Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far
Default Reaction to Perkins' dunk defines Raptors

You just have to look at the reaction or lack of reaction to the dunk Kendrick Perkins brought from the Raptors especially Bosh.

Okay, so Perkins got a technical; he deserved it. Up by over 20 and you are celebrating like an idiot like it was the first time he ever dunked a ball. Maybe if it was a close game I could see it a bit more. He is only a somebody because a guy by the name of Garnett came to Boston. Another than that he is a nobody.

Having said this what did the Raptors do; nothing. They have no toughness other than O'Neal. Perkins flails his arms into Bosh and what does Bosh do; nothing. If it was O'Neal he would have gotten into the face of Perkins and probably been 'T'ed up himself. The Raptors need more fight and just do not seem to care enough.

Sure Bosh showed some frustration but even after the New Jersey game his quote was 'It's not a tough loss because we made so many mistakes.' Really. So it was an easy loss?

As much as Bosh has great stats the one thing he is missing is some fire and inner toughness that a guy like Garnett has. If some guy disrespects you, your team or knocks down a teammate hard you go after him. Bosh respects opponents too much or is scared. Maybe he does not want to rue his 'reputation'. Who knows?!! Unfortunately, the lack of toughness has been the story (lack of toughness) since Oakley last played for the team.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona

T.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this board
Default Re: Reaction to Perkins' dunk defines Raptors

The celts raped the raptors of all their dignity yesterday, but it is true j.o is the only fool on the team that brings toughness. The Raptors are a soft team, bosh has always been soft, i'm hoping some of j.o's toughness rubs off on em...
T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

Oddlly....though he plays no defense, Jose is fairly tough in term of not taking **** from people. He looked ready to throw down with KG, if only that intensity translated to guarding people. I would love to aquire someone like Craig Smith to bully guys around off the bench.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Yeah I was pretty embarrassed to be a Raptors fan after that, I can handle losing to a better team. But for Perkins to get away with that on our home court is just embarrassing.

Did you see the wry smile on Doc Rivers face after that. You could tell he wasnt going to do anything but a atta boy from Doc for the tech foul.

Your right too about JO. If JO was in the game he would have likely got T'd up for going after Perkins. And that could've lit a fire under the Raps.

I really hope JO's knee heals fast, cause our season so hinges on his wonky knee.

One other thing.... how many times does Sam have to get out coached before BC cans him.

And another...... What is with Jamario Moon, is he a total Puss.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
huppcap
Local High School Star

If O'Neal did not injure his knee perhaps they would have won against New Jersey. Again inside toughness. The last part of the 4th quarter they allowed New Jersey several easy layups.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Pretty much my sentiments exactly from the "Bosh is frustrated" thread. I mean, I know Bosh has a strong inner desire to win, but i'd like to see him a bit more fired up on the court when his team gets down or i'd like to see him get in guys faces and tell them where they need to be. He does it to an extent but last night he was slouching just like everyone else and it was discouraging to see.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

YaoMing4MVP has an OK reputation so far

When it's said and done, it's just 2 bad games. 1 was a heartbreaker and vs Boston we didn't stand a chance anyways. Let's not blow this out of proportion. Remember guys, during the 06-07 season, we were 7-14 after 21 games and managed to take the division title. This is nothing, absolutely nothing. Worst case scenario, JO is injurred and sidelined for the remainder of the season, we'll still make the playoffs. No worries.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
huppcap
Local High School Star

They were 2 bad games and I am not in panic mode. They have shown some flashes on how good they can play.

On the other side their defense is not the best. I don't know if it can get much better. Obviously if they play like they have since their 3-0 start playoffs is out of the question.

You can't really teach toughness. Parker, Hump, Moon, Graham, Bargnani, etc. have no desire to get in the faces of other players. Their killer instinct is not there. They have blown too many 16+ leads in the 3rd quarter.

If things have not changed by the end of December perhaps a coaching change is required just to do something to try to turn the ship albeit I don't put all the blame on the coach. BC and the players have to take responsibility as well.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
You can't really teach toughness. Parker, Hump, Moon, Graham, Bargnani, etc. have no desire to get in the faces of other players. Their killer instinct is not there. They have blown too many 16+ leads in the 3rd quarter.
The thing is, Bosh doesn't have that desire either, and he's the team leader... If you look at a team like the Celtics, people like Ray Allen, Leon Powe, Eddie House, Rajon Rondo, etc.. didn't have that swaggar about them before being teamed up with a guy like KG. Our overall persona reflects that of our team leader who is usually calm and reserved when things are going badly.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
The thing is, Bosh doesn't have that desire either, and he's the team leader... If you look at a team like the Celtics, people like Ray Allen, Leon Powe, Eddie House, Rajon Rondo, etc.. didn't have that swaggar about them before being teamed up with a guy like KG. Our overall persona reflects that of our team leader who is usually calm and reserved when things are going badly.

I agree just like I have heard others say the same thing. Garnett was the difference maker. You replace him with a guy (say a guy like Amare Stoudamire) with similiar athletic ability and offensive career stats and no way Boston wins the title. He leads by example and makes his teammates accountable. Pierce never played the way he did last season and in the playoffs until Garnett got there. For Pierce it was once all about trying to out shoot the other team.

And yes they have a swagger. Having said this I think the Celtics are a bit too arogant now and let's face it they seem to have received some good calls (or non-calls) against the Raptors so far this year and KG with his taunting finger wagging was bush league. (which is a different story)

But it does take some swagger to be a good team; something which the Raptors are missing as a team.

It starts with the leader. I know O'Neal has stated he does not want to come in and step on toes since he is not necessarilly the go to guy but he is older and more of a veteren than Bosh. Maybe he has to get into Bosh's head (Oakley/Carter relationship) and maybe take some of the leadership role.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

That's an interesting suggestion. Maybe they should make JO co-captain. I mean obviously Bosh is our best overall player but I think JO could take more of a vocal role in holding people accountable on the defensive end and getting people fired up. It could be beneficial.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
That's an interesting suggestion. Maybe they should make JO co-captain. I mean obviously Bosh is our best overall player but I think JO could take more of a vocal role in holding people accountable on the defensive end and getting people fired up. It could be beneficial.

I don't think I've really watched JO a lot during his Indiana days but was he a vocal leader on that team??

Because so far from what I've seen, he doesn't seem to talk a lot.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
I don't think I've really watched JO a lot during his Indiana days but was he a vocal leader on that team??

Because so far from what I've seen, he doesn't seem to talk a lot.

When he was the leader of the Indiana team they were consistently in the lottery. Prior to that Reggie Miller was the leader of the team. Don't confuse a team's leader with a team's best player.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Here's the video of Perkins screaming like an idiot. For those that didn't watch the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6zTHYAv8rI
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
When he was the leader of the Indiana team they were consistently in the lottery. Prior to that Reggie Miller was the leader of the team. Don't confuse a team's leader with a team's best player.
Miller was the leader because he was a multiple year veteran long before JO, Artest, and others even came into the league. He was the vocal leader because of that reason, so it doesn't mean that JO is incapable of doing so... I would like to see a lot more of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlgMhQT0aKQ from other guys.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: