Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Rod Thorn's draft history

i propose that rod thorn is a superior draft evaluator, and not because he's the guy who drafted michael jordan. let's face it- drafting is by no means a secure business, borne out by the number of teams who regularly squander lottery picks or squander entire drafts (hello, clippers).

yet by the same lotto-ball bounces of chance, i'd say that rod thorn has been compensated for his steals equally well by the number of them that turned into busts.

i'll start the ball rolling here with my comments. feel free to correct my errors and fill in missing information- i'll add your (accurate) comments into this post, give you credit, and rep you if i haven't already. and remember that before you rip thorn apart that it's approximately 10,000-times easier to judge a player a couple years after the draft than it is on the big day.

2009- 1 (11) Terrence Williams- good defender, athlete, passer. horrible shooter. will he be able to put it all together?
2008- 2 (?) Chris Douglas-Roberts- yet another thorn-ish draft steal.
2008- 1 (21) Ryan Anderson- backup PF marksmen with solid all-around game.
2008- 1 (10) Brook Lopez- top pick who somehow slipped down to the nets. franchise player.
2007- 1 (17) Sean Williams- "steal of the draft" who seems to lack the head to turn into an NBA player.
2006- 1 (22) Marcus Williams- "steal of the draft" who (so far) seems to lack the head to turn into an NBA player.
2006- 1 (23) Josh Boone- solid rotation player, 4/5 backup and general overachiever.
2006- 2 (24) Hassan Adams- fan-favorite energy guy not quite good enough to hack the NBA.
2005- 1 (15) Antoine Wright- good character, good athlete, good rotation player... was never going to be an NBA starter no matter how much we hoped.
2005- 2 (13) Mile Ilić- seemed an enormous steal at the time but apparently not NBA material. why, exactly?
2004- 1 (22) Viktor Khryapa- W?W?W?W?
2004- 2 (22) Christian Drejer- W?W?W?W?
2003- 1 (22) Zoran Planinić- seemed smart at the time but was never going to make it in the NBA as a guard (ie, too tall, too slow).
2003- 2 (22) Kyle Korver- wonderful shooter inexplicably traded for cash.
2002- 1 (24) Nenad Krstić- clever pick that turned into a decent NBA starting center.
2002- 2 (25) Tamar Slay- super-athlete who didn't turn into an NBA player.
2001- 1 (7) Eddie Griffin- super-athletic prospect that thorn turned into RJ, twin, and a backup PG. thorn's grand-slam pick (or rather pick-trade) with the nets.
2001- 2 (6) Brian Scalabrine- underathletic but high-BBIQ player in the luke walton mold. rotation-level player who's currently not needed in boston.
2000- 1 (1) Kenyon Martin- the best of an underwhelming draft, who shaped up to be a very potent (but undersized) PF before being lamed by microfracture surgery.
2000- 2 (7) Soumaila Samake- who? what? when? where?

Last edited by gigantes : 01-09-2010 at 11:36 PM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Rod Thorn's draft history

I still don't understand why they let Hassan go. For what he was, he was good for the Nets.

Antoine was clearly a bad pick, even then. The others I had no idea, but Danny Granger was sitting there. He was projected as high as 6, I thought they'd take him. If not him, Hakim Warrick was good too.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

in case you missed it, "net income" just did a fascinating run down of the history of thorn's moves with the nets. and he grades every move.

Thorn Report Card: Post-Deadline Edition
http://www.netsdaily.com/blog/?p=606
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
k-vil
It's Time!

k-vil has decent reputation

Imo, one of the best move was when they traded eddie griffin who in return we got RJ and turned into a player who helped this team a lot.
k-vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

He didn't really draft in 2004. That was sold to Portland.

I'd say he's pretty good, but I'd probably would've made several different choices. Overall, I'm not mad at all at history. You hit, you miss, and luckily, he's hit more than miss.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
He didn't really draft in 2004. That was sold to Portland.
and i see the 2nd-round pick crashed and burned, never even making it to the NBA. the first post needs an update, heh.

how good could thorn have been if he had someone like jerry buss for an owner?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: