o the game
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: