Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
23jordan23
Great young streetballer

23jordan23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Gerald Wallace Sweepstakes ??

I honestly hope Rators can do all they can to get this guy,since Vince left we have lacked a versatile player who can rack up points inside.. we have our inside covered with regards to our big man..we have our shooters.. all I think were missing is a athletic player who can get inside..slash ..draw fouls ...the bonus with G Wallace is he's not only a offensive weapon but he can block..steal and reb..plus he can come in and start right away...let's face it moon isnt a solidified NBA Starter same goes for Parker..They would be soo much more effective off the bench..

I heard Bocats were interested in Moon and Bargnani..as amazing as bargnani is playing,I feel playing alongside Bosh will never make him the Allstar that we hope for him to be..he needs to be on a team were he can be the number1 or 2 option..and also start...in order to get u have to give..and he could be our only appealing piece to make a deal ..lets be real here..I know im gona have alot of people disagreeing ..but again this is just my opinion....we still aren't good enough to get past the 2nd round..A trade has to be done in terms of needs and what we need is a swingman/athletic sf

..does anyone have an update on if the Raps are still perusing Wallace?
23jordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Gerald Wallace Sweepstakes ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23jordan23
I honestly hope Rators can do all they can to get this guy,since Vince left we have lacked a versatile player who can rack up points inside.. we have our inside covered with regards to our big man..we have our shooters.. all I think were missing is a athletic player who can get inside..slash ..draw fouls ...the bonus with G Wallace is he's not only a offensive weapon but he can block..steal and reb..plus he can come in and start right away...let's face it moon isnt a solidified NBA Starter same goes for Parker..They would be soo much more effective off the bench..

I heard Bocats were interested in Moon and Bargnani..as amazing as bargnani is playing,I feel playing alongside Bosh will never make him the Allstar that we hope for him to be..he needs to be on a team were he can be the number1 or 2 option..and also start...in order to get u have to give..and he could be our only appealing piece to make a deal ..lets be real here..I know im gona have alot of people disagreeing ..but again this is just my opinion....we still aren't good enough to get past the 2nd round..A trade has to be done in terms of needs and what we need is a swingman/athletic sf

..does anyone have an update on if the Raps are still perusing Wallace?

i love to see Wallace here too.. but don't feel we should give up Bargs, simply because he is only 22

maybe give up Moon + Kapono? or Parker??

how abt: Moon + Parker + Kapono .. for Wallace and a crappy PG of theirs?
(then we move solomon to SG.. or depth)
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
i love to see Wallace here too.. but don't feel we should give up Bargs, simply because he is only 22

maybe give up Moon + Kapono? or Parker??

how abt: Moon + Parker + Kapono .. for Wallace and a crappy PG of theirs?
(then we move solomon to SG.. or depth)

Wallace is on another level compared to the guys you just mentioned. Unfortunately It seems Toronto would have to give up Bargnani in order to receive anything valuable in return. Ofcourse, If Colangelo can pull some tricks out of his hat, I'll shutup. lol
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Bargnani is probably going the other way if Toronto has a chance of getting Wallace. They have a large hole at the 4 (May is useless) and unless they somehow get a legit centre, Okafor ain't going back to his natural position.

I have some reservations how Wallace would play in such a slow tempo offense with his jumpshot but he would still be a huge talent upgrade.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would probably trade anyone but Bosh, O'Neal and Calderon. Not 100% sure on that yet but getting there.

If the Raptors are sending Bargnani away, I'd prefer to get some kind of cheap serviceable big back in return just for depth purposes. Charlotte has Sean May but he is still seemingly totally out of shape and an injury risk as well. Wallace/May for Bargnani/Kapono/1st rounder?

The good:
- You get your above-average wing player who is still young and productive.
- Wallace has a very reasonable contract based on his talent level.
- You get rid of Kapono's contract.

The bad:
- Injury risks. Injury risks. INJURY RISKS.
- If May is still out of shape then you have Humphries playing 20 minutes per game. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing at the moment.
- Wallace is more of an SF than anything. Does Parker still have to log huge minutes at SG?

I do think the time for the Raptors to try to win is now. That's what the Jermaine O'Neal trade signified to me. Yes, Bargnani can still become a good scoring PF in the NBA but how does that fit into the Raptors? To me, the only reason to keep him around is as a contingency plan for Bosh leaving in 2010. But, IMO, the best thing to do and stop that from happening is win and win a lot these next 2 years. Gerald Wallace has a long contract but if he stays healthy (I know, BIG if) then his per year $$ amounts are a bargain in this league. It's not like his deal will prevent the Raptors from re-signing Bosh to the max.

I'd rather go after a Mike Miller/Craig Smith combo from Minnesota but they have no need for Bargnani there with Jefferson and Love looking like the future frontcourt. The Twolves probably also wouldn't take Kapono's contract after finally shedding themselves of Marko Jaric's. My reasoning for Charlotte accepting Kapono is that the Raptors would be taking back 2 injury risks.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 11-20-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Im iffy with this guy.. he seems like a problem if he reaches Toronto.

Someone trustworthy is more in this situation someone like
Caron Butler, Mike Miller, AL Harrington, etc.

But all very hard to get
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Caron Butler is probably near-impossible to get. Miller and Harrington are more realistic.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

I am hesitant to trade Bargs at this point in the season when his value is still low, but rising. If he can string a few good games together, with his improved D, the value of a skilled, 22 year old, mobile 7 footer is very high around the league.

He would be ideal for a system like GS or the Knicks (if only Bierdrins hadn't blown up this year maybe they could have stolen him).

The other problem is his rookie scale contract means we are going to have to pile a few together to get a legit player, killing the Raps already poor depth.

Wallace is certainly worth it from a talent standpoint...but with his history of concussion and long contract it makes it a much dicier proposition.

I'd almost rather they go after a solid rotation guy and couple good roleplayers...then go for a home run player like Wallace.

Something like Miller and Gomes+ filler big, or Outlaw and Blake+ Webster. Mind, I'm not sure how realistic that trade is.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Something like Miller and Gomes+ filler big, or Outlaw and Blake+ Webster. Mind, I'm not sure how realistic that trade is.
Those would be good trades but Minnesota and Portland happen to be poor trading partners. Raptors #1 trading piece to get that good swingman is Bargnani. Portland has Oden and Aldridge. Minnesota has Jefferson and Love. Bargnani isn't going to start over any of those guys (ok he might over Love THIS season but I don't see it down the road).
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

If Colangelo put Bargnani on the market it would be interesting to see who would become available. But I would much rather not trade Bargnani and certainly not for any Wallace deal. Bargnani is worth a lot more then a risky personality with serious injury potential.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

i think we'd lose too much to get for wallace, i think we should sign darius miles to a minimum contract and see what he can do, if he can get back and healthy, i'dbe more than happy to have him starting for us
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

I'd rather target JRich than Wallace, he seems like a much more reliable offensive player (as in he is more consistent in creating his own shots) and would still be an upgrade defensively over any of our current swingmen.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

j rich is awsome, but hes also on about $12 million a season, which is just too much for us when you include, JO, bosh, calderon
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Raptors trade bait 08/09 salaries:

Jason Kapono: $5.78 million
Andrea Bargnani: $5.17 million
Anthony Parker: $4.55 million (expiring)
Kris Humphries: $3.2 million
Joey Graham: $2.45 million (expiring)
1st round pick: probably somewhere around $1.5 million

The targets:

Gerald Wallace: $8.29 million
Jason Richardson: $12.22 million
Mike Miller: $9 million
Al Harrington: $9.23 million
Shane Battier: $6.37 million

It basically comes to down Colangelo being allowed to go into the luxury tax. Otherwise any trade the Raptors make has to be EXACTLY the same salaries going both ways and no 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals since the Raptors only have 12 non-injured players (13 with Jawai) on the roster.

(forgot to add the 1st round pick)

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 11-20-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #15
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
i think we'd lose too much to get for wallace, i think we should sign darius miles to a minimum contract and see what he can do, if he can get back and healthy, i'dbe more than happy to have him starting for us

Boston wouldn't even keep Miles on the Roster for the minimum when the vast majority of the point was to screw over Portlands cap situation. That does not speak well to his current ability.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: