Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Bimbo Coles
High school junior varsity star

Bimbo Coles has an OK reputation so far
Default Sam Young

This is a long time coming and I thought I would share. If Sam Young chose to come out this season and if I was a GM with a top draft selection, I would have thrown the draft into disarray by taking him (outside of the top two). I just love the guy. He’s NBA ready. I’m not talking about him being a star in this league but he definitely could have played a role right away and then you just go from there. He is the type of player that could find his niche in the NBA (with the right kind of nurturing) and he would not just fall off the map.

Most of the time, it is a physical barrier between college and NBA. This guy can bang with the big boys. He is incredibly strong. He is a good shooter within two point distance and can get to the ring. His progress was phenomenal. He went from a guy with no game to a really nice, complete player. There are a number of players that I see in his game- André Iguodala (energy), Aaron McKie (the way he used his body to beat advanced defenders whilst shooting), LBJ (athleticism), and Artest (prides himself on man to man defense and strength). Obviously, he isn’t as athletic as LBJ or as great a man marker as Artest but isolated comparisons can be made.

I’m not big on drafts and more often than not- the players are too green to contribute immediately and/or are ‘projects’ that will eventually test the patience and be traded away for something more ‘now’. My instincts tell me otherwise when it comes to Sam Young but alas he may never play in the NBA (or is terribly slept on).
Bimbo Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Sam Young

The thing going against him is his age. He's 23 and he'll be 24 by the time he's drafted. Is that a reason to not draft a guy? Of course not. Just look at Al Thornton's age when he got drafted. But you don't make that guy a top 5 pick, because you save those for guys who will be your best player for the next 8-10 years.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 has decent reputation

Best fake shot in college basketball.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me

eprizzle14 has an OK reputation so far

This guy is undersized and will struggle to have a long career in the NBA. Good colloege player though.
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
Hoopladawg87
I brick open layups

Hoopladawg87 has an OK reputation so far

He had 33 and 7 the other night, and he does in fact appear to have all the tools to be a complete player on the professional level. Not to become, but to be. With his age and maturity, he can definitely step right in and contribute a nice bench role and progress with playing time and experience.
Hoopladawg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I think he is a good college player, but I think his NBA potential is limited to a backup role. I do like him as a pro because he will have to play the wing at 6-5, but he plays inside and I think some teams might like a guy like that. Teams that lack size or have big men that play outside would do well to grab him in the 2nd round.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
Bimbo Coles
High school junior varsity star

Bimbo Coles has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopladawg87
He had 33 and 7 the other night, and he does in fact appear to have all the tools to be a complete player on the professional level. Not to become, but to be. With his age and maturity, he can definitely step right in and contribute a nice bench role and progress with playing time and experience.

I agree. I love his game now (but still he keeps improving individual accepts of his game every time out). It would translate well to the NBA game.
Bimbo Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: