Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 11-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Wake up! Heat playing good so far!

Last season when they were losing.... we didn't get enough people reminding us that. Now that we have some young talented prospects that have been playing pretty good so far... the Heat forum is a ghost town. Wake up people!

So far I like the defensive intensity of the team so far... the only major problem I'm seeing is no consistent "go-to" scorer when Wade is not in the game. Whenever he gets in foul trouble and its a close game... the Heat turns into a jump shooting team.

Beasley & Marion have not been as dominant on the offensive end as I would like. We need to get a secondary scorer to pair with Dwayne Wade. Hopefully Marbury or Tinsley if bought out? Possibly some type of trade for a capable big like Eddy Curry or Brad Miller? Who knows...
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
MrEncinas
Local High School Star

MrEncinas has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Wake up! Heat playing good so far!

Don't think we need to baby Beasley offensively. With Wade off the court Beasley needs to become the go-to scorer. Have him play more aggressively and get to the line. He's already a very good FT shooter and we need to take advantage with that. Beasley looks way to hesitate at times and that's not too bad with Wade in the game, but when he's out he needs to attack. Yes he'll struggle but he's a rookie and that's to be expected. We shouldn't baby him because the kid has the tools to be a good scorer even as a rookie. I know he still has a long way to go but even with that he's still our second best offensive player.
MrEncinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

I agree completely. I think sometimes he's worried about the coach pulling him if he's not doing to well.

We've already seen it where Beasley might come out and make a few defensive mistakes and coach will sit him on the bench. I think he should leave him in, let him play through the mistakes. Defense can only get better with time. The other fault I've been seeing is often when Beasley gets the ball, he just puts his head down and initiates his offensive moves. He gets to the rim and I often see two-three guys surrounding him, he needs to look for the open pass and not get offensive fouls. I also think they should work more of the pick & roll with Wade since Beasley can hit the open jumper.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEncinas
Don't think we need to baby Beasley offensively. With Wade off the court Beasley needs to become the go-to scorer. Have him play more aggressively and get to the line. He's already a very good FT shooter and we need to take advantage with that. Beasley looks way to hesitate at times and that's not too bad with Wade in the game, but when he's out he needs to attack. Yes he'll struggle but he's a rookie and that's to be expected. We shouldn't baby him because the kid has the tools to be a good scorer even as a rookie. I know he still has a long way to go but even with that he's still our second best offensive player.

I would agree that with Wade on the bench Beasley should be reminded he is then the team's first option. Too often, whether due to foul trouble or poor defense, he is on the bench near the end of the game. I would like to see more of him and Wade together in those situations.
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Still no secondary scorer for Wade.

We really, really, really need a Center.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
heat_LE
I airball my layups

heat_LE has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Still no secondary scorer for Wade.

We really, really, really need a Center.

ah no we dont..;)

haslem is doin a great job, lets see what magloire has left to offer...anthony might still grow up to be a real nba player and the possibility of mourning coming still is out there...

with a 7-6 start, what more could you ask for...let this group work it out.....once magloire and jones get healthy the picture will change a lil bit and then we'll see...

right now i dont think we need to add anybody.....
heat_LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
MrEncinas
Local High School Star

MrEncinas has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat_LE
ah no we dont..;)

haslem is doin a great job, lets see what magloire has left to offer...anthony might still grow up to be a real nba player and the possibility of mourning coming still is out there...

with a 7-6 start, what more could you ask for...let this group work it out.....once magloire and jones get healthy the picture will change a lil bit and then we'll see...

right now i dont think we need to add anybody.....
As much as a love Haslem he is not the answer at center. We desperately need a legit big down low to provide defense and rebounding. Just look at our loses and you can see how not having size has contributed heavily. Those games against the Raptors we're sickening to watch. With a legitimate center and the continued improvement of Beasley and Chalmers, and the shooting of Quinn, Cook, and James Jones, and Haslem and Anthony (want to put Diawara but haven't seen that work consistently this year) providing energy and defense off the bench

PG - Chalmers/Quinn/Banks
SG - Wade/Cook/Diawara
SF - Jones/Diawara/Wright
PF - Beasley/Haslem
C - LEGIT DEFENSIVE CENTER/Haslem/Anthony/Magloire/Blount

I left out Marion because I just don't see how we get our center with him still on the roster.

Last edited by MrEncinas : 11-23-2008 at 10:40 AM.
MrEncinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

I don't think anyone will deny what a great job Haslem has been doing. But as we've all seen, against teams with height (Portland, Toronto, New York, New Jersey) we've gotten out rebounded.

I still feel we can keep Marion (atleast until the end of the season) and pickup a better backup C of PF. We can always trade a scrub for a better scrub, especially if we include a 2nd rounder.

Blount $8M @ 2yrs for Eddy Curry $9M @ 2yrs
Blount $8M @ 2yrs for Darko Milicic $7.5M @ 2yrs
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
heat_LE
I airball my layups

heat_LE has an OK reputation so far

agree with the above, still i wanna see what magloire can bring to the table and if mourning comes around for one more go....

( look at the last game, haslem surely had his problems, but the loss against the rockets had more to do with not being able to score in the last minutes...wade had an off night, otherwise this could have been easily also be a win - even with haslem playing yao... )
heat_LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I don't think anyone will deny what a great job Haslem has been doing. But as we've all seen, against teams with height (Portland, Toronto, New York, New Jersey) we've gotten out rebounded.

I still feel we can keep Marion (atleast until the end of the season) and pickup a better backup C of PF. We can always trade a scrub for a better scrub, especially if we include a 2nd rounder.

Blount $8M @ 2yrs for Eddy Curry $9M @ 2yrs
Blount $8M @ 2yrs for Darko Milicic $7.5M @ 2yrs

Eddy Curry is a worthless lazy slug. Don't know what good he'll do the team unless he's motivated. Chris Kaman iz on the block. Might trade for him. Brings interior D, decent post game. Area where the Heat are weak right now.

B.T.W D-Wade G.O.A.T
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEncinas
As much as a love Haslem he is not the answer at center. We desperately need a legit big down low to provide defense and rebounding. Just look at our loses and you can see how not having size has contributed heavily. Those games against the Raptors we're sickening to watch. With a legitimate center and the continued improvement of Beasley and Chalmers, and the shooting of Quinn, Cook, and James Jones, and Haslem and Anthony (want to put Diawara but haven't seen that work consistently this year) providing energy and defense off the bench

PG - Chalmers/Quinn/Banks
SG - Wade/Cook/Diawara
SF - Jones/Diawara/Wright
PF - Beasley/Haslem
C - LEGIT DEFENSIVE CENTER/Haslem/Anthony/Magloire/Blount

I left out Marion because I just don't see how we get our center with him still on the roster.

The point is though that Miami needs a decent center. If available they would certainly make a move. To swap one Mark Blount type center for another or acquire some project center unlikely to really contribute anything on the other hand...

Haslem and Anthony (with Magloire coming back) makes more sense.

So it should depend on what is actually out there.
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here

I personally think we need to incorporate Beasley and Marion into are offense to take the load off Dwayne Wade because at the moment theres too much pressure on him to take over every game. I personally believe that Beasley or chambers has the potential to be Rookie of the year if the play bigger roles on the team. If those two are incorporated into the offense I'd put Miami above Houston.
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Well right now for whatever reason, Spoelstra seems to be high strung on Joel Anthony. Yes he does provide good defense, but he has absolutely nothing to offer on the offensive end. IMO, here's how I rate it out...

Beasley:
Offensive skill - 8/10
Defensive skill - 3/10

Anthony:
Offensive skill - 1/10
Defensive skill - 7/10

So in all Beasley is still >>>> Anthony. So I don't see why he's choosing to play him off the bench. I'd rather speed Beasley development along faster by putting him in the starting lineup. If Wade leaves in 2010, Beasley will be the new go-to scorer, and its not like we are going to be title contenders anyway even if we do make the playoffs.

Beasley makes Haslem, and the team in general that much more effective on the offensive end also, because teams are not able to trap and double team as much.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Well right now for whatever reason, Spoelstra seems to be high strung on Joel Anthony. Yes he does provide good defense, but he has absolutely nothing to offer on the offensive end. IMO, here's how I rate it out...

Beasley:
Offensive skill - 8/10
Defensive skill - 3/10

Anthony:
Offensive skill - 1/10
Defensive skill - 7/10

So in all Beasley is still >>>> Anthony. So I don't see why he's choosing to play him off the bench. I'd rather speed Beasley development along faster by putting him in the starting lineup. If Wade leaves in 2010, Beasley will be the new go-to scorer, and its not like we are going to be title contenders anyway even if we do make the playoffs.

Beasley makes Haslem, and the team in general that much more effective on the offensive end also, because teams are not able to trap and double team as much.

IMO, the only reason for that is lack of size. If he starts Beasley, our interior defense is weak and Haslem's our starting C which causes mismatches. Joel's a presence in the paint and a good help defender. But like you said, he's not an offensive player. Beasley on the other hand is pretty much the opposite.
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Yeah, but the whole point I was trying to make was Anthony's defensive ability (his strongpoint) isn't even as good as Beasley's offensive ability (his strongpoint).

I can't even give Anthony an 8 in defense because he's a pretty poor rebounder. Beasley (not known for denfense or always staying close to the basket) in 14 games as a starter averaged 6 rebounds per game... Anthony in his 7 games as a starter is only averaging 4.

Also, Anthony can't even catch the ball within 5 feet and jump hook/dunk comfortably, while Beasley got a couple blocks and hustle rebounds in his time as a starter. So in all, Beasley's a much more comfortable as a defender, and looks to have alot more defensive potential, than Joel looks comfortable on the offensive end, and has offensive potential.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: