Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do the unthinkable?

Just remember that what ever plans your conjuring up there are a ton of teams that have been setting themselves up for the summer of 2010. What does that mean, once the top 3 - 5 players are gone everybody else is stuck overpaying the left overs. And of those top 3 - 5 players most will likely se-sign with their current teams.

2010 will turn out to be a very bad year for most teams.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #17
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416
We have a really good PG, one of the best PF's and players in the NBA. We have shooters, and we have a good defensive big. We have pieces to make trades by the deadline, and we have a ton of money coming off the books in 2010. It would make no sense to trade Bosh and be a lottery team for the next 5-6 years. If you think it does, you don't know basketball.

What would those be?

It's too early to tell, but it appears the Raps are in that danger zone of the NBA. Where you're an ok team....good enough to make the playoffs usually, but not good enough to do anything. To me, that is the worst place to be. Memphis was like that for years with Pau Gasol and you see how those situation ends. No real threat to win anything, not bad enough to have a good draft pick. On top of that, we're pennies away from the tax with basically 3 players capable of starting on NBA teams.

Last edited by RapsFan : 12-05-2008 at 10:10 PM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #18
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Marion was taken 8th overall I believe.

And this is purple blinders. To say that Bargs draft was horrible is a bit much and he doesn't have the highest ceiling! Roy is already an allstar after 2 years in the league. Bargs was a blown pick given we already had a PF and we needed a wing then, and still do now.

sorry i was thinking of stephen jackson in the 40s in 97 or so.. roy has already reached his ceiling, maybe still some room for improvement.. think of the possibilities for bargnani.. it will take time, but he has the highest ceiling in that draft 100% with the skillset he has as a seven footer.. obviously looking back at the draft it would make sense to take roy looking at the needs of the team, but nobody knew he would get that good that fast.. portland has a great set of scouts and has made their team the best up and coming teams in the league.. in a few years i believe bargnani will surpass any other player in that draft, including roy, and prove all the skeptics wrong..
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #19
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Interesting end to your post Toni.

I obviously can't say you are wrong because only time will tell, but I do have a hard time beleiving Bargnani will be better than Aldridge and Gay, and while Roy may have reached his cieling, the leadership and poise he brings to his team are things that I think Bargnani will never have.

I hope you're right though.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

the next coach will be important for Bargs. I think Sam didn't work well with Bargs and that did contribute to his demise last season.

As for blowing the team up.. With all the stuff that is happening to the raps, they are still one or two players away from making strong solid impacts to the season and in the playoffs. I prefer a team that makes it continuously to the 2nd round and has an impact on how other teams seasons fare.

A successful team is a team that other players get ready to play against, that is playoff bound every season, and just one player or one game away from going to the NBA finals. The raps can do that by the addition of one or two players.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 12-06-2008 at 12:39 PM.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #21
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

If we don't make it past the first round or make it to the playoffs this year the time to trade Bosh would be in the offseason because Bosh is a winner and he will leave the Raptors in 2010 to a team that will win. Bosh wants to win and his mind is open to go anywhere to win. What happens if in 2009 we have a bad season and bosh leaves just for nothing.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #22
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far

I hear Bosh is a winner? Where has he won? Other than on an Olympic team filled with stars.

I agree Bosh has some good qualities; character off the court and for the most part on it. His stats have been great for the most part this year. Part of it is the Jermaine O'Neal effect.

But Bosh's defense is not that stellar. Many were clamouring of how well he played defensively on Team USA. Of course that was against less athletic players compared to what he sees in the NBA every night. Put him on the same wing guys Bargnani has been playing and he would not fair any better. In fact I think Bargnani would fair better than Bosh guarding wings.

People talk of his leadership. There is some however he does not have enough edge or fire to him. Almost I see him cowardly. Case in point; they are getting drilled by the Celtics. Perkins does am emphatic dunk up by 20+ which results in a technical. He flails his arms in the air into Bosh in Bosh's house and Bosh does not react. If it was Jermaine O'Neal, Perkins would have been on his ass. Bosh did nothing. That is embarassing especially on home court. Should I mention he seems to wimp out against Garnett and not play aggressive enough. Sure he takes the ball to the basket at times but many times he flops or imbellishes the contact instead of taking it really strong at a guy.

I thought a bit that maybe Bosh is not the guy to lead a team to a championship. Sure he works hard but I think he misses some of the intangibles such as true toughness.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I totally agree.

I am sure more would crucify me, but I think Bosh is a fake franchise player. He's a hell of an offensive player, but he's an ideal #2 guy to a true leader/star. He could win 5 titles on the right team, as the #2, and be a HOF'er....but he's just not the #1 on any team that will do anything substantial. He can put up 35 pts, and not put any fear into the other team. He's the best we have though by far...but his numbers are inflated by our weak overall talent.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think Bosh can be a #1 option but only if he has a solid #2 option which so far, he hasn't had. I think Bosh could have a prime impact similar to that of Chris Webber. They have different games but impact-wise I think they will be similar. Both can be solid #1 options but not in the Lebron/Wade category. They need legit help.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 12-09-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #25
RapsFan
Great college starter

I hope you are right with the Webber thing.

Webber had a dominate impact on the Kings offense, with his passing, scoring etc. I just don't see that with Bosh. Impact isn't just % of team's points. Webber in his prime was a force.....didn't win a title, but was a force. I think teams feared Webber...built a game plan around Webber....right now, I don't feel that way about Bosh but I could obviously be wrong.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well that's why I say impact wise because they do have different games. Webber was a much better passer/playmaker and stronger in the post but Bosh right now is a more efficient scorer than Webber ever was. Bosh is shooting a slightly higher % overall than Webber but also getting the line more often and shooting far better from there.

But back in the Sacramento glory years, Peja and Bibby were good 2a and 2b scoring options behind Webber. It would be nice if Bosh had just one player like that on the perimeter to help out.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #27
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Well that's why I say impact wise because they do have different games. Webber was a much better passer/playmaker and stronger in the post but Bosh right now is a more efficient scorer than Webber ever was. Bosh is shooting a slightly higher % overall than Webber but also getting the line more often and shooting far better from there.

But back in the Sacramento glory years, Peja and Bibby were good 2a and 2b scoring options behind Webber. It would be nice if Bosh had just one player like that on the perimeter to help out.

The glory years of Sacramento - 2001 to 2003.. included Defensive SG Doug Christie which we don't have
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #28
RapsFan
Great college starter

And Vlade at C. They were a good team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: