Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #31
adamcz
Bucks fan

Come on GeeWiz, we'll never be able to convince somebody else to use the Wizards in our league. The game isn't even out yet, so nobody's used to it. I haven't played 2k since 2k3, and I haven't played any basketball game at all for a year. Join up!
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #32
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Maybe we can circumvent the issue by just having 30 people in the league (or close to it).

In my 6 years of online leagues (yep, since back in the 56k days), I've NEVER seen a league with more than 16 players succeed...

Quote:
I'll join you guys in the second season. I gotta have time to get used to the game. I'm a really slow learner. and I haven't played any videogames in at least a month or so and haven't played a 2k series game in years.

I guess that makes sense if you play leagues to win EVERY game. Part of the enjoyment is playing with folks you "know" and enjoying your team's stats and progress...
konex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #33
Zombles
Local High School Star

I don't see why Younggrease and Adamcz have problems with a few ratings restrictions, maybe you guys could elaborate your concerns a bit more.

The 2k series is about simulation + reality, we play it over Live because live is pick-up-and-play arcadey basketball. So it makes sense that we don't have teams like

Wade
McGrady
Peja
Okafor
Ming

running around, pretty much nullifying any simulation aspect of the game, just turning it into whoever gets hot first wins the game.

And Konex is right, leauges past 16 players don't work, even with 16 we'll probably get 1 or 2 flaky *****es. It only makes sense, if we have half the number of teams the NBA has, we'll have twice as many stars on each team. It just doesn't make for very interesting basketball to me.

But I mean if you guys are dead-set on all-star teams that's fine, I'll just draft (semi)realistic teams anyways and see how I do.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #34
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

Yeah, I was just gonna try to draft the current Lakers team as well
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #35
Younggrease
Banned

Default ....

I played with 10 people in my last league.

My team was by far the best and i went undefeated.

I had

Mobley(80)/SAranus(81)
Carter(95)/ McCants(77)
Odom(84)/ Korver(79)
Chandler(81)/ Brian Cook(72)
Ming (88)/ J. Prysbilla(74)

why would you care if we all had teams like that.

the team is not that loaded.... i dont see whats wrong with having teams like that. IT doesnt make playing any easier or harder because every1 has good players. Its a fantasy league. I rather have someone with a good team spread the ball around than someone pick a bad team and shoot with wade everytime.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #36
adamcz
Bucks fan

Zombles, if we had 16 teams, whoever gets the 1st pick would also get the 32nd and 33rd pick, and then no more until the 60's. What kind of players are available in the early 30's? Maybe if I can visualize exactly how good these teams will be, it will be easier for me to see why it's a problem.

If somebody took Amare with their first pick, and was lucky enough to get Nash and Marion with their next two picks, would it be a problem? That's a real NBA team, but it also sounds like the scenario we're supposed to be worried about.

Under your proposal, half of the good players in the NBA wouldn't be in our league? I guess we'd also have to have a rule against picking up free agents?

I'll try to keep an open mind about this, but I need to be shown why it'll hurt the integrity of our league.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #37
abuC
Cuba

Well, the guys who make 2k7 mentioned that the leagues can be set up so that the whole all-star team thing can be avoided.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #38
adamcz
Bucks fan

abuC, can you say that another way? I don't know what you mean.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #39
abuC
Cuba

That you can set up the leagues, so teams arent loaded with superstars. They mentioned something about a system being in place so that teams arent filled from top to bottom with superstars.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #40
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Zombles, if we had 16 teams, whoever gets the 1st pick would also get the 32nd and 33rd pick, and then no more until the 60's. What kind of players are available in the early 30's? Maybe if I can visualize exactly how good these teams will be, it will be easier for me to see why it's a problem.

If somebody took Amare with their first pick, and was lucky enough to get Nash and Marion with their next two picks, would it be a problem? That's a real NBA team, but it also sounds like the scenario we're supposed to be worried about.

That's a single NBA team, and probably the most talented trio in the entire leauge. You'd see trios like that on every team under the free draft, which is fine I guess, just not my cup of tea.

But, like I said, if people are divided against it just let people draft however they want. The more simulation people will go for more realistic teams and the others will go for whatever they want.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #41
adamcz
Bucks fan

If there's a built-in system to prevent this like abuC says, maybe we'll use it. I would be a lot more comfortable with a built-in system than an an your honor system, which would probably create a lot of extra work for Kwajo and I to enforce.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #42
toneloc103
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
ITs a bad idea... I have played in many leagues and have had no problems. Its too restrictive.... and takes the fun out of it.
Co-Sign. I have played in at plenty of 12-16 team leagues, and while the talent is more than a regular NBA team would have, what is wrong with that? Believe me, if you have 25-30 people in, those bench scrubs will look real ugly on your squad.
toneloc103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #43
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

I still don't get why folks are so opposed to using regular teams. It would solve all this easily.

Folks who want a ton of stars can pick power teams and others could just pick their favorite...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #44
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
I still don't get why folks are so opposed to using regular teams. It would solve all this easily.

Folks who want a ton of stars can pick power teams and others could just pick their favorite...

im good with picking regular teams but id rather draft, i like the strategy.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #45
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

There's not gonna be much strategy (in drafting AND in games) if the league isn't packed. Every game will be like a Suns game lol
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: