Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 AM   #16
bruinballer
Decent playground baller

bruinballer has an OK reputation so far

think about their fighting styles, though...

tyson is just a brawler with very little technique...

ali would dance circles around him, picking his punches, landing on rope-a-dopes and everything else..

i honestly don't see how technique could bow down to brawling.. even with tyson getting a lucky punch, it's not like ali hasn't ever been hit hard in his life...
bruinballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #17
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

tyson was a fist of bricks in his prime. knocked *****es out in first round. if you went to the fridge to grab a drink after the first bell, you would had missed everything because that sh!t would had been over by then.

with that said, i still pick ali.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #18
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Yet it was 37 fights into his career before anyone exposed Tyson. Ali was exposed as vulnerable before his 20th fight, so vulnerable that Liston jumped on the opportunity to beat up his loud mouth.

Good, point, I'm glad you brought that up. I'm also glad you brought up the fact of a respect factor. Lot's of people always buy into the legend before the knowledge. I'm not saying nobody knows boxing who's responded to this post, but I have alot of boxing enthusiast buddies who are big time followers of the heavywieght division and say Tyson hands down. Remeber, Tyson's forte was beating bigger, faster heavyweights. He also wouldn't come out swinging like Foreman did. Tyson had patience in the early rounds and waited for the right oppurtunity to strike.
I ain't saying Tyson hands down, but people are giving Ali too much credit over Tyson ( Please don't misread this statement, i give Ali all the credit in the world). If your a true boxing fan, you'd know the Buster loss was a joke and if Tyson's career wasn't spent most of his prime in jail, he could very well be the most dominant heavyweight of all time.

Last edited by hateraid : 09-13-2006 at 03:57 AM.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #19
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Ali... In fact, I'll go one further...

Will Smith (from Ali) >>> Tyson

I'm joking about Will Smith...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 AM   #20
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Ali. It'd be the Buster fight all over again, albeit Mike wasn't at his prime then.

Ali would dance, dance, and his awesome jab would keep Mike off him. Buster exposed Mike as having poor against the jab. He could weave, but he didn't move his feet much when he weaved, and the size differential would set him up for an anchor punch from Ali.

The vast majority of Tyson's wins came against big brawling heavyweights with little skill, or guys who were already defeated before they stepped in the ring (Sphinx). Ali fought against 3 of the top 10 heavyweights of all time. Tyson could get lucky with one shot of course, but Ali maybe had the best chin of all time. It'd take more then one shot.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 AM   #21
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

think rocky vs ivan drago.
Ali would outlast tyson.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #22
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ali didn't look so surperior versus aggressive sluggers Frazier and Chuvalo. He was competitive against Frazier, but lost, and though he did pretty much shut out Chuvalo, he just couldn't keep Chuvalo off of him.

If you have Ring mags and follow other press clippings, then you would know that Ali had a HUGE surge of press and public support after the Foreman fight. Prior to that neither the press nor boxing oldtimers were especially impressed by him. He was considered a loudmouth with a shaky chin when Liston took what he considered a freebie. At Ali's 66-67 peak it was acknowledged that the division was weak and nobody could be found to beat him, weak praise.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:32 AM   #23
don juan de marco
Local High School Star

don juan de marco has an OK reputation so far

im going with tyson he was a monster...i would rather jump in the ring with ali than with mike..lol i know all of u agree with me too..ali will dance and taunt and back into the ropes while jabbng you while mike tyson would try to knock ur head off then its
don juan de marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #24
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Ali took shots from a young George Foreman who hit a hundred times harder than Tyson ever did.

Ali was a better boxer and would keep Tyson on the outside with his stellar jab, nullifying Tyson's only strength, his inside power.

Tyson came into boxing at one of the weakest times, perhaps ever, in boxing history, and therefore with little skill or talent outside of his inside power.

He peaked early and declined early.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 AM   #25
don juan de marco
Local High School Star

don juan de marco has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
Ali took shots from a young George Foreman who hit a hundred times harder than Tyson ever did.

Ali was a better boxer and would keep Tyson on the outside with his stellar jab, nullifying Tyson's only strength, his inside power.

Tyson came into boxing at one of the weakest times, perhaps ever, in boxing history, and therefore with little skill or talent outside of his inside power.

He peaked early and declined early.

mike was stronger than george foreman..like i said who u rather jump in the ring with
don juan de marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #26
KB24
Kids at the park dunk on me

KB24 has an OK reputation so far

Im a huge Tyson fan, but Ali would win imo.
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #27
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputation
Default ...

People tend to forget how much technique Tyson had back in the Cus days. He has the power, but he also has the head movement, quick feet, etc to go along with it. He could box as well as punch. It's a fact people overlook.

As far as Ali vs. Tyson, I'm going with Tyson.

However, that's only if Cus & Rooney are with him. Without those dudes you seen what happened to Tyson. Cus was his rock, his father figure & when he died Tyson just...lost his edge I suppose.

Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #28
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Ali would kick Tyson's monkey ass....And Ali would even call it before the fight even happened..

"I'll whupp his monkey ass in 6"

Its not even close...Ali would would embarass mike and have him biting at his ears....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ali lost to Frazier. I guess people forgot that? I guess people also dont know nor have a clue about Tyson in his PRIME. When he was mentally stable (thanks to the people around him) and was perfect on offense and defense.

Its a good debate. Anyone who acts like Ali was far superior and this is a no brainer doesnt know much about boxing. And Ali stole Sugar Ray Robinson whole style. He admits to it because Sugar was his fav boxer ever and he spent lots of time watching Sugar train, spar. I know Ali is this icon but a lot of that has to do with his personality, charisma and also political stances, views on things. He had both inside and outside the ring impact where most boxers dont. It would be a good fight indeed and I have Ali coming out victorius. Ali had all the tools plus the size to negate Tyson. But if Ali did the rope a dope crap and Tyson caught him? Curtains.

The way Lennox beat Tyson is how Ali would beat him. Even if it was a prime Tyson...Ali would box his ears off to take away Tyson's power.

Quote:

No he didnt. Dont enter this topic throwing out falsehoods.

Last edited by GOBB : 09-13-2006 at 08:58 AM.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #30
Laker Logic
I hit open 5-footers

Laker Logic has decent reputationLaker Logic has decent reputation

There's absolutely no reason to believe, outside of a punchers chance, that Tyson could see Ali in the ring. Ali had every skill and attribute that we've seen could frustrate Tyson and negate his punching power. Ali was a FAR superior boxer than the best boxers Tyson ever faced (Lewis and Holyfield), and both of them owned Tyson.

We all saw in the Buster Douglas fight how much intimidation was a part of Tyson's dominance, but Ali would not have feared Tyson any more than he feared Liston, Frazier or Foreman, who were three of the most feared fighters ever.

Ali's jab, footwork and power (not equal to Tyson's, but still impressive) would all have frustrated Tyson and kept him from closing often enough to go to work and tee off the way he liked to.

This is no contest - I think Frazier was a tougher opponent for Ali than Tyson was, because Frazier could TAKE punishment as well as dish it out.
Laker Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: