Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #31
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker Logic
There's absolutely no reason to believe, outside of a punchers chance, that Tyson could see Ali in the ring. Ali had every skill and attribute that we've seen could frustrate Tyson and negate his punching power. Ali was a FAR superior boxer than the best boxers Tyson ever faced (Lewis and Holyfield), and both of them owned Tyson.

Tyson wasnt in his prime

Quote:
We all saw in the Buster Douglas fight how much intimidation was a part of Tyson's dominance, but Ali would not have feared Tyson any more than he feared Liston, Frazier or Foreman, who were three of the most feared fighters ever.

Yes but Tyson didnt train and took that fight for granted. If he had Cus/Rooney by his side in his corner and not King and his henchman things could have went different. That loss was an upset in the biggest of proportions.

Buster was 40-1

Quote:
Ali's jab, footwork and power (not equal to Tyson's, but still impressive) would all have frustrated Tyson and kept him from closing often enough to go to work and tee off the way he liked to.

This is no contest - I think Frazier was a tougher opponent for Ali than Tyson was, because Frazier could TAKE punishment as well as dish it out.

And Tyson couldnt????

You're tripping, I dont think you watched much of Tyson's earlier years where he was dominant offensively and defensively. His fierce combos and defense was what scared the crap out of opponents. He was accurate as hell with one of boxings best power shots. Tyson couldnt dish it out? Friggin hilarious in the worst way considering the only REASON people give Tyson any chance of winning (recently vs lennox and guys of that nature) was SOLELY on his power. He had the ability to KO you with that shot if landed cleanly. Problem was he could never land it cleanly nor set it up. He threw it but it missed either its target or completely. A prime Tyson had the accuracy to reel off a left hook, right up and uppercut in the snap of a finger with ferocious velocity to boot.

No contest? Yeah ok.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #32
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Greatest Fighting Machine Ever

JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #33
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hopefully this is not taken personally, but, GoBB and bigkingsfan are the only two people that entered this thread with any real accurate history of these two boxers careers. The assumption of Ali owning Tyson was mainly on the reputation/legend of Ali as opposed to any substantial evidence.
The only conclusion that I have here is that people are underestimating Tyson's ability to knockout anybody in the history of heavyweight boxing. Underestimating Tyson's patience, defense, knockout power, ability to absorb hits, stamina (6 of Tyson's fights went the distance and he won).
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #34
Laker Logic
I hit open 5-footers

Laker Logic has decent reputationLaker Logic has decent reputation
Default .

Quote:
Tyson wasnt in his prime

When exactly was Tyson's prime, and what great fighters did he defeat when he was in it? Tyson's career and record was built mostly off of tomato cans and over-the-hill fighters.

In the first five years of his career, Ali had knocked out a prime Sonny Liston TWICE (taking the belt from him the first time and retaining the belt the second) and also defended his belt against Floyd Patterson. (I'll leave out him destroying Archie Moore because Moore was 48 at the time, although he was still an active and respected fighter).

In Tyson's first five years (if you leave out him beating a 38-year old Holmes who came out of retirement for the fight) he beat Trevor Berbick for the belt, defended it against "legends" like Tony Tucker, Tyrell Biggs and Carl Williams, AND got his ass handed to him by Buster Douglas.

Quote:
Buster was 40-1

Yeah, but like I said, Tyson was 40-1 against WHO? Nobody (except an over-the-hill Holmes) whose name is mentioned with the greats, that's who.

Quote:
Tyson couldnt dish it out? Friggin hilarious in the worst way considering the only REASON people give Tyson any chance of winning (recently vs lennox and guys of that nature) was SOLELY on his power. He had the ability to KO you with that shot if landed cleanly. Problem was he could never land it cleanly nor set it up. He threw it but it missed either its target or completely. A prime Tyson had the accuracy to reel off a left hook, right up and uppercut in the snap of a finger with ferocious velocity to boot.

Easy tiger, you're reading too fast. I was questioning Tyson's ability to TAKE punishment, not dish it out. That's the difference between Frazier and Tyson, Frazier had a chin as well as great offense. Tyson was dominant defensively, but every time someone had the skill and courage to lay hands on him, Tyson folded up like a cheap suit.
Laker Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #35
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board

Quote:
Ali took shots from a young George Foreman who hit a hundred times harder than Tyson ever did.

No he didn't. I watched the Forman fight live and also have it on tape. No way did he hit harder than Tyson and definitely wasn't as quick.

Ali after his 3 years off wasn't the same fighter. Other than the Foreman fight he didn't have many strong victories. He lost to Norton once and many believe he should have lost twice but lucked out on the decision in one fight.

Tyson at 21 was a destroyer. Ali at 21 was a dancer/boxer. He became more stationary after his long layoff.

I don't know who I would pick but Ali wouldn't be able to handle Tyson like he did Liston and Foreman. Tyson was basically a bigger, stronger version of Frazier who gave Ali trouble.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #36
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ali bouts was exposed in regardless of whether he came out on top: Banks, Jones, Cooper 1, Liston 1, Bonavena, Frazier 1/3, Norton 1-3, Foreman, Wepner, Evangelista, Young, Lyle, Young, Shavers, Spinks, Holmes, Berbick. Years 62-81, 19 yrs.

Ali was dominant during a short phase of 66-67 against weak comp. It don't compare to Tyson's first 5 yrs of domination where there was no controversy.

At Ali's best, nobody was calling him the best ever. At Tyson's best, many if not most old timers were saying he was the best they had ever seen. Maybe it was some extra hype of modern media hungry for a champ after the dull Holmes reign, but the fans flocked to Tyson like no other fighter in his prime.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #37
riverrat
Can barely lace up my sneakers

riverrat has no real reputation yet.

On Lennox Lewis

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"

"My main objective is to be professional but to kill him."

"I want to rip out his heart and feed it to him [Lennox Lewis]. I want to kill people. I want to rip their stomachs out and eat their children."
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #38
Laker Logic
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Ali was dominant during a short phase of 66-67 against weak comp. It don't compare to Tyson's first 5 yrs of domination where there was no controversy.

At Ali's best, nobody was calling him the best ever. At Tyson's best, many if not most old timers were saying he was the best they had ever seen. Maybe it was some extra hype of modern media hungry for a champ after the dull Holmes reign, but the fans flocked to Tyson like no other fighter in his prime.

It's harder to be absolutely dominant when you're fighting in the best heavyweight era ever, as Ali did. Far harder than when you're fighting in an era where a glorified middleweight like Holyfield can own a "dominant" Tyson twice. Ali fought the best, EVER, and there isn't a single heavyweight of his time/prime who can say they got the best of him, all things considered. He avenged every loss, settled the question EVERY time it was raised, about who was the better fighter, and he always came out on top. Again, against the BEST. Liston. Patterson. Frazier. Norton. There isn't a SINGLE fighter Tyson faced in his prime who deserves mention all-time-rep-wise, on a list like that.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #39
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Why would a boxer be promoted to the best ever so suddenly and so obviously past his prime? That is the mystery of Ali. It is very hard for me to look at all the below average performances against weak contenders at an age when Ali was supposed to be considered the best heavy ever. How long would Wepner or Evanglista last against Tyson in his early 30s? I can forgive a Young fight somewhat since the guy had a negative style that made most look bad, but good boxers are supposed to be able to handle a Young.

Let's look at young Ali struggling against Banks, Jones, and Cooper. I doubt young Tyson would even spend 2 rounds dispatching those 3. Would a 36 yr old diminished Tyson ever allow Leon Spinks to beat them? I seriously doubt it.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #40
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker Logic
When exactly was Tyson's prime, and what great fighters did he defeat when he was in it? Tyson's career and record was built mostly off of tomato cans and over-the-hill fighters.

In the first five years of his career, Ali had knocked out a prime Sonny Liston TWICE (taking the belt from him the first time and retaining the belt the second) and also defended his belt against Floyd Patterson. (I'll leave out him destroying Archie Moore because Moore was 48 at the time, although he was still an active and respected fighter).

Its nice to hear who Ali beat and who Tyson did. You simply cant do that my man. Why? Ali was in an era where the Heavyweights were GREAT. Like Roy Jones Jr, Tyson came in a period where the competition was limited and due to being incarcerated he missed out on most of the fighters that would have been good comp for him to go up against. So its VERY unfair to sit here and point at who Ali beat. If Ali didnt fight half the guys he did if not 75% then how does that affect his skills? Think about that because you dont lose skills because you dont fight great competition. And thats not to discredit a fighter who fought skilled boxers, tough opponents as competition so try not to look at it that way. Just hear what I'm saying.

Tyson beating tomato cans doesnt have much of an impact on a era vs era matchup unless we are ranking fighters. But we're not to my knowledge. We're taking 2 fighters in thier prime, putting them in a ring and determining the outcome. Who each fought? I dont want to say irrelevant but it cant be held against a fighter. You want to say Ali faced a guy similar to Tyson (Sonny Liston) and beat him? Cool. But who ali beat I really dont look it.

I look at the individual skills, the strengths, weaknesses of these two fighters then conclude who had the better chance to come out victorious. And for me it would be Ali because he was an excellant boxer with a good size, reach where he had the ability to negate the power of Tyson. But has Ali ever faced somone with similar speed, agression, power combined with accuracy? Would Ali have tried to rope a dope or get careless in the ring? Would he try to slug it out in the heat of the moment or stick to the gameplan? Legit questions where we honestly dont know and go by assumption. Which is the fun part but me pointing out some of these things? Shows that to say Ali, no contest just cant be done here.

Also we must look at Tyson when he was at his very best and that is pinpointed to the men in his corner who controlled Tyson's mindset. Guys like Cus, Rooney, Atlas were integral in Tyson being a fierce and skilled, yes skilled boxer. Sure he basically intimidated most of his comp and won half the fight walkin to the ring but to watch him work was magical. To be great you have to have a great work ethic, attitude, preparation, focus outside the ring. Mike didnt. He was fed how much money he could make, was worth, and the fame got to his head. He had no one to ground him and reel him in. Get him focused because he would have wasted his talents/skills if he continued...and like we saw that is what happened. But one thing that NEVER left Tsyson? His devastating KO blow. Please dont underestimate that. Ali wasnt someone who avoided shots every fight. He often caught them. Caught a mean one by Philly's own Smokin Joe and got floored. Tyson imo hit harder and threw better combinations in his prime then Joe.

Quote:
Easy tiger, you're reading too fast. I was questioning Tyson's ability to TAKE punishment, not dish it out. That's the difference between Frazier and Tyson, Frazier had a chin as well as great offense. Tyson was dominant defensively, but every time someone had the skill and courage to lay hands on him, Tyson folded up like a cheap suit.

Not really, Tyson took shots in Buster Douglas fight, what happened was his eye begain to close and he spent the rest of the fight trying to protect it. Thats how he got KO'ed covering up and Buster chopped thru it with an uppercut flush on the chin forcing Tyson to drop his guard and well what we saw was total devastation after that. But even before that if you watch that round Tyson ate too much leather because he spent more time worrying about his eye. I'll see if i can find that fight maybe they got tape. We can watch how Tyson was basically worn down up until that moment. I dont think Joe could have sustained the punishment. Hooks, uppercuts, rabbit punches onto of Buster learning his huge frame on you to take ur legs away. Props to Buster but this wasnt some lucky shot he got Mike with. This was a compilation of shots and when he landed that uppercut the last shot was clean on the jaw. Put Mike on his ass...still think the count was suspect tho. Mike had a chin. Stop the madness with that one.

I'd say 85-91 was Tyson prime years. Mike had a sweet package that in his prime would have been able to hang with the greats of boxing without a doubt. And I'm talkin prime Mike not Mike career as a Heavy which i dont rank very highly nor do i think anyone should. Believe it or not I got Lennox Lewis ranked higher than Mike. But talkin specifically primes? Mike could hang with your Ali, your Holmes, Foremans. To say it be no contest is tototally ignore, overlook or underestimate the skills he had. Guy has it all man, flawless technique. A throwback boxer who dominated with power and brute force.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #41
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board

Quote:
Why would a boxer be promoted to the best ever so suddenly and so obviously past his prime? That is the mystery of Ali.

It isn't a mystery. It was the Foreman fight pure and simple. There was so much hype about that fight and Ali was seen as such a underdog (odd that the greatest fighter of all time would be a huge underdog) that the victory put Ali on a different level in the minds of many.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #42
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Tyson's career and record was built mostly off of tomato cans and over-the-hill fighters

that Tyson completely destroyed. He didn't let guys hang around like Ali did.

and a lot of those so called tomato cans weren't seen as such until they fought Tyson.

A fight between Tyson (around the time of the Spinks fight) against Ali (before his layoff) would be a classic.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #43
Laker Logic
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Its nice to hear who Ali beat and who Tyson did. You simply cant do that my man. Why? Ali was in an era where the Heavyweights were GREAT. Like Roy Jones Jr, Tyson came in a period where the competition was limited and due to being incarcerated he missed out on most of the fighters that would have been good comp for him to go up against.

Roy Jones is a good comparison, I'm glad you brought him up. Like Tyson, Jones came along in a relatively weak era, so all of his accomplishments have to be measured with that in mind. Yes he was dominant, but no he didn't dominate the best. Doesn't mean you write him off and say he was a bum, but it's a legitimate point to make when trying to evaluate him. There's no such question about how Ali would have performed against the best, because he fought the best. All of them. More than once. You don't have to wonder how he'd have fared against bigger opponents, harder hitters, other dominant fighters in their prime, because he fought and beat all of those. That means it's more of a stretch to say Tyson beats Ali head up than it is to say the reverse. Ali's body of work (including quality of opponents) is more impressive, while Tyson never even beat anyone on the level of a Frazier, Foreman or other fighters who were great, but who still rank below Ali.

Quote:
So its VERY unfair to sit here and point at who Ali beat. If Ali didnt fight half the guys he did if not 75% then how does that affect his skills? Think about that because you dont lose skills because you dont fight great competition. And thats not to discredit a fighter who fought skilled boxers, tough opponents as competition so try not to look at it that way. Just hear what I'm saying.

I don't see how it's unfair to note who Ali beat. I mean, he did beat them. I'm not saying you lose skills if you don't fight great competition. I'm saying less-than-great competition can make less-than-great skills look like more than what they are. Ali's record against other great fighters gives me more confidence that he could beat Tyson than Tyson's record against not-great opponents convinces me that he could beat an Ali.

Quote:
I look at the individual skills, the strengths, weaknesses of these two fighters then conclude who had the better chance to come out victorious.

The only way to test individual skills, strenghts, weaknesses is against opponents, otherwise we could name champions based on who shadowboxed the best. Ali demonstrated that his skills were effective against great fighters. All time greats weren't able to thwart him, stop him, frustrate him or dominate him with any regularity. Not only did second-tier fighters like Holyfield and Lewis thwart, stop, frustrate and dominate Tyson, but a complete nobody like Buster Douglas did. That's a direct reflection of Tyson's skill, of how strong his strengths were and how weak his weaknesses were. You can say it wasn't in his prime, but I'll ask again, what level of competition did he demonstrate his skills against in his prime?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #44
Laker Logic
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
It was the Foreman fight pure and simple. There was so much hype about that fight and Ali was seen as such a underdog (odd that the greatest fighter of all time would be a huge underdog) that the victory put Ali on a different level in the minds of many.

It's not odd that the GOAT was a huge underdog, what it shows is that people didn't fully start to appreciate how good Ali was until after the Foreman fight, remember that there were people who thought he was risking his life to fight Foreman.

Quote:
[tomato cans] that Tyson completely destroyed. He didn't let guys hang around like Ali did.

So let me get this straight...Tyson gets more credit for destroying tomato cans and struggling against good-but-not-great fighters than Ali does for cruising against lesser opponents but consistently raising his game and fighting 8-10 legendary fights (and winning most) against other all time greats? That makes perfect nonsense.

Quote:
and a lot of those so called tomato cans weren't seen as such until they fought Tyson.

Same can be said for many fighters Ali beat whose names nobody remembers anymore. Remember that the whole heavyweight division was far tougher back then.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #45
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

He destroyed Spinks. 2nd tier Holy/Lennox? You're trippin. Tyson was not only past his prime but these two boxers were better. Especially Lennox who was on a high. Why are those fights factored when Tyson wasnt in his prime at the time? He was just a fighter with a power punch that people gambled on. His defense was weak, footspeed was shot, accuracy was bad and he couldnt throw a combination if you controlled him using an Xbox controller. All he had was power and lacked the stamina at the time to go past 5 which is why his entire game plan was to get you out early and opposition gameplan was to outbox him into the later rounds because he fatigues, gets frustrated and sloppy.

Who Tyson/Ali fought is good for ranking them but not good for prime vs prime competition because Tyson had the skills and the comp he faced isnt gonna hurt him nor should it. You beat who you face. Bulls dynasty nor MJ loses any value for coming at a period where they beat up on good but not great teams. Lakers, dynasty, Celtics dynasty all have claims to beating far better competition than the Bulls have.

Ali lost to Frazier. Frazier is a similar boxer to Tyson. Only Tyson in his prime was more complete, much better. But Ali prime years was late 60's anyway. He fought Smokin after much like Tyson career after the bing.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: