Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 AM   #16
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMavs31
hell no. Odom is getting up in age, and Howard will be a top ten player in the future.

Ah, Ah, Ah!
Guess what?
Odom is less than 5 months older than Howard.
ANd no way Howard will ever be a top-10 player. He may be a top-50, but he's always injured, so he doesn't deserve so.
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #17
DallasMavs31
Can barely lace up my sneakers

DallasMavs31 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark
Ah, Ah, Ah!
Guess what?
Odom is less than 5 months older than Howard.
ANd no way Howard will ever be a top-10 player. He may be a top-50, but he's always injured, so he doesn't deserve so.

wow, I thought he was 29 or something like that, I still wouldnt take that trade.
DallasMavs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #18
Shark
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMavs31
wow, I thought he was 29 or something like that, I still wouldnt take that trade.

Well, no reason to change a young core piece of a team that was in the finals.
But IMO Odom's better than Howard in many aspects, first and foremost he's not injury-prone. Of course, Howard is the better scorer, but is not as good a rebounder (even if he's good at it) and, even more important, a ballhandler and distributor.
Still, I think Howard's the better fit next to Dirk.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #19
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

Howard is not injury prone. He had one bad season last year. Give him one or two more like that before proclaiming such. His first season he played 67 games. And that number can be attributed to having Finley, Jamison and Walker on the team, not injuries. Odom has had 3 years where he missed many games due to injury. Could that be considered injury prone?
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #20
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.

After seeing I wasn't the only one who thought Odom was significantly older than Howard I went back to check the years they were drafted. Odom came out in '99 and Howard came out in '03. Odom came out after his freshman year while Howard stayed all 4 years, and I can only guess the extra years difference in there is due to their ages and when they started school.

So they are the same age but Odom has been in the league 4 years more than Howard. Now this still does bring up a point that I feel like people were addressing when mentioning the age issue. While Odom may not be declining anytime soon since he is relatively young, he is going into the 8th year of his career and (now this is pure speculation but I'd expect it to be the case more often than not) not many players make significant strides to improve their games from their 8th season on. Howard is entering his 4th season (still a good amount of room for growth), puts up comparable if not better numbers per minute, and is dirt cheap. Right now Odom has the 32nd highest salary in the NBA, JHo has the 283rd, and when his salary is renegotiated (assuming he gets what he wants in Tayshaun's contract) he'll be approx. the 71st highest paid player.

hmm... really just wanted to post the factoid about the age vs draft year confusion.... ended up getting a little carried away, sorry

Last edited by soog : 09-19-2006 at 09:35 AM.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #21
Shark
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by soog
So they are the same age but Odom has been in the league 4 years more than Howard.

Correct, and I understand that can be confusing. But, come on, age has something to do with improvement. If a 30 year player is a rookie, please don't tell me you expect major improvements in his third or fourth season. Not that Howard is 30, just to explain my point.

Quote:
While Odom may not be declining anytime soon since he is relatively young, he is going into the 8th year of his career and (now this is pure speculation but I'd expect it to be the case more often than not) not many players make significant strides to improve their games from their 8th season on.

Correct, but maybe there was a reason why GMs thought Odom was ready YEARS before Howard. And it's well-known that Odom still hasn't expressed all his talents. Just to say, last year post-ASG Odom could have been an all-star himself (just check the numbers).

Quote:
Howard is entering his 4th season (still a good amount of room for growth), puts up comparable if not better numbers per minute

As I was saying, expecting great improvement from a 26-27 player is not so automatic. For what about "better numbers"... well, that's just incorrect.
As said, Howard is the better scorer (+4.5 points with Odom's minutes) but he's not as good as RPG (-1.4) and APG (-3.2 i.e. less than half).
Of course Howard's better at steals but worse at blocks, that's mainly due to the big difference in height.
Overall, I think the edge is for Odom, who's capable of being the point of his team despite the fact he's 6'10" and rebounds like a big man.

Quote:
and is dirt cheap. Right now Odom has the 32nd highest salary in the NBA, JHo has the 283rd, and when his salary is renegotiated (assuming he gets what he wants in Tayshaun's contract) he'll be approx. the 71st highest paid player.

That's due to the fact Howard is still in his rookie contract. I don't think he will accept the same money as Prince (only Piston not to be an all-star last season): he's arguably your second best player and he will want to be payed near the maximum.
Of course he will still be cheaper than Odom, who's well-payed and already a veteran.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #22
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.

**EDIT**

looks like i was wrong, it was the DMN saying that prince is a good starting point. 5 yrs 48mil

personally i think that's a good contract, renegotiate if he later deserves more, or create a base contract of prince and add several performance based incintives. If JHo doesn't improve anything bigger than prince would be too much.

i would like to see the context in which howard's ending statement was given.

DMN on Howards Contract

Last edited by soog : 09-19-2006 at 12:05 PM.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #23
TDoug
Can barely lace up my sneakers

TDoug has an OK reputation so far

No General Manager in the NBA except Isaiah (oh, he's a had coach now)
would make that trade. Now some of the people who read InsideHoops might
think it's an idea worth considering.
TDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #24
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

No thanks.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #25
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

Hey Kobe, for once we agree on something besides not having glove in the league.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: