Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 09-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Default Maloofs make a ***** move!

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/22752.html

Arena talks stall between Maloofs, city and county
Leaders will push ballot measure with or without the Kings
By Mary Lynne Vellinga - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 3:33 pm PDT Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

Discussions between the city and county of Sacramento and the Kings owners over the terms of building an new arena in the downtown Sacramento railyard have stalled.

The pro-arena forces were left Wednesday with the very real possibility that they may be campaigning for a new sales tax to build an arena in the railyard without the Maloofs, owners of the local NBA franchise, on board.

"We still consider them part of our team, but it is our arena, and we will decide where it goes, and the public has said loud and clear that the best place for the arena is in the railyard," said Assistant City Manager John Dangberg, who has represented the city in talks with the team.

County and city staff members had committed to producing a memorandum of understanding with detailed deal terms by Oct. 6. But even if that document never materializes, the ballot measure to raise the sales tax by a quarter cent remains on the November ballot, Dangberg said. So does a companion advisory measure asking voters if they want to spend about half the $1.2 billion in new taxes on an arena and the other half on community projects.

Disputes with the Maloofs have centered on parking, the amount of land that will be set aside for the arena, and uses immediately surrounding it, said those involved in the negotiations.

Joe Maloof said Wednesday he supports the idea of putting a new arena in the railyard, but won't go along with it if it means it will put "the franchise in jeopardy."

Man it's like they sabotaged something they supposedly wanted really badly. I'm guessing the *****es just want to move the team to Anaheim.

I hate life right about now
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

I think your over reacting. I don't see this being anything more than the city trying to act like they have some sort of power in this too. It seems like they are trying to make the public believe the Maloofs aren't pushing them into a new arena, they are actually doing it of their own free will.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Targus™
Good college starter

i agree with big boi, the city has it's own powers seperate from the Maloofs. More people would definitely vote for it if they had a sense of support from the city and county where they live rather than being pushed to vote yes by some rich guys.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Buck
I airball my layups

I'm not surprised because Joe Maloof announced on KHTK last week that a "yes" vote would not guarantee that the arena would be built at the railyard. Three sources of income (for the Kings) would probably be reduced at the railyard location. 1. There would be less parking because plans are to use alternate sources to transport fans to the games--shuttle busses, light rail, etc. 2. There would be an assortment of eating establishements outside the arena where fans could visit before and after the games. 3. Sales of NBA products: I'm assuming that shops selling these products would sprout up in the redeveloped area.

So the present set-up at ARCO regarding parking, food sales, and NBA product sales is practically a monopoly. The city will attemp to provide as few parking spaces as possible in order to reserve the land for developments which would favor the city.

Hopefully, this will be just a bump in the road, but without the Maloofs' support for a downtown arena, proposition Q and R may be in trouble.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
Targus™
Good college starter

there will be peaks and valleys throught these arena negotiations, this is just a bump in the road, there are more to come for sure...
Old 09-13-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I'm not surprised because Joe Maloof announced on KHTK last week that a "yes" vote would not guarantee that the arena would be built at the railyard. Three sources of income (for the Kings) would probably be reduced at the railyard location. 1. There would be less parking because plans are to use alternate sources to transport fans to the games--shuttle busses, light rail, etc. 2. There would be an assortment of eating establishements outside the arena where fans could visit before and after the games. 3. Sales of NBA products: I'm assuming that shops selling these products would sprout up in the redeveloped area.

So the present set-up at ARCO regarding parking, food sales, and NBA product sales is practically a monopoly. The city will attemp to provide as few parking spaces as possible in order to reserve the land for developments which would favor the city.

Hopefully, this will be just a bump in the road, but without the Maloofs' support for a downtown arena, proposition Q and R may be in trouble.

Im sure the higher ticket prices will take care of the other financial stuff to some extene.

BTW: STOP USING BIG/BOLD COLORED FONTS! its annoying
Old 09-14-2006, 12:54 AM   #7
Buck
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
Im sure the higher ticket prices will take care of the other financial stuff to some extene.

BTW: STOP USING BIG/BOLD COLORED FONTS! its annoying

Ticket prices will be the same regardless of the location of the new arena. Joe Maloof stated that he would be in favor of a downtown arena but won't go along with it if it means that the franchise will be put in jeopardy.

Joe Maloof is concerned about less revenue from parking, food sales, and NBA product sales. It sounds like he wants the city to "sweeten the deal" to compensate him for these decreases in revenue.

There is no advantage to Maloof Sports and Entertainment in having the new arena at the railyard. However, having an arena as the centerpiece of the redevelopment project would benefit the city of Sacramento tremendously.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
Targus™
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Ticket prices will be the same regardless of the location of the new arena. Joe Maloof stated that he would be in favor of a downtown arena but won't go along with it if it means that the franchise will be put in jeopardy.

Joe Maloof is concerned about less revenue from parking, food sales, and NBA product sales. It sounds like he wants the city to "sweeten the deal" to compensate him for these decreases in revenue.

There is no advantage to Maloof Sports and Entertainment in having the new arena at the railyard. However, having an arena as the centerpiece of the redevelopment project would benefit the city of Sacramento tremendously.

exactly, which is why I would be so much more supportive of the arena if it went there, if they decided to put it somewhere else...i'd support it, but not with as much enthusiasm and such.

btw: hey i could actually read your post this time .
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 AM   #9
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

I really do not believe that the ticket prices will not rise dramatically with a new arena.

A new arena would have more luxury court side seats and more box seats which are very expen$ive and bring the maloof$ money. Which I think they like
Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #10
Targus™
Good college starter

as much as i hope they don't, I would think ticket prices would go up. last time i checked, the Kings were already in the top 3 in highest-ticket prices. only LA and NY are more expensive.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:35 AM   #11
Buck
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
I really do not believe that the ticket prices will not rise dramatically with a new arena.

A new arena would have more luxury court side seats and more box seats which are very expen$ive and bring the maloof$ money. Which I think they like

A bit of clarification is needed here. I assume the arena would have the same amenities (luxury boxes, etc.)whether it is built downtown or in another area such as Natomas. I believe the arena would continue to sell out in either scenario--The income from ticket sales would be identical.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: