Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #46
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

Roy Jones was probably the best non-heavyweight I ever saw. He just had the bad luck to be fighting weak fighters in his prime, similar to Tyson. He didn't have the competition around that guys like Leonard, Hearns and Hagler did.

I would also put Duran up there with those guys but he was a little before my time so I really didn't see him in his prime. But from what I understand he was scary.

I just don't think you should penalize someone who came up at a time when competition was weak.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #47
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Can anybody list one controversial fight that Tyson won? I can think of over a half dozen controversial fights Ali won from pre to post prime. Moreover, Ali lost two tough fights at or near his prime. Maybe some of you ain't got the email yet, but Ali, like Tyson, is beatable.

So, again, suddenly after Foreman, Ali shoots way up to be talked as the best ever. Is the criteria for greatness getting the crap kicked out of you and then pulling out the fight? Maybe the Foreman upgrade is just part of a delayed reaction to upsetting Liston, or maybe the heroic effort against Frazier. I just find Ali's career to be very inconsistant for such great acclaim.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #48
riverrat
Can barely lace up my sneakers

This is the best boxer that ever lived.....
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: