Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year
 
Tarik One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,245
Default How many of you have a job in a..........

completely different field than the field you majored in college? I find that this happens to a lot of people, especially in my occupation: mortgages/real estate. I got 3 years and change invested in college and majored in accounting and information systems. However, I got 4 years of experience in mortgage loans and haven't looked back. I don't have any interest in working in accounting or info data whatsover.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
kentatm
NBA Legend
 
kentatm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 16,901
Default

i do. i majored in American Culture (we could buiold our own, its pretty much English and History, i just wanted to avoid certain teachers) and now im a photographer and weekend producer at a small market tv station.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
gaydad
I hit open layups
 
gaydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 100
Default

I've graduated in Pharmacy and now I school ignorant american posters. With passion
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
The Great Yeti
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 41
Default ...

Tarik how did you find accounting? I'm considering doing business with accounting just because it seems like a good tool to have. Do you find it useful even though you have changed areas?
The Great Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
kwajo
Missing Since 2009
 
kwajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the water
Posts: 5,869
Default

mine is pretty different, I have an honours degree in History but I work as an urban watershed analyst. Now they are not completely un-related, as I did historical geography and my job involves a lot of geography, but it has a ton of biology and ecological science that I have no formal education in whatsoever
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
Default

Majored in Information Systems History Technology Management Engineering, with a minor in English Sociological Psychology at University of Northwestern Yale Duke Princeton School of Harvard College. currently working in the field of Nighttime Gas Station Cashiering. It's a big up in prestige from my last job, Airline Security. I think I did pretty well for myself.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year
 
Tarik One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,245
Default

Quote:
Tarik how did you find accounting? I'm considering doing business with accounting just because it seems like a good tool to have. Do you find it useful even though you have changed areas?

Not your typical business course. It's tough. You have to put a lot time into it outside the classroom. Particularly from Acct 111 (Intermediate) on up. Try to take multiple accounting classes at once. From what I've heard from different CPAs, you will only be using about 25% of what you've learned in the classroom on the job anyways. Just getting through class is the hard part.

As for using accounting for my current profession, there's really no relation whatsover.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Shogon
High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Majored in Information Systems History Technology Management Engineering, with a minor in English Sociological Psychology at University of Northwestern Yale Duke Princeton School of Harvard College. currently working in the field of Nighttime Gas Station Cashiering. It's a big up in prestige from my last job, Airline Security. I think I did pretty well for myself.

lol.
Shogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Loki
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Not your typical business course. It's tough. You have to put a lot time into it outside the classroom. Particularly from Acct 111 (Intermediate) on up. Try to take multiple accounting classes at once. From what I've heard from different CPAs, you will only be using about 25% of what you've learned in the classroom on the job anyways. Just getting through class is the hard part.

As for using accounting for my current profession, there's really no relation whatsover.

What sort of knowledge/skills do you need to land a job in mortgages etc.? For instance, what were (what your employer felt to be) your relevant skills/knowledge upon getting the position?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,427
Default

I'm looking for a job upon graduation next spring.. It's tough, way tougher than applying to college. Well, I'm a major in East Asian Languages and Cultures, Asian American Studies, with a Business Minor. I'm pretty much not looking to study EALC anymore. I thought I wanted to become a professor in it, but I've been kinda-TAing a class and realized that I don't really want to teach. I just want to make money so I might have to drop it after I graduate which sucks cause I love studying it and writing articles that get published, fighting for AA rights, but I mean, in the end it's about supporting myself and my family. I've been applying only to big companies who might need someone with some business skills and can speak fluently in Japanese and Chinese.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year
 
Tarik One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,245
Default

Most people in real estate don't have much of a background in it. I know someone who was a 20+ plus doctor who left to become a mortgage loan officer. I stumbled into the field myself and kinda learned as I went.

To be a loan officer, all it really takes is some good sales skills. Most of the loan officers I know are former salesmen in the fields: cars, department stores and hustling. Unfortunately most of these positions are commission only. But if you got the knack, you can make some serious paper. Most brokers are will to train you too. For instance if you refinance a person on a 100k loan, on the average your percent is going to be 3 percent ($3,000) minus the split with your broker (broker get about 30 percent of your share), you make out fine.

On the Administrative side, you have he Loan processors, underwriters and loan approvers. These people make salary plus commission depending on the company you work for. For this, all it really takes is some good office skills and attention to detail.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #12
Loki
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Most people in real estate don't have much of a background in it. I know someone who was a 20+ plus doctor who left to become a mortgage loan officer. I stumbled into the field myself and kinda learned as I went.

To be a loan officer, all it really takes is some good sales skills. Most of the loan officers I know are former salesmen in the fields: cars, department stores and hustling. Unfortunately most of these positions are commission only. But if you got the knack, you can make some serious paper. Most brokers are will to train you too. For instance if you refinance a person on a 100k loan, on the average your percent is going to be 3 percent ($3,000) minus the split with your broker (broker get about 30 percent of your share), you make out fine.

On the Administrative side, you have he Loan processors, underwriters and loan approvers. These people make salary plus commission depending on the company you work for. For this, all it really takes is some good office skills and attention to detail.

Thanks for the thorough response.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
Heilige
An Icon Forever
 
Heilige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: location,location
Posts: 3,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Not your typical business course. It's tough. You have to put a lot time into it outside the classroom. Particularly from Acct 111 (Intermediate) on up. Try to take multiple accounting classes at once. From what I've heard from different CPAs, you will only be using about 25% of what you've learned in the classroom on the job anyways. Just getting through class is the hard part.

As for using accounting for my current profession, there's really no relation whatsover.


Why should you take multiple accounting classes at once, if just one is hard enough?-Acct 111 and up

What should I major in if I want to be a full scale innvestment broker?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Heilige
An Icon Forever
 
Heilige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: location,location
Posts: 3,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Thanks for the thorough response.



Loki, I was wondering what are you majoring in?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
exit
I brick open layups
 
exit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Why should you take multiple accounting classes at once, if just one is hard enough?-Acct 111 and up

What should I major in if I want to be a full scale innvestment broker?

finance

some of the accounting classes are similar to each other. so it is better to just take them at the same time.
exit is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy