Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #31
JSub
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
LOL i am aiming realistic goals. U on the other hand aim low when u see other guys.

I'm sure you're trying to be funny, but I dont understand this statement. :confused:
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
geeWiz15
Banned

Quote:
Geewiz, where you going?
James Madison U. Harrisonburg, VA. bout 3 hours from my house.

They take ACT or SAT:

http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/...48&profileId=6

I could probably make UVA/VAtech if I wanted to but I don't. Having visited and having friends at all 3 everything I hear is that JMU is the best school in VA to go to.. might not be the most prestigeous or whatever but that's overrated.

plus going to JMU means I don't have to worry about pressure. I hate the way kids senior years are marked by pressure and stress. its ridiculous. Ive never worried about school before why should I start now? to suck up to some college? thats not how I operate.

what school are you looking at?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #33
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

They take ACT or SAT:

I could probably make UVA/VAtech if I wanted to but I don't. Having visited and having friends at all 3 everything I hear is that JMU is the best school in VA to go to.. might not be the most prestigeous or whatever but that's overrated.

plus going to JMU means I don't have to worry about pressure. I hate the way kids senior years are marked by pressure and stress. its ridiculous. Ive never worried about school before why should I start now? to suck up to some college? thats not how I operate.

Prestige is not overrated, going to UVA would open up a lot more doors for whatever you want to do in life. It would also make life easy because a mediocre student at UVA has just as much opportunity as a top 5-10 at JMU.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #34
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Quote:

They take ACT or SAT:

If everything went right, I would go to NYU because I'm looking to study film and that's the 2nd best school in the country for film. The problem is, even if I'm accepted it's 56k a year with room and board so I don't want to be paying off student loans for the rest of my life. So my other schools are Emerson (still around 40k,) along with Ithaca and SUNY (may not be the best schools all around, but they have great film programs.)

USC would be my dream school, but with a 3.55 GPA and 1280 SAT I'd have to add 2 and 100 points respectivly to even have a shot, if only I was Reggie Bush.

Last edited by funkylikemonkey : 09-16-2006 at 02:38 PM.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #35
Younggrease
Banned

Default ...

i feel you there. I passed on NYU for the same reason and wwent to a lesser school for free. I knew i was going to grad school so my undergraduate wouldnt matter as much.

I have heard good things about Ithaca as well, are you a minority???
Old 09-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #36
geeWiz15
Banned

56k a year? you have GOT to go scholarship-hunting my friend. my educations gonna cost about 10k a year as long as I go instate. too bad youre living in a crap state like NJ or you could go that direction.

I know a couple people who are applying to NYU as a first choice.

Quote:
Prestige is not overrated, going to UVA would open up a lot more doors for whatever you want to do in life. It would also make life easy because a mediocre student at UVA has just as much opportunity as a top 5-10 at JMU.
I never bought that. if you're smart you're smart. if you're qualified you're qualified. the reason UVA/Duke/UNC kids get all the great jobs straight outta college is because they're the smartest kids in the country. if somebody is UVA smart, but goes to JMU, he isn't getting an inferior education. he's still the same person, he's still gonna make something of himself.

plus the field Im going into (sociology or psychology) isn't really a matter of "doors being opened." If I was going into corporate world or sciences or whatever than I could see that. but I just want to do experiments on people and write books about them when I grow up.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #37
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Well in terms of scholarship money from NYU the max they give is 14k and that's only to amazing students, which I'm not. Sure there are are other scholarships I'm applying for, but they'll barely make a dent in the NYU tuition.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #38
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
56k a year? you have GOT to go scholarship-hunting my friend. my educations gonna cost about 10k a year as long as I go instate. too bad youre living in a crap state like NJ or you could go that direction.

I know a couple people who are applying to NYU as a first choice.

I never bought that. if you're smart you're smart. if you're qualified you're qualified. the reason UVA/Duke/UNC kids get all the great jobs straight outta college is because they're the smartest kids in the country. if somebody is UVA smart, but goes to JMU, he isn't getting an inferior education. he's still the same person, he's still gonna make something of himself.

plus the field Im going into (sociology or psychology) isn't really a matter of "doors being opened." If I was going into corporate world or sciences or whatever than I could see that. but I just want to do experiments on people and write books about them when I grow up.

I thought the same way when I took a full schloarship at a lower school. You will learn, the students arent very smart. The classroom discussion is limited and opportunities just arent there unless you are at the very top. Im telling prestige matters. You will notice this at OCI, if JMU even has one. There will be like 1/10 the opportunities in psychology and socology. Im telling you the education will be inferior because the faculty is inferior and the surrounding students are inferior.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #39
geeWiz15
Banned

there are a million scholarships that most people don't know exist. depending on where you live, who you've worked for, who your parents have worked for, etc. it's more than just grades/SAT/whatever. if you or your parents have ever done anything in your life chances are you can find a scholarship for it.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #40
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

yo geewiz did u check the average salary for james madison and UVA?

That will usually tell u who does better
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #41
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Hawker, would you rather be rich and have no interest in what you do or just get by with a little extra and love what you do.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #42
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Hawker, would you rather be rich and have no interest in what you do or just get by with a little extra and love what you do.

thats not the point im trying to make. If u love to do something and at both colleges they have what u want then check to see which college has the higher salary and funky that avatar from the ring is deeply disturbing and nasty i request that u please get rid of it for the sake of others.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #43
Suns4Life
Hey-OOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Also if ur top 10%. I am 24.4% in my class so i barely made it and i have a 3.6 GPA.

I had a 4.1/5 GPA and i was barely in the top 25%
Suns4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #44
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
I had a 4.1/5 GPA and i was barely in the top 25%

4.1/5? what does that mean?

Does that just mean 4.15 or what.

how many people are in ur class
Old 09-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #45
Suns4Life
Hey-OOOOOOOOO

it is a 4.1 on a 5 point scale. My class was like 450 people.
Suns4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: