Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #16
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Good luck. I hope u don't do wrose than everyone else.

Sorry i only correct it not do it.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #17
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
SAT > ACT.

the following is not a rant at you just in general.

I think it's a rite of passage for all college bound kids to have to take an unreasonably long and extremely faulty test. the ACT is nothing more than an out for kids who don't have attention spans. If you can't handle a 5 hour test do you think you can handle 3 kids and a high pressure job in the real world? don't think so. SAT wins on that alone. it's long and it's hard and it's stupid just like life. Im not a fan of the ACT.

I also heard from a friend of activist groups trying to get rid of the SAT and make the ACT universal. I guess it's just one more way to make everything easy for kids these days. colleges lowering standards all over the place, college grads can't name the Vice Prez, high school graduates can't add and subtract. it's pathetic. in calculus we can do basically everything in seconds on a graphing calculator. used to be people had to look up trig functions in a book and work them out by hand, they had slide rules, it was work, it was hard and it required logic every step of the way. now calculus is a joke. just like school.

I know plenty of people who scored low on their ACTs and opted to take the SAT and did much better. Its not like the ACT nor SAT are that hard. And the ACT isn't necessarily short. But the SAT is far too long IMO. Its not a cop out, and the only reason you're probably *****ing about it is because the school you're going to doesn't accept ACT.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #18
vapid
Paranoid Android

People who are better at reading and writing as opposed to math usually score better on the ACT. However, it's probably a good idea to take both. I got a 35 on it, but wasnt allowed to use my calculator. I remember that I had to blaze through the essay or short response or whatever, and still didn't get to finish, so you might want to watch out for that.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Yeah seriously Geewiz, if you were going to bash the ACTs, you could have at least read up on them a little more.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #20
geeWiz15
Banned

Quote:
I know plenty of people who scored low on their ACTs and opted to take the SAT and did much better. Its not like the ACT nor SAT are that hard. And the ACT isn't necessarily short. But the SAT is far too long IMO. Its not a cop out, and the only reason you're probably *****ing about it is because the school you're going to doesn't accept ACT.
the school Im going to accepts both.

I dont like the ACT for another reason. it's basically a test of how good your HS education was. which isn't nearly as relevant as what the SAT asks: how logical are you? you don't need a great education to succeed on the SAT but you do need reading comprehension and logic, the two most important things for college. that's why your friend did better on the SAT: probably because he didn't have a good HS education, he had crappy teachers, whatever, I don't know, but it doesn't mean he can't succeed in college.

changing officially from the ACT to the SAT creates an unfair disadvantage for kids who don't have good education systems. ACT measures more of what you know while SAT measures your ability to learn in college and beyond. I think the latter is more important. I dunno about you. suppose you haven't taken Trig yet? SAT requires nothing beyond a Geometry education and the ability to read. anybody can take it and how well you do depends purely on your cognitive ability. ACT is what has been drilled in your head over the last 3-4 years, which basically, when you get to college, you find doesn't help you much while your logic and reading comprehension are what you're gonna rely on.

and basically everyone tells me the ACT is easier than the SAT. usually because its almost 2 hours shorter.

Quote:
Yeah seriously Geewiz, if you were going to bash the ACTs, you could have at least read up on them a little more.
my English teacher last year told me all about the ACT. structure, time, what it tests for, what colleges want it. I just didn't know anything about the scoring.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #21
NugzFan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Anybody else taking it? I am aiming for at least a 30 so i can become auto accepted into aTm.

they automatically take anyone with a 30 act?
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #22
Suns4Life
Hey-OOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugzFan
they automatically take anyone with a 30 act?

When I was applying to college, A&M made you take the SAT there and get a 1300, I don't think they let you do it off campus.
Suns4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #23
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Geewiz, where you going?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #24
hotsizzle
Superstar

good luck man.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #25
JSub
Local High School Star

Words of advice to Hawker:

I hope you fail miserably and get rejected from ATM! YAH!! Have a good day.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #26
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

All the pressure of SATs ended for me last year, this year is the college pressure year.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #27
LakersDynasty
Good college starter

Good luck Hawker.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #28
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Words of advice to Hawker:

I hope you fail miserably and get rejected from ATM! YAH!! Have a good day.

Ok? Thanks. BTW i just finished and think i did pretty well. BTW Jsub i visited the professors and said i should already be in with a 33 on my math section but i just want to make sure i get a 30.

And for aTm if u get at least a 1300 on SAT or at least a 30 on ACT and in THE TOP 25% in ur class then ur auto accepted.

Also if ur top 10%. I am 24.4% in my class so i barely made it and i have a 3.6 GPA.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
JSub
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Ok? Thanks. BTW i just finished and think i did pretty well. BTW Jsub i visited the professors and said i should already be in with a 33 on my math section but i just want to make sure i get a 30.

And for aTm if u get at least a 1300 on SAT or at least a 30 on ACT and in THE TOP 25% in ur class then ur auto accepted.

Also if ur top 10%. I am 24.4% in my class so i barely made it and i have a 3.6 GPA.

Life is easy when you aim low, aint it?
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #30
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Life is easy when you aim low, aint it?

LOL i am aiming realistic goals. U on the other hand aim low when u see other guys.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: