Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 12-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #16
Kiddlovesnets
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Do You Regret Jefferson Trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
I don't know. Same sentence structure, mannerisms, and you both used that same avatar. Oh yeah, and you both say "play-off" instead of "playoffs," and it annoys the hell out of me for some reason.

Yep, it's your alias.

Well you can say whatever but I don't even know anything about the account of The Nets. He doesn't post too much in here so I don't expect him to ever become the Nets as we are.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #17
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

If you don't agree with what the Nets got, that's one thing. I can understand that. But my response do that would be give it time. Yi is still learning, and when this team is ready to compete, he could be a nice piece for the Nets. And Simmons is basically just an expirer, but as of late as been playing decently.

The key to the Nets success right now is just letting Devin do what he wants with the ball. If RJ was still here with VC, not sure how that'd work.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #18
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Like basically all Nets followers of any note, I was a massive Richard Jefferson fan. Emphasis on the word 'was'. I stopped being an RJ fan about a week into last season where it was apparent that his focus had shifted disturbingly. Like G said, he was no longer playing defense, and even though he had upped his intensity on offense, he wasn't having as positive an effect on the team has he had in the seasons prior. It wasn't just his play that turned me against him, it was his attitude and demeanor. It was obvious that he - like J-Kidd - was just out for himself and the that he considered himself and his numbers-per-game to be bigger than the sum of the team's parts. Add to this, reports by credible Nets beat writers that he had become increasingly jealous of Vince. By watching any number of games in the first couple of months of this past season, all of this was glaringly obvious.

You combine the above with his ridiculously overpriced salary (in terms of money for output he remains one of the top five or six most overpaid players in the NBA), and a trade had to be made otherwise the team would have been treading water at best for the next 4-5 years until we had some cap flexibility. I'm sorry to sound so blunt, but those of you who think we would be an elite Eastern Conference team (top 4) if the RJ trade had never have happened, are delusional. Just because you grow to love a player on your favorite team, doesn't mean that player should remain a part of it. I think it's hard (an understandably so, I guess) for a lot of people to look at RJ without rose-colored glasses.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Okay let's get back to the topic. Honestly, I did think we need to move RJ sooner or later since he apparently didn't seem to fit the Nets anymore. However, trading RJ for Bobby Simmons and Yi Jianlian was still retarded, and I don't consider it was the idea of Rod Thorn. Bruce Ratner must have played a significant role in this trade in order to dump RJ's contract for nothing but salary space(even no draft picks!!!). In order to evaluate a trade made by the Nets, we have to look at what we get in return.
But look at the Nets now.
Tell me the whole honest truth, did you think the Nets would be even close to the record they have now in the beginning of this season?
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
Kiddlovesnets
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing
But look at the Nets now.
Tell me the whole honest truth, did you think the Nets would be even close to the record they have now in the beginning of this season?

Well, the key players for our recent success are Devin Harris, Vince Carter and Brook Lopez, not those players we obtained from RJ's trade. The team could have done better if we got some better players from that deal, or simply not to make any moves at all.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Quote:
Well, the key players for our recent success are Devin Harris, Vince Carter and Brook Lopez, not those players we obtained from RJ's trade. The team could have done better if we got some better players from that deal, or simply not to make any moves at all.

I dont think thats true.
I agree we possibly could have gotten a better deal but Yi and Simmons arent THAT bad. I mean your comparing it to the Kwame for Pau deal thats just absurd. Yi and Simmons both some big games this season. Yi had 2, the Miami game and the Clippers game. Simmons is a streaky shooter but he contributes, dont think for one second that he hasnt done anything this season.
All I'm saying is this deal is not as bad as you say, yes RJ could have gone for more but in the long run, this deal is a decent, maybe even above average.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
Kiddlovesnets
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing
I dont think thats true.
I agree we possibly could have gotten a better deal but Yi and Simmons arent THAT bad. I mean your comparing it to the Kwame for Pau deal thats just absurd. Yi and Simmons both some big games this season. Yi had 2, the Miami game and the Clippers game. Simmons is a streaky shooter but he contributes, dont think for one second that he hasnt done anything this season.
All I'm saying is this deal is not as bad as you say, yes RJ could have gone for more but in the long run, this deal is a decent, maybe even above average.

Well you seem to have forgotten that the Grizzlies actually got Marc Gasol back in return and he's a better player than the sum of Simmons and Yi.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #23
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Quote:
Well you seem to have forgotten that the Grizzlies actually got Marc Gasol back in return and he's a better player than the sum of Simmons and Yi.
I wouldnt say that.
Would you rather have Marc Gasol than Yi and Simmons?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #24
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Quote:

How did you come to that conclusion?
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #25
gigantes
‪ ‪

honestly, yi does have a lot more upside than marc gasol.

i'm not an expert on him but marc looks like, at best, he will be a rotation center or one who's always going to be limited.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #26
rknine15
Buckets Baby

Nope, Jefferson didn't co-exist with Vince Carter Harris would have never been playing like this if RJ was still here. Even though Yi has been inconsistent he will figure it out and will have a huge positive impact to this team. The RJ trade also gives the Nets a lot of cap room by 2010.
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Yi and Simmons aren't great players, but they are not trash. Not at all.Trash does not score 27 points in a game shooting greater than 50%. We got back talent in the trade.

I really don't think we would have been that much better with RJ. Devin would not playing like this, Vince would not be playing/leading like he is, and everybody else would get less touches. RJ was never someone who could score in bunches. He has too force his way to every made basket.

I love RJ, but it was time for him to go.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

why is everyone so down on Simmons?

you can't compare RJ's contribution to the team versus Simmons' in terms of numbers

sure, Simmons won't get 22PPG

but if you look at the game logs

everytime the Nets win big, Simmons scores in double figures with several three pointers.

He is playing the Bruce Bowen type role. Sacrifices his stats by giving up his body on defense and working his best to D up the other team's best perimeter player.
Moreover, he spots up and shoots the three as the DDM offense requires the shooters to do.

seriously now. this guy contributes way more than what Jason Collins did and there seems to be immense hate for the guy.

are you waiting for Marv Albert and Mike Fratello to STATE EXPLICITLY what a great team glue guy and perimeter defender Simmons is before accepting what he brings to the team?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #29
Kiddlovesnets
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
How did you come to that conclusion?

I don't know. What I do know about is that Marc Gasol shoots nearly 57% from the field, not some numbers like 42% and 39%...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #30
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Quote:
I don't know. What I do know about is that Marc Gasol shoots nearly 57% from the field, not some numbers like 42% and 39%...

That's because his shots are much closer to the rim.

Anderson Varejao shoots it at 60%. Is he now a better player than Yi and Simmons combined, too?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: